Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

That's been the rumor. It doesn't really make sense though. Since when does someone get kicked out for the entire year for failing a drug test?

Jalen Johnson has not been enrolled at IMG Academy for a month now. If I were a Duke fan, I would not be alarmed. While he will likely not play the remainder of his high school season, it is not like the talent has been zapped out of him. This is a 6-foot-8, versatile and skilled forward who found the ideal fit at Duke, the type of prospect that Coach K has leaned heavily on in the past to reap great success.

Might his development be a little stunted? Maybe, seeing that his fellow peers are getting greater in-game reps while he is not. At the end of the day, as long as Johnson enrolls at Duke, there is nothing to be worried about. He is a tremendous prospect that should lead a tremendous college career. He could be the go-to guy for the Blue Devils next season.

Link

Why were you worried? He would have nearly two years to recover from whatever it was.

Besides, it immediately came out that he was walking without a limp after the injury.

Why were you worried? He would have nearly two years to recover from whatever it was.

Besides, it immediately came out that he was walking without a limp after the injury.

Roach will have had two years to recover from his ACL injury before his Duke career yet there have been several posts concerned about his future health and durability. Every outcome is different but I totally get being gun-shy about this stuff after Giles' development was severely stunted.

I guess I just never thought it was an ACL, given the initial reports. With Roach, I'm a little more worried. But fortunately with him, we'll have Goldwire and Johnson (presumably) if things don't pan out.

It's worth pointing out that Griffin has his own thread we can post in.

Also, I'm not sure if StF is serious, but I don't think he should "sit out the rest of the season." What's the point of that? A knee sprain is a few weeks. Players can't get more than 100% healthy. You don't store extra health like a camel with water. If we're trying to prevent injuries before college, he'd need to sit out next year too.

Evan Daniels said in his piece the other day that it's his belief that Kentucky and Auburn have the best chance at landing Kuminga.

Just watched Brakefield's Huntington Prep team play Mark Williams and IMG. Brakefield's smoother than I thought. Not sure what to make of Mark Williams at this point.

Logged onto Duke-Forum.com on a Friday night for some reason and checked out the recruiting thread expecting to find that both of Jeremy Roach's legs had been severed above the knee. Instead, I'm overwhelmed with the joy that we've finally peaked and affectionately named Johnathon Kuminga "Kum Dunkster."

Kum Dunkster. That's it. No more need for the lazy pre-game bullshit posts in every game thread about how we're definitely going to lose because K is old or trying to come up with good but not great nicknames for all our players and recruits. This board accomplished something tonight and I want to thank each and everyone of you (including the notorious little shit oval4) for such a great experience over the last eight and a half years. Best of luck doing whatever it is you guys do all day in the future.

I watched the IMG-Huntington Prep game as well. Here are my thoughts.

Brakefield:

- Poor man's version of many of our recent wings (Tatum, Ingram, Barrett). He can handle some, but not as well as those guys. He had a couple nice drives to the rim, but he frequently got stripped in traffic. He was 2-7 from three, and the two he hit were from the corner. His misses were tough step-backs or pull-ups. I see him being a better shooter than Barrett but not as good as Ingram.

His IQ and feel for the game are good, but he lacks many standout skills. I think K will like him though. He talks a lot and seems relatively mature. I don't see him as more than a role player early. Think something close to Moore.

His defense looked good at points. He blocked Williams a couple times. I think between him, Coleman, Williams, Roach, Johnson (and possibly Moore or Cash) we should be a very good defensive team. I truly expect top 10 on that end.

Williams:

- Meh. Not sure he's going to do much as a freshman. I wish we could have landed a second center. Hopefully Coleman or Johnson can man some of those minutes. He sat long stretches in this game, but it wasn't clear whether it was because of bad play, foul trouble (he had two early), or conditioning.

- Seems like he's largely ranked where he is based on physical attributes. He did block several shots. But he also got worked by West Virginia commit Isaiah Cottrell (who's ranked in the 80s but is skilled and mobile). He gave up several putback and didn't close out well on jumpers.

- His offense is rough. He got blocked way more than a 7-footer should. Doesn't fight very hard for post position. All his interior makes were open dunks.

- Reminds me a bit of Bamba in that his frame is far ahead of his "feel." That's on both ends, from what I saw, though the defense is ahead of the offense. I don't see him as OAD like Bamba, ftr.

- He hit a 3pt shot. His stroke looks pretty good, both from there and the line.

Also, IMG is very good. Would have been nice if Jalen Johnson hadn't raped the principal to death and was still on the team.

I was most impressed by Isaiah Cottrell and some guard going to Ole Miss. An MSU guard (Hoggard) looked pretty good too.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom