Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HS All-Star Games

Re: 2014 HS Allstar games

Apparently Rashad Vaughn has been amazing ugh......

childress22 said:
Pantone287 said:
He's such a confusing athlete to me. Probably mostly because he's white and looks like a sweet young child, but also because he sort of seems closer to the loping/slow-twitch Andre Dawkins end of the athleticism spectrum than to the spastic/quick-twitch Elliot Williams end. But then he does crazy things like jump over Jahlil Okafor and win the dunk contest, and makes me think maybe I'm just crazily underrating him?

Not following you on the spectrum thing. In the tapes I've seen, Allen's lateral quickness and first step seem a fair bit better than Dre's -- somewhere closer to Nolan. What makes you compare him to Dre?

Just the way he jumps - he looks to me like he sort of "swoops" up kind of like Dre did, using his ginormous feet as leverage, rather than just exploding up like Elliot. Also probably my athleticism-racism against white people.

I hope you're right about the quickness thing, though. I haven't really seen him in a game, so like I said, I may be way underselling his overall quickness. It'll be fun to see him play tomorrow.

All the black Duke incomings, and Pinson and Berry.

Last edited by a moderator:

deeyoukayeee said:
Have we ever really had a whitelete at the guard/wing? Maybe Quin? But that could have been the coke.

LOL, I know a chick who used to party with Ferry and Quin...

The list doesn't stop at Quin when it comes to the white stuff. Dennard for sure. I can't confirm anyone else, but I also suspect a few of the guys who have graduated in the last 10 or so years.

Quin was legendary, had some fraternity brother who hung with him a good bit. Dude is damn near superhuman to to excel at all the contradicting facets of life like he did.

When does the game start? Its 9pm already and this Knicks/Nets game still has 3:22 left in the THIRD quarter.

Watching the game now.

1) Okafor couldn't score on Turner. He seemed to be able to "outphysical" him, which is encouraging, but Turner's length and quickness bothered him. The good news is that there's basically no one in college basketball that he'll have to go against with that kind of defensive ability and size.

2) I wish we had landed Looney. He didn't do a ton, but he's basically Turner but actually a 4 (and therefore playable with Okafor).

3) Still love Reid Travis

4) Justin Jackson is a baller

5) Stanley Johnson and Justise Winslow are the same person, down to the hair, except Johnson can shoot

6) Mudiay didn't have great overall stats, but he looks like a future NBA All-Star to me

7) Who would win in a contest for most feminine eyes? Karl Towns, Myles Turner on Nate Britt? (BTW, googling Karl Towns brings up some pictures of him playing against Anthony Davis...What is it with Kentucky and eyebrows?)

8) I am not going to say this was high-quality basketball, but it was infinitely better than last year.

Glad someone had some thoughts to share. Thanks.

rome8180 said:
Watching the game now.

1) Okafor couldn't score on Turner. He seemed to be able to "outphysical" him, which is encouraging, but Turner's length and quickness bothered him. The good news is that there's basically no one in college basketball that he'll have to go against with that kind of defensive ability and size.

2) I wish we had landed Looney. He didn't do a ton, but he's basically Turner but actually a 4 (and so playable with Okafor).

3) Still love Reid Travis

4) Justin Jackson is a baller

5) Stanley Johnson and Justise Winslow are the same person, down to the hair, except Johnson can shoot

6) Mudiay didn't have great overall stats, but he looks like a future NBA All-Star to me

7) Who would win in a contest for most feminine eyes? Karl Towns, Myles Turner on Nate Britt? (BTW, googling Karl Towns brings up some pictures of him playing against Anthony Davis...What is it with Kentucky and eyebrows?)

8) I am not going to say this was high-quality basketball, but it was infinitely better than last year.

Britt also has very feminine cheekbones, that's what really makes him look like a potentially attractive girl. That I am only responding to your point 7 is probably a huge indictment on the quality of my posting. I'm hoping SMTTEM can save this thread with some eye-opening stats or something.

I was really impressed by Tyus' passing, he could have had a few more assists had guys finished. His finish at the end over Okafor was pretty impressive as well. His d was terrible, but so was most everybody's except Stanley Johnson's

To follow up on some of Lhys's points:

1) I noticed Okafor having problems with Turner in whatever that Adidas game was last year. Okafor looked timid to going up against Turner. Okafor wasn't as timid in this game, but he still struggled a lot. You're right that there won't be other guys like that in the college game next year. Just hope Duke avoids Kansas or SMU or wherever Turner goes in the tournament.

2-3) I wish Duke had gotten either of Looney or Travis. Travis reminds me of a little shorter Hansbrough. He is decently skilled, but he just plays his ass off and never backs down.

4) I like Jackson as well, but what's the deal with UNC guys cherry-picking in these games? He followed Barnes and McAdoo's all-star game legacies.

5) Winslow's shot is awful, but I love that Duke will have a wing who offensive rebounds. We haven't had that since Singler.

A couple more things I would add:

a) Tyus Jones looks really good. He never looks out of control, and he makes the easy pass to get someone into scoring position. His passes ahead on the break reminded me of Kendall Marshall. Also, I liked how assertive Tyus was late in the game. He took over when his team needed it. Maybe stall ball will pick back up to Kyrie/Nolan levels with him. And this is the 2nd game I've seen him finish through contact over Okafor. He's more athletic and stronger than he looks.

b) Grayson Allen didn't stand out, but he looked like he belonged in the game. Admittedly, I'm worried about him because of his ranking prior to committing to Duke. I thought he might be getting a Duke bump. He wasn't overmatched; he fit in well enough with the top players in his class. I imagine he'll get a little PT next season if he "grasps the defense" or whatever. I was worried he would be next year's Semi (although someone will be).

Probably Semi

Winslow will be interesting. He's a tank who is athletic as hell and has a nose for the ball, but his shooting is gonna be problematic, especially if he can't hit FTs because he will get to the line a ton.

Love Travis, and like what I saw from Looney, but I just don't know if there is enough upside there to rock the boat with returning players. If we are going to go all in at the risk of a transfer and/or disgruntled player, I'd rather it be with Turner or a returning Parker.

While Jackson is likely a very fine player, I've never seen someone do so much by doing so little. He WAY outdid McAdoo and Barnes w/r/t bunnies.

AZ and KU are going to be really, really good. Oubre/Alexander and Johnson will not be huge dropoffs from Wiggins/Embiid and Gordon, at least college-production wise. If Kansas is really in an Embiid or Turner position, I think they have to be the favorite, maybe even if we get Jabari back.

Thanks all for posting your thoughts on this - i have not had the chance to watch the game, so it is nice to read some opinions on the incoming players.

Maybe Canadian Justin Jackson can expect some decent floor time with the Heels next year, especially in light of JMM's announcement

While Jackson did score mostly on putbacks, he did bury a turnaround baseline jumper and a three pointer. Also, offensive rebounding is a skill. That's how Justise scored as well. If I were a Carolina fan, I would have been really happy with what I saw.

Pinson was meh, and I don't remember Berry doing anything of note. But Berry looked good when I saw him play Tyus head to head. Good on-ball defender. Nice speed.

I was really encouraged by the few stretches of defense we saw Allen play. He moved his feet really well, had good hands, and was really physical and assertive. Looked like the game might still need to slow down for him a bit, but I liked his attitude. A little more confidence and edge than I might have expected from him on this type of stage.

I'm really worried about Winslow's shooting. Not sure he's a 30%+ 3PT shooter right now, and not sure there's any chance he gets real minutes on the wing if he's not, especially with Amile at PF and a 1-in scorer like Jahlil. Maybe K will play him a lot with Ojeleye at the 4 and we'll be the most badass team ever? (lol jk obviously) Not much makes my heart happier than when some cocky guard sizes him up and tries to embarrass him one-and-one, and he's just "meh, not impressed" and locks him up. I remember he did it to Andrew Harrison last year to the point where he ended up having Harrison backing up, way behind the 3PT line, and throwing up a fadeaway 3 as the shot clock expired. Such a badass.

Really like Justin Jackson, too. He's sort of Jamisonish in how little time he needs with the ball to produce so many points. And I continue to be in love with Looney's game. I wouldn't be shocked if he has an All-American type season. He's going to be a double-double machine.

Tyus and Okafor continue to be who they are. It seemed like Okafor should have scored a ton more on Turner than he did - he'd beast him completely under the basket, but then just miss the layup. One time Turner raked him across the face without getting called, but he also just missed a few. I imagine "dunk everything" will be drilled through his head constantly at Duke.

And yeah, Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson is going to be an absolutely terrifying defensive tandem on the wing. No points from SGs or SFs against Arizona next year, ever.

K played non-shooter Matt Jones for his defense this year. Maybe he will do the same for Winslow? (Except hopefully a lot more minutes than that.)

It's just so obvious to everyone but K that we need to forget about being a good shooting team and dominate on the glass and push the ball in transition. But it will never happen.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom