Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HS All Star Games - 2018

I have now seen these guys many times, and now I'm getting to see them against the best of the best (I didn't get to watch any AAU sans highlights)

So here are some thoughts:

To me, RJ and Zion are the clear alphas of the entire class. Everyone seems to follow them and everything seems to flow through them. Zion is clearly a 4 (but with a great handle) and will be a monster down there. R.J. is borderline psychotic with how much he competes and wants to win. You can tell by the way he conducts himself. By the look in his eyes. He's all business. Great slasher with a monster Eurostep. Would be much better at the 4 than Cam (due to tenacious mentality, IMO) but worse than Zion. Just needs to keep working on the FTs.

Cam is the most skilled but he's soooooo laid back. And there is no way he could play the 4. He is too finesse. 2 guard all the way, IMO. Great handle. NBA will love him.

Tre Jones is really good but I think there are other really good PGs too: Garland, Dotson, and Quinerly. I wouldn't expect Tre to put up stats like our other 3 guys tonight.

I think the 1-4 at Duke should clearly be Tre, Cam, R.J., and Zion. And their games do compliment each other well. You have the distributor, the shooter, the slasher, and the physical specimen.

Supremely excited to watch the game tonight, and I am glad they are not all on the same team.

I think Reddish leads his team in scoring, and I'll take R.J. for the other. R.J. wins MVP.

All this seems totally realistic to me, without having seen any of these guys except Jones play, ever. Thanks, Axe.

Anyone have a favorite of the class? I think mine is RJ. I think I've changed my mind and expect him to be our leading scorer. He was always who I thought would be the best but Cam's improvement over the last 6-12 months made it so neck and neck.

Barrett is my favorite player in the class along with Stones. I would like Montgomery too added to the class just for more size/versatility.

Barrett is my favorite player in the class along with Stones. I would like Montgomery too added to the class just for more size/versatility.
And for when Marqueem the Dream has to sit out a few games for his annual foot/knee/nose injury.

Halftime at McDs.

R.J. Barrett has the MVP won at halftime. He has 14 points, 1 rebound, and 1 assist. 4-4 on 2s, 1-2 on 3s, 3-3 on FT.

Zion has 8 points and 5 rebounds. 4-8 shooting.

Reddish has 6 points and 1 rebound. 3-3 on 2s. 0-3 on 3s.

Tre Jones has 5 points, 1 rebound, and 3 assists. 2-3 on 2s and 1-1 on FT.

E.J. Montgomery has 6 points, 2 rebounds, and 1 assist. 3-4 on 2s.

Just give and go Zion, don't worry about beating him off the dribble

My annual conclusive evaluations from watching half the game:

Jones - elite 2-way PG
Barrett - alpha dog stud
Reddish - soft af. might be decent as a JR/SR.
Zion - garbage. May have a future an undersized energy/glue guy off the bench as an upperclassman. Javin career path.
Nas Little - LeBron. Better than any of our guys.

I see that Zion dunked in the game and also got injured, both of which seem like all we should reasonably expect from him next season.

I was at the game. One of the craziest things I’ve ever seen happened for basically the minute leading up to the play that Zion got injured. He was begging for the ball and the crowd collectively saw it. Every time he touched the ball there was a buildup of crowd noise that wasn’t there for the rest of the game. I guess I’m really just sharing this to say that his reputation clearly is massive and I worry that will lead to a disappointing season, regardless of how well he does.

That seemed like it was for Little d'ing him up to me, not just for Zion. Like the crowd wanted to see those two go at it.

I can’t tell if Reddish just didn’t give a fuck or that’s how he always plays

Little is like a much better version of Pinson who can shoot

Edited to add. Reddish did end up with 9 assists and 5 steals as well

I'm going to invoke my scouting track record on this board. Remember when I said Bagley would be bad at defense? Remember when I said Carter would be great at defense? Remember when I said Thornton sucked?

Anyway, Reddish is awesome in the same way Ingram was awesome. He'll be under-appreciated because it doesn't seem like he's trying. But he'll actually be our most efficient player (though I guess Ingram wasn't that).

I think he will be awesome as well but I also actually he think he didn’t feel like trying that hard. At the end though he hit a clutch corner 3, had a nice assist and a breakaway dunk to help win the game.

Most of RJ’s points were when Reddish was guarding him and basically just let him go.

I really liked Little’s energy. Dude was hyped all game. He looked good but i also think he cared much more than anybody else.

You can't tell shit outside of shooting from that game last night. It's really turned into a joke.

I was mainly wanting to see R.J.'s shooting: he went 1-2 from 3 and 5-5 from the FT line. I was pleased.

Here are the stats I kept (they could be off a little, it was hard to keep up with all 5 guys in at the same time):

Barrett- 26 points, 9-11 on 2s, 1-2 on 3s, 5-5 on FT
Reddish- 11 points, 4-6 on 2s, 1-4 on 3s
Williamson- 8 points, 5 rebounds, 4-9 on 2s
Jones- 7 points, 3-5 on 2s, 1-1 on FT
Montgomery- 12 points, 6-8 on 2s

I posted a link in the Duke Basketball 18-19 thread that talks about each of the prospects. The author said RJ is "the king of the midrange" and really struggled with his outside shot. The good thing is he's not adverse to taking it. So hopefully it's just a Jayson Tatum situation. Hopefully, unlike Tatum, he'll become a great three-point shooter in college and not the NBA.

Barrett was pretty fun to watch in that game. He looks like a killer. Winslow balls with more skill. He also looks like he's going to be pretty brilliant attacking off the PNR. We better run some goddamn ballscreens for once.

However, I'd immediately trade Zion or Barrett for Nas Little. He looked like a hell of an all-around player and competitor. Punked the hell out of Zion. Everyone keeps saying Pinson, but he's at a different level physically. Reminds me of a Jaylen Brown/Stanley Johnson, except more intense.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom