Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Gary Trent Jr.

No one is complaining about him, he's been about as good this year as we could have hope for, we're talking about his NBA prospects.
I get that, but his weaknesses are being exaggerated. I've heard that he can only shoot out of spot up situations which is obviously false. I've heard he's a poor playmaker, which I disagree with. Sure, he doesn't pass a lot but he creates plays for himself with decent enough efficiency. His percentages inside aren't great, but he gets to the line often enough and converts well there. Multiple people have posted that he has a poor handle, which seems unfair given his incredibly low turnover rate despite the fact that he dribbles quite a bit (granted, his lack of passing skills help him here).

I understand no one is complaining about his performance at Duke, but I fundamentally disagree that he's an average pro prospect. While he'll obviously project mainly as a 3 and D guy, I think he has more off-the-dribble potential than, say, Danny Green, who has shot 31 free throws this season. The mid-range game may be dying, but there's still value to having a guy who can create for himself with the shot clock winding down and I believe Trent is capable of that.

I think Trent can be more than a 3 and D guy. He's strong, he's 6'6, and he's pretty good at creating space for himself in the midrange. His handle is solid as well. I'm not sure if he's more athletic than Danny Green, but he's a far better shot creator.

Frankly, reading a lot of the posts on this page I feel like you guys have been watching a different player than me. Trent is maybe the one guy on this team I have been unequivocally thrilled with. Surpassed my expectations in every possible way.
Trent has definitely exceeded my expectations and been a very pleasant surprise. He is also the one freshman who is basically doing what he has always done. He hasn't had to adjust in the same ways that Carter, Bagley and Duval have had to. He fits this team really well as is.

Have to disagree with his shot creating. Or he creates but shoots poorly on the shots he creates for himself. 42% is worse than “not great.” Also most of his FTs at least in my recollection are more so due to late game fouling situations for so then him drawing fouls on his drives.

Givony finally listed Trent. But in the 2019 mock, and as the 19th pick.
This is excellent news.

Tre Jones-Trent Jr-Barrett-Reddish-Zion
Bench
Duval-O'Connell-DeLaurier-Bolden-Montgomery

we are going to pwn next year on our way to 40-0! DTFU!!

Not enough scholarships for Duval AND Trent to come back.

Tre
Barrett
Reddish
Zion
Montgomery
Bolden
DeLaurier
O'Connell
White
Vrankovic
Goldwire
Robinson

Trent or Duval

Please be Trent.

Robinson's scholarship is on a year-to-year basis only, so he'd just go back to being a walk on in this scenario. Duval is gone though. Some imbecilic front office like the Kings or Hornets will be stupid enough to draft him in the first round, and he knows that.

Also, it's possible that the arrangement with Robinson is that he gives up the scholarship if they are in a crunch. Not sure, but that's a relatively common arrangement in situations like this.

I think Trent and Duval are both gone but that's me.

Guards-Tre, Goldwire, AOC
Wings-Barrett, Cam, Zion, White
Bigs-Bolden, EJ, DeL, Robinson, Vrank

That's what I think next years roster will look like unless we get some grad transfer guard which I doubt.

Gold, White, Robinson and Vrank probably rarely see the floor.

Yea, even if Duval isn't guaranteed a spot in the first round, he's not going to come back to school just to be a backup. When you look at guys like Jarrett Allen, Kyle Kuzma, and Josh Hart providing such great value late in the first round in last year's draft, it's hard for me to imagine any team using their first on Duval. He's a project at best.

No way would I draft Duval in the 1st round when I know he's completely unplayable in the NBA. I'd only draft him in the 2nd round, sign him to 1 year deal with an option for the 2nd year and let him play in the G-League for a season and see if anything improves.

Wow, if Trent stays that virtually guarantees that either Barrett or Reddish starts at the 4. Very hard to envision AOC getting more than spot minutes with a backcourt of Jones and Trent.

Wow, if Trent stays that virtually guarantees that either Barrett or Reddish starts at the 4. Very hard to envision AOC getting more than spot minutes with a backcourt of Jones and Trent.

K's statement that we need to get deeper will be tested next year. We all know AOC can play.

You could play Jones, O'Connell, and Trent together for some minutes. Barrett/Reddish at the 4 with Bolden/Zion/EJ at the 5.

You put AOC, Trent, and Reddish out there,, who do you guard? That's 3 guys who will shoot > 40% from 3.

Javin, Goldwire, Vrank, White, and Robinson provide veteran leadership in practice, in the locker room, and on the bench.

It's going to be an embarrassment of riches by the looks of things, and there will be no excuse to not steamroll teams.

Also: Calipari badly wanted Trent, Barrett, Reddish, Zion, and Bolden. The look on his face when we take the court in the Champions Classic next year should be all-time.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom