Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hobbies

For the handymen here, how difficult would it be for a novice to use Google and finish a basement from scratch? I would pay an electrician and plumber, but would prefer to do carpeting, painting, staircase stuff, wall stuff on my own.

For the handymen here, how difficult would it be for a novice to use Google and finish a basement from scratch? I would pay an electrician and plumber, but would prefer to do carpeting, painting, staircase stuff, wall stuff on my own.
What kind of tools do you have? Compressor and framing nailer? Brad nailer? Drill and driver? Reciprocating saw? Multi-tool? Miter saw?

If you have those things, you could easily frame it and hang the drywall.

What do you mean by "staircase stuff"?

I would highly recommend that you hire someone for electrical, plumbing, drywall taping, and carpeting. You really don't want to be doing any of those things for your first time on a sizable project like this.

I'd be careful making your own stairs, too. Probably want to leave stairs up to the experts.

Framing isn't hard, nor is hanging sheet rock. Just keep in mind, you have to have studs to screw sheet rock into all the corners, from both walls. Also, probably should let someone else sheetrock your ceiling, unless you're pretty strong. That shit ain't easy.

Buying a bass guitar off a friend. I haven't owned a bass in years. I am pretty excited about this. It's a Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass. The guy who owned it is in a successful band, so his fans probably would have overpaid for it. But he preferred to sell it to me.

I played an Ampeg B15-N tube amp from the 60s. My bass amp is not bad, but now I never want to go back. Unfortunately, they sell for between 3000 and 5000 dollars. Worth it though. The clarity and tone are incredible.

Been wanting to learn guitar forever now and am finally trying. Every bit as difficult as i imagined. Have learned a few basic chords but obviously cant transition between them smoothly yet.

Having serious trouble with C chord, but tonight i learned the Cadd9 which is much easier and i cant tell much difference between the sound of it and traditional C.

Is it an adequate substitute for someone like me who wont be going on tour anytime soon? Or should i just grind it out and learn the ‘real’ C?

And F chord can go fuck itself.

My son just started at the School of Rock in Chapel Hill. Intense place. 45 minute private lesson and 15. hour rehearsal a week. They have a concert 4 times a year at Fullsteam.

My son just started at the School of Rock in Chapel Hill. Intense place. 45 minute private lesson and 15. hour rehearsal a week. They have a concert 4 times a year at Fullsteam.
15-hour rehearsals must be brutal.

If you want to learn to play “Jumper” by Third Eye Blind, you’ll need to know that basic C chord, so you better get on it.

Reactions: TS9
Been wanting to learn guitar forever now and am finally trying. Every bit as difficult as i imagined. Have learned a few basic chords but obviously cant transition between them smoothly yet.

Having serious trouble with C chord, but tonight i learned the Cadd9 which is much easier and i cant tell much difference between the sound of it and traditional C.

Is it an adequate substitute for someone like me who wont be going on tour anytime soon? Or should i just grind it out and learn the ‘real’ C?

Are you learning bar chords?

If you are serious about sticking with this, I'd recommend learning all the fundamental chords correctly. It'll pay off in the long run.

If you just want to get close enough to strum along with some Jimmy Buffett tunes, then do whatever you want. No one will want to listen to that anyway.

What guitar are you learning on? Playability is important in terms of preventing beginners from giving up. If you feel like you're fighting your fingers, that's good. If you feel like you're fighting the strings, not so much.

@krsmith16 please learn bar chords as well as open chords. There are only four basic bar chord shapes (really three if you want to get technical) and if you can play those you can play basically anything in any key. Don't be that guy who can only play open chords and so has to play everything in an alternate key using a capo.

Addressing what TS9 asked, it could be the action on your guitar is too high. For under $50 you can get someone to lower the action as well as check your intonation. Lower action will result in much more playability.

This thread started moving and I hopped on eagerly hoping for some sausage making updates. So fucking disappointed.

Does anyone here know much about website hosting? My wife has a photography business and we are about to branch out from a free WIX to something with her own domain. Looking for some tips.
Nice, John!

This thread started moving and I hopped on eagerly hoping for some sausage making updates. So fucking disappointed.
IRL, my wife got me a grinder attachment for the mixer and we're doing a 6 hour sausage making class in a month or so.

Does anyone here know much about website hosting? My wife has a photography business and we are about to branch out from a free WIX to something with her own domain. Looking for some tips.
Nice, John!
I have no idea why I responded to this 8 month old post, but I thought it was from today.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom