Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Gary Trent Jr.

With Trent and Grayson being automatic at the line I feel very good about holding on to late leads. Reminds me of 15 when Cook and Tyus were so money at the line teams basically gave up trying to foul Duke late in games.

Yeah, Bilas complained about IU taking so long to foul when Duke got that OReb with under a minute, but Trent got the rebound and then eventually passed it to Allen. You could tell IU had been instructed not to foul either of those guys. IU should have trapped earlier and forced a pass to Duval or a big.

I don't if I can remember a player with so many frustrating moments in the first 37 minutes of every game who is then so supremely confident and reliable in the last 3.

It turns out our preseason scouting report was correct.

I don't know how he ever got the reputation of being a "great" shooter. Didn't shoot well in high school, hasn't in college. I was hoping his high school numbers might be a function of shot selection, but it doesn't look like that's the case. He shoots well in certain games, but so does Marcus Smart.

In every game the announcers like to tell us what a great shooter Trent is. It's like a conspiracy.

It turns out our preseason scouting report was correct.

I don't know how he ever got the reputation of being a "great" shooter. Didn't shoot well in high school, hasn't in college. I was hoping his high school numbers might be a function of shot selection, but it doesn't look like that's the case. He shoots well in certain games, but so does Marcus Smart.

It must be some sort of weird mental thing, or lack of consistency in how he goes up for his jumper. I mean, he's 25-26 from the stripe, so he clearly has good shooting form.

I expect this terrible early season 3pt shooting to be a fluke and a mental issue, as Childress said, when we look back on it. Hopefully, it straightens itself out before it did for Kennard or Matt Jones, because it would be nice for Trent to give such an important boost to the offense this season.

If we assume Trent is at least a true 85% FT shooter (being conservative), then for him to be a true low 30s 3pt shooter would be quite an exception. You probably can't find more than a handful of 6-6-ish guards in the past few years in college or the NBA who have shot that well from the line and that poorly from 3 over their entire careers.

Russell Westbrook is close (31% 3pt, 82% FT) but not at the level of Trent from the line. Kennard's fluke 3pt season as a freshman really is the best example I can think of (32% 3pt, 89% FT), but Kennard was over 34% starting from a game near midseason. 34% is probably all we need from Trent in this offense, especially given how good he is at other things, including finishing and not turning it over.

I expect this terrible early season 3pt shooting to be a fluke and a mental issue, as Childress said, when we look back on it. Hopefully, it straightens itself out before it did for Kennard or Matt Jones, because it would be nice for Trent to give such an important boost to the offense this season.

If we assume Trent is at least a true 85% FT shooter (being conservative), then for him to be a true low 30s 3pt shooter would be quite an exception. You probably can't find more than a handful of 6-6-ish guards in the past few years in college or the NBA who have shot that well from the line and that poorly from 3 over their entire careers.

Russell Westbrook is close (31% 3pt, 82% FT) but not at the level of Trent from the line. Kennard's fluke 3pt season as a freshman really is the best example I can think of (32% 3pt, 89% FT), but Kennard was over 34% starting from a game near midseason. 34% is probably all we need from Trent in this offense, especially given how good he is at other things, including finishing and not turning it over.

FWIW, there are 54 players in D1 hoops this season shooting better than 85% at the line and less than 30% from three while playing 25+ minutes a game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cb...stat=mp_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=25&order_by=per

In defense of simpleton SMTTEM, it does normalize if you expand sample size. Looking at the entire course of last season, if you filter by reasonable volume, you're left with five players: http://cbbref.com/tiny/nad6A

The wildest outlier is Taylor Barnette from Belmont, a 90% FT shooter who shot under 29% from three... ON 231 ATTEMPTS. His brain must be more broken than Bolden's.

also, with 300+ div 1 teams there are 900+ 2's, 3's, and 1st wings off the bench - 54 is still just 6% of them - so pretty rare

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom