Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Gary Trent Jr.

I can see why he isn’t in draft boards. I don’t have the numbers but he seems pretty bad at driving and finishing whether he pulls up or goes for the layup and doesn’t seem to get foul calls enough. He feels very below the rim on his drives

He's just not much of a lateral athlete or ball-handler for a guard. He's a souped-up Dawkins: one that is a very good defender and one with a stronger mid-range game, but still a very poor playmaker for a shooting guard.

I really like Trent. but he does a couple of things that just suck.

His forays into the paint are Sheedish, only he doesn't actually make it to the rim. He also seems to accumulate a lot of fouls. Not avin levels, but he fouls a lot.

45.4% 3s, 42% 2s. Coaches need to get more 3s for him, but I think part of it is his release is so slow. He is no threat to shoot a 3 off the dribble or handoff. Coaches could at least tell him to stop driving into traffic. Wide open lanes only.

The only thing Trent does that really bothers me is that he'll often drive the lane having already made up his mind to shoot the ball. But holy shit, a souped-up Dawkins? His physicality and ability to get off shots inside is like the least Dawkins trait a guard can have.

The only thing Trent does that really bothers me is that he'll often drive the lane having already made up his mind to shoot the ball. But holy shit, a souped-up Dawkins? His physicality and ability to get off shots inside is like the least Dawkins trait a guard can have.

I think of him as d Nelson with t Thornton's ability to reliably nail only spot up 3s.

I can see why he isn’t in draft boards. I don’t have the numbers but he seems pretty bad at driving and finishing whether he pulls up or goes for the layup and doesn’t seem to get foul calls enough. He feels very below the rim on his drives
I mean, come on. Is that one criticism really enough to have him not on draft boards AT ALL? You really think people in the late first are going to pass up on an elite shooter who can defend, has good size and strength, and is only a freshman (meaning more years at peak value)?

I guarantee you most players being looked at in the late first don't have as many positives as I just listed. Personally, I'd have him late lotto. You don't have to be above the rim to be an effective driver, and you don't have to be an effective driver to be a good player. Look at Danny Green.

I get what you are saying, but I'm sure a lot of scouts look at him and see limited upside to what he is currently doing. Shooting 42% from 2 is really bad and if he can't finish on college players how is he going to do it in the league? Danny Green is much more athletic in my opinion

He's not that athletic, he doesn't have a grea first step, he doesn't have exceptional hops or length. His handles is only so so. To his credit he has generally not forced things and has good shot selection. Except when he drives, he can't get to the rim because he isn't quick or jump high enough so he's forced to throw up floaters or pull up for a fade away jumper in the lane.

I get what you are saying, but I'm sure a lot of scouts look at him and see limited upside to what he is currently doing. Shooting 42% from 2 is really bad and if he can't finish on college players how is he going to do it in the league? Danny Green is much more athletic in my opinion
Yeah, I don't remotely agree with that. But regardless, it seems like most 3 and D guys are not very athletic (at least not in the John Wall or Russell Westbrook sense).

Oh, and he doesn't turn the ball over and hits his FTs. Regarding Last Hearth's post, he clearly didn't understand the substance of mine. The negatives mentioned are not enough to outweigh the positives, especially in the late first round, and especially since they all relate to things a 3 and D guard may not be asked to do at all.

Yeah, I don't remotely agree with that. But regardless, it seems like most 3 and D guys are not very athletic (at least not in the John Wall or Russell Westbrook sense).
Green is definitely more athletic. Do you not remember him jumping over Paulus to throw it down in Cameron? Shoot, look at Green's block rates in college: 6.5, 4.8, 5.1, and 4.5. His def reb% was basically 15 or better except for his senior year, and he shot over 50% from 2 every season except his freshman season at 48.6%, so he was a better finisher at the rim as well. Green was a much better athlete in the college game, but maybe you're thinking of how he compares to the freaks of the NBA. Trent will be that much worse off trying to finish in the league.

^I should point out that I'm not arguing for or against taking Trent in the first round. I'm just arguing about a small point that no one cares about because I want to.

I think Trent can be more than a 3 and D guy. He's strong, he's 6'6, and he's pretty good at creating space for himself in the midrange. His handle is solid as well. I'm not sure if he's more athletic than Danny Green, but he's a far better shot creator.

Frankly, reading a lot of the posts on this page I feel like you guys have been watching a different player than me. Trent is maybe the one guy on this team I have been unequivocally thrilled with. Surpassed my expectations in every possible way.

So if Trent comes back who comes off the bench? Zion? I feel like that wouldn't end well but Zion seems like a good kid.

I've given up hope up ever having a good defense again so my keys to us making a deep run next year are:

1-Tre has to be as good as his brother.
2-Bolden has to come back and stay healthy to give us something of a rim protector.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom