Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hobbies

Got a Weber Smokey Mountain for Christmas. Making my first batch of chicken tonight.

Got a Weber Smokey Mountain for Christmas. Making my first batch of chicken tonight.
Well?!

So satisfying. It’ll take some trial and error to get the amount of charcoal right so I’m not having to mess with it too much mid-cook. I’ll have to mess with chicken and ribs for a couple weeks before I risk botching some brisket.

My planner and jointer also came in the mail a few weeks ago so hobbies are dominating my life. Masturbating is now a clear number 3 right now.

My planner and jointer also came in the mail a few weeks ago so hobbies are dominating my life.

Whoa whoa whoa....A planer and a jointer? What kind/size? What types of things are you building?

My planner and jointer also came in the mail a few weeks ago so hobbies are dominating my life.

Whoa whoa whoa....A planer and a jointer? What kind/size? What types of things are you building?

Ended up getting a bundle with a 6” benchtop jointer and a 12.5” planer from a brand called Cutech. Both have spiral cutter heads and my only complaint is that I had something with helical heads, but I imagine once I’m able to get into a bigger workspace I’ll eventally invest in a larger Jet or Grizzly jointer.

So far I’ve redone my dining table and coffee table. Currently working on a new desk.

Ended up getting a bundle with a 6” benchtop jointer and a 12.5” planer from a brand called Cutech. Both have spiral cutter heads and my only complaint is that I had something with helical heads, but I imagine once I’m able to get into a bigger workspace I’ll eventally invest in a larger Jet or Grizzly jointer.

So far I’ve redone my dining table and coffee table. Currently working on a new desk.

Nice. I've been in the market for an 8" jointer forever. Been waiting for one to show up on craigslist, but no luck yet. Once I move I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy a new Grizzly. Using a sled through the planer works well enough, but it's so inconvenient.

A masturbation stand
I would like to hear more about this. What are the main features?

You didn't really think "hunters" were "hunting deer" from those tree stands, did you?
I have a late 50s coworker who has been out for a couple of months with compression fractures in his back from falling out of his tree stand and landing feet first. Somehow he didn’t break an ankle or leg. Anyway, his story makes much more sense now.

[/QUOTE]

Nice. I've been in the market for an 8" jointer forever. Been waiting for one to show up on craigslist, but no luck yet. Once I move I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy a new Grizzly. Using a sled through the planer works well enough, but it's so inconvenient.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the money and time investment needed to put together a planner sled the way I’d want it convinced me to just get a jointer for now. I’d be nice to have a sled if I ever need to clean up a wider board though.

Has anyone here ever built any privacy fencing? I'm about to set posts for an 18-ft section at the top of my driveway and wanted to know if anyone has tips or advice - mostly around hardware.

Latch - do you have double sided or stationary on one, locking on the other? Would like double sided, but having trouble finding something thats not super expensive.

2x4 braces/framing - did you put a middle cross board, or just top and bottom? Don't want sag, so prob doing a cross.

To paint or to stain? - big one - wondering what holds up better over time

Looking at solar light post caps as well - recommendations? Want to be able to see the ground with them, not just see them there.

@slswofford3 I regret that I can't provide useful information on the actual 'engineering' aspects of the fence construction, other than I have used treated 4x4 wood (10' length) as the posts. The 4x4s are usually set at a depth of about 3' and I used concrete with 'Sonotubes'. Hope that helps a little.

Paint/stain - I just used pressure treated lumber, as painting or staining requires fairly regular maintenance due to weathering. Maybe the weathering is more of a problem where I live, I don't know. If you have no trouble putting time and effort into doing additional coats every few years, you should be ok with stain.

4x4's are a must, at minimum. 4 feet apart. If you want longer spans, go 6x6. I have a fence completely around my property, minus a corner of my front yard. I did 8 foot spacing, and I have had 2 posts sag inward in the last 10 years. It almost doesn't matter if you paint or stain, because even with pressure treated wood, you'll start needing to replace pieces and parts at about year 8.

Don't bury any of the wood except the posts, unless you like the look and smell of rotting wood.

ETA this does not absolve you of the responsibility of walking your dogs.

Yeah, so definitely using 4x4 posts - bought them yesterday hoping to set today if the rain moves out. I did go pressure treated, but the wife wants some darker brown, so was trying to decide between paint or stain - just hoping to see what would last longest. Prob staining for looks.

The dogs will certainly be walked - we live right by a park/walking trail and tend to abuse it. This is mainly just to keep the back yard from being visible from the road so no one can see my dogs or my kids playing back there.

As a matter of fact, one of them decided to go take a walk by herself yesterday and is currently in custody of animal control. We will be there when they unlock the doors this morning. Dad and I fenced in the entire back yard with woven wire/horse fencing and I had one spot that needed reinforcement due to the slope - thought I had improvised well enough to buy time to go to Lowe's, but she found that spot in less than 24 hours. Its good now!

Thank you both for the feedback.

Last edited:
Hudson-Yards-Observation-Deck-rendering-courtesy-of-Related-and-Oxford-777x583.jpg

41337678092_0aaf9ce918_o.jpg

The tallest outdoor observation deck in the Western Hemisphere is officially under construction at the brand new New York City office tower, 30 Hudson Yards.

30 Hudson Yards rises 90 stories and 1,268 feet tall (taller than the Empire State Building minus the antennas) and will house the world headquarters of Time Warner, among other powerhouse companies.

I have been atop 30 Rock and it was the experience of a lifetime. I hope to venture up to this space when I'm back in NY.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom