Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Yeah, he looked much more like a 3/4 than a 4/5. Like I said, he did have some nice blocks and seemed to rebound well. But he did a lot of ball handling and started all his scoring attempts from the wing. He's not skinny like Ingram, but I think playing him at the 5 would be about like playing Tatum at the 5.

Agree 100%. I think we’re in that 5-7 range right now; as pleasantly constructed. Add Kum and I think we’re hands down #1. With Kum, there’s enough scoring and shooting that the 5 spot will only be needed for rebounding/defense.

eta that I feel that way as long as we have Kum or Hurt on the roster. I obviously prefer Kum as he’s a superstar. Surrounding the two stars we have(who are better shooters than RJ) with all the shooters we’ll have will easily be a top 5 offense for K. Not sure how good a Roach/Steward backcourt will be but I haven’t heard of either one of those guys being a poor defender. Kum/Johnson should be a pretty nasty wing pairing.
Roach is a really good defender. Think Lowry as a comparison. Steward I'm less sure about. He has the physical tools to defend well, but I haven't read or seen anything one way or the other.

Roach's shooting seems to have improved. So it's definitely possible he beats out Goldwire. But Goldwire will play. It's also worth noting we might have Johnson, Moore, and Steward all as capable PGs. Supposedly Steward has been running more point lately.

"Steward scored a game high 40 points including the game winning layup with just under a minute remaining to help Whitney Young complete a comeback victory. The Dolphins trailed by nine early and by eight at the break before the second half rally commenced.

Much of that second half surge was keyed by Steward who finished the game 14-of-20 from the field and 7-of-7 from the free throw line. The 6-foot-4 guard was a perfect 9-of-9 from inside the arc and shot 45 percent from the outside (5-of-11).

On the other side Love started strong and finished with a team high 19 points (9-of-22 FG), but missed seven of eight attempts from the outside. The future Tar Heel had a chance to tie the game on his team's last possession, but his drive to the basket was unsuccessful."

Steward is going to be incredible. Great signing.

I still say we need to land Bediako for back-up center.

Roach-Steward-Moore-Johnson-Williams with a bench of Goldwire-Baker-Brakefield-Coleman-Bediako is pretty damn good and versatile. I would imagine the rotations would be similar to this year and we could continue the defensive intensity with so much depth/versatility.

What are the draft projections for Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore? I'm assuming Jones, Stanley and Carey are locks to go. Would be really interesting to see what happens if Hurt and Moore come back. I have nothing to base this on, but I would imagine that Hurt is gone no matter what but Moore might be coming back. Again nothing to base that on other than just a gut feeling.

I actually think a sophomore Moore would be a huge help. When you look at our player development this past season with guys like Jones, Baker, Goldwire, etc it's pretty encouraging to think Moore would improve his outside shot as well as other areas of his games. With Roach maybe not a super impact guy from day one but serviceable, it wouldn't really matter since we would also have a senior Goldwire, Steward, and then Moore and Johnson capable of handling duties of bringing the ball up the floor. Roach could just focus on playing great defense and not turning the ball over.

Patrick Baldwin Jr

Hamilton (WI) 2021 small forward Patrick Baldwin Jr. was the top prospect in the Highland Shootout and he more than proved that against Chaminade (MO) on Saturday night. Wow was he impressive with his play! The 6’9” small forward is one of the most skilled players from a national stand point we have seen in recent memory. Opened up with a pair of feathery jumpers and from that point it was on! He had the crowd in the palm of his hands. Slippery drives to the cup handling and finishing with either hand equally well. Long strides allow him to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Scores well from all three levels and creates space on his shot. One area that I was really impressed with was his passing. High level decision maker that throws bullet passes. Great rebounder on the defensive end and swatted four shots. From an NBA comp standpoint we see some similarities to guys like Kevin Durant, Klay Thompson, and Jayson Tatum. Those guys are doing ok! He had 29 points (11-19 FG) and 12 rebounds.

I don't like that he answers this as though the other guys are UK bound:

Kentucky also extended an early scholarship offer to the elite junior wing.

“I love coach Calipari and the guys they have brought in. Talking with Paolo (Banchero) and (Kennedy) Chandler. I like the guys they are trying to build in that class. They will probably be on my list even though I haven’t released it. I think Kentucky is really high up there with me.”

^ Yeah that sounds rather odd, the inference about Chandler and Banchero. PB leaning that way wouldn't surprise me if true. KC would though, especially with how forthcoming he's been about being a Duke fan and wanting that offer.

Was glad to hear Baldwin wants to take an unofficial to Duke.

Goddamn it, it took you guys less than a week to fall off the wagon about next year. We said we wouldn't do this.

How quickly you forget the benefits of having the biggest, strongest, scariest guys in every game. Next year's team is going to be soft and white as fuck. Get ready to return to a team of slow, skinny, finesse pussies who want no part of anything other than floating around daintily and hoisting up their gay little shots. K will stick to his same, godawful defense, and every game will consist of opponents:

- Spreading and absolutely fucking roasting our hopeless, out-of-their-element pansies who look like they should be on the golf team, then laughing and hanging from the rim with their nuts repeatedly smashing our players' stupid, frightened faces while they fumble around trying to pick up the ball through their sobs of shame

- Playing volleyball with every missed shot while all five of our frail waifs stand off to the side (waiting for the scary stuff to end so they can dribble down and jack up yet another contested 30-footer), then screaming and flexing after the follow dunk as our little fairies blush and look away in fear

- Preventing Duke from even thinking about trying to score at the rim, or really even dribbling inside the 3PT line. The entire offense will be swinging the ball around the perimeter until someone gets bored and launches a bad shot where they're really just trying to not get stuffed and embarrassed more than they're trying to actually score.

Have fun watching an 11-14 Miami team run the clock out up 20, pointing and laughing as Baker, AOC, White, and Hurt simultaneously have panic attacks and piss their pants while dropping their 5th ACC game in a row next February, then coming here to post "I'm SERIOUSLY fucking done with K and this soft-ass team!!1" while the whole world jerks off to their tears. It's going to be godawful, and don't let your masochistic brains convince you otherwise.

This was the post of the year and for some reason every time I see Hurt being a pussy I think of it. The bolded is my favorite part. "Waif" is the perfect description for Hurt.

We covered it on the podcast this week. He is eligible but all signs point to him going to Duke as of today.

What are we going to do if both Wendell Moore and Matthew Hurt return? I would imagine they would definitely start.

Are we looking at:

Roach-Moore-Johnson-Hurt-Mark Williams?

This seems gross and the shooting horrific. Maybe Johnson winds up not coming here and we could just roll with: Roach-Steward-Moore-Hurt-Williams?

Tbh I would prefer this lineup. Good defense and shooting and two talented sophomores starting with Goldwire, Baker, Coleman and Brakefield off the bench. O'Connell 10th man if he wants to hang out.

I just don't see a scenario in which Moore-Johnson-Hurt can co-exist. Maybe Hurt leaves and we roll with:

Roach-Steward-Moore-Johnson-Williams but I think I would prefer a sophomore Hurt over a freshman Johnson if we were forced to choose.

@rome8180 Is it possible Johnson can play center or is this just a complete mess of an idea? Apparently he rebounds well according to your reports. Could Roach-Steward-Moore-Hurt-Johnson be feasible with the playing time be distributed similarly to this year? Goldwire-Baker-Mark Williams-Coleman-Brakefield off the bench? Or is there no way this could work?

That would be a fascinating offensive line-up and 1-4 I think it's good defensively but it blows up if Johnson can't be average at the 5 defensively.

Last edited:
So you're asking whether K would be more likely to pair Roach-Moore-Hurt-Johnson with a 6'4" two-way shooting guard or a more raw 7'1" shotblocker?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom