Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Women's Basketball

I never followed the women’s team much, but why did Gail leave for Texas, anyway? That was always a head scratching move, and she never got it going down there, after having something good cooking here. It felt like she was going to eventually win a title at Duke if she stayed.

IIRC Joe Alleva wouldn't match Texas's offer.

Just one of many dumb moves by him

Alleva was fucking terrible. He wanted to hire Karl Dorrell over Cutcliffe for football in 2007, but thankfully got overruled there. From what I’ve seen so far, while far from perfect, Nina > both Alleva and White overall.

Alleva was fucking terrible. He wanted to hire Karl Dorrell over Cutcliffe for football in 2007, but thankfully got overruled there. From what I’ve seen so far, while far from perfect, Nina > both Alleva and White overall.

Alleva (and White after him) existed to keep K happy, that was pretty much it

I never followed the women’s team much, but why did Gail leave for Texas, anyway? That was always a head scratching move, and she never got it going down there, after having something good cooking here. It felt like she was going to eventually win a title at Duke if she stayed.

IIRC Joe Alleva wouldn't match Texas's offer.

Just one of many dumb moves by him

That really pissed me off at the time. Coach G had the program rolling. IIRC, before she left we beat UConn 2 out of our last 3 games with them. Multiple Final Fours. Only thing missing was a national championship, which was only a matter of time.

If we'd kept her I honestly believe we could've dethroned UConn as the preeminent program in the nation.

Are you sure, cause she washed out pretty badly at Texas.

It was a bad move on her part too, she had a good fit at Duke and threw it away for a pay raise and ended up throwing away her career. T

Lots of coaches have something good going at a P5 program, then jump ship to another one and can’t replicate the success. Look at Chris Mack going from Xavier to Louisville. It’s part of why such moves are becoming less and less common.

I think Duke would’ve remained a contender under G.

Are you sure, cause she washed out pretty badly at Texas.

It was a bad move on her part too, she had a good fit at Duke and threw it away for a pay raise and ended up throwing away her career. T

Yeah, fairly sure. She coached at Duke 15 years.

She was ACC Coach of the Year 7 times.

During her last 10 seasons:

She went to 10 Sweet Sixteens

7 Elite Eights

4 Final Fours

2 National Championship games

If you graphed how our program trended while she was head coach it would be close to a vertical line.

IMO what she did at Texas isn't particularly relevant given the aforementioned accomplishments.

Last edited:
I’d say it’s going to be tougher for Duke wbb to be competitive with the elite now than it was during G’s time, due to NIL. Those top girls - if they’re physically attractive - make a shit ton of NIL money, more than any non-Zion/Jared McCain social media prodigy on the men’s side. The main benefits of Duke, like being able to parlay a degree into a nice boring office job afterward, are irrelevant compared with $1M/yr over 4 years and then the influencer/endorsement money afterward.

Took a look at South Carolina’s sports-reference page to see what makes them so stupidly dominant, like on par with the dynasty UConn teams. Pretty surprising. No singular transcendent talent, because they go 10-deep with 10+ BPM players. Two players at Zion levels. Eight more have overall advanced numbers that would be equivalent to at least the best player on most Duke teams of the past 30 years. They’re favored by 15-20 points in every game against a top 25 team.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom