Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hobbies

Been wanting to learn guitar forever now and am finally trying. Every bit as difficult as i imagined. Have learned a few basic chords but obviously cant transition between them smoothly yet.

Having serious trouble with C chord, but tonight i learned the Cadd9 which is much easier and i cant tell much difference between the sound of it and traditional C.

Is it an adequate substitute for someone like me who wont be going on tour anytime soon? Or should i just grind it out and learn the ‘real’ C?

And F chord can go fuck itself.

If you are serious about sticking with this, I'd recommend learning all the fundamental chords correctly. It'll pay off in the long run.

If you just want to get close enough to strum along with some Jimmy Buffett tunes, then do whatever you want. No one will want to listen to that anyway.

What guitar are you learning on? Playability is important in terms of preventing beginners from giving up. If you feel like you're fighting your fingers, that's good. If you feel like you're fighting the strings, not so much.

Definitely my fingers. They’re just being insubordinate pricks. I’m using a Gibson acoustic my wife bought me about 10 years ago. It’s basically new so i think its’s good for my purposes.

I was just frustrated the other night and thought i’d found a shortcut. Should’ve known better. I’ll keep working on it. Problem is stretching my ring finger to reach that 3rd fret without muting strings.

One more question for you guys...when i began learning some of these chords i had to place one finger at a time. Now it’s sort of a habit to play them that way. For example, when my first 2 fingers reach up for the G chord my ring finger follows them. Then i have to reach back down for the high E. Its basically a 2 step process when it should obviously be one. Same with D. I have to place 1rst two fingers down before placing ring finger. Is the ability to place all 3 fingers down simultaneously something that can be developed? Or is it something you ‘have’ or you don’t...like curling your tongue or something? If its the former, how long did it take to develop the ability? If its the latter i’m fucked.

I appreciate the feedback.

@rome8180 and @rhfarmer, i’m only a couple weeks in, and haven’t even started to learn about bars.
To be clear, I can only play metal chords, which are like 2 string bar chords for dummies. But bar chords will definitely serve you well it you can learn them. Your fingers will fight you for a couple of months.

I guess I just have long fingers. Never understood why full major and minor bar chords were difficult.

I've always had far more trouble with my strumming hand than my fretting hand. That's my big obstacle in getting really good.

I actually considered measuring my fingers to determine if they’re shorter than average. But that that would be weird.

Would love to know Rome’s measurements though.

I've decided to move all my musical gear talk to this thread instead of music.

So say what you will about Guitar Center, but I was just able to back out of a layaway with no penalty. It's pretty cool that they essentially let you hold their gear hostage. Lol. I guess that's the advantage that comes with being the WalMart of gear stores.

I was going to get a Fender Bassman amp head. I like the sound of it. It's a tube-solid state hybrid. However, I don't really need a loud amp and immediately after I found a good price on an all-tube Ampeg head online. Getting that instead. Pretty excited. Think I'll get the matching Ampeg cab.

So I've started posting on a bass players' message board. Because clearly this site doesn't take up enough of my time.

Anyway, there's a term on there, "G.A.S." It's Gear Acquisition Syndrome. It describes intense yearning for a new piece of equipment. I feel like I've got terrible GAS these days. I spend half my free time looking at basses, amps, pedals, guitars, etc.

@rhfarmer and @TS9 and the other musicians out there, do you have this kind of gear obsession or are you normal people? The funny thing is I was the furthest thing from a gearhead in the past. I didn't even know what a preamp was.

I was like that with cymbals and hardware when I first started playing drums. Luckily, I got over it quickly when I remembered how cheap I am.

It's cool. Once I have three different wattages of Ampeg tube amps and matching cabs, a Fender P bass, a Lakland bass, a Music Man bass, a D'Angelico guitar, a Gibson, a Telecaster, a Marshall stack and a Fender Princeton Reverb I'll be good to go.

Dammit. Now i have something to consider other than price.

I’m cheeper than Peef.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom