Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Justin Robinson

It is worth pointing out that he was getting absolutely abused on the glass. He has a weakness after all.
Yes, his weakness is he’s incredibly weak. Looks like he skips leg day every time. But hopefully Duke won’t run into many more two-big lineups like Roy trots out there. From what little we’ve seen of him, he’s easily the best option Duke has at the 4.

It is worth pointing out that he was getting absolutely abused on the glass. He has a weakness after all.
Yes, his weakness is he’s incredibly weak. Looks like he skips leg day every time. But hopefully Duke won’t run into many more two-big lineups like Roy trots out there. From what little we’ve seen of him, he’s easily the best option Duke has at the 4.

But no weaker than Matt Hurt.

But no weaker than Matt Hurt.

But def more playable than Matt.

Who is just awful.

ON WHAT CHANGED IN JUSTIN ROBINSON TO EARN HIM THE PLAYING TIME

"He’s really turned it up in practice, you know, not that he hasn’t been a good practice player, but my staff just said, we have to give him a shot..."

Confirmation of what we all knew. It's not like some switch flipped, Scheyer just finally said said "FUCKING PLAY THIS GUY".

“OK fine, I’ll put Robertson in”

ON WHAT CHANGED IN JUSTIN ROBINSON TO EARN HIM THE PLAYING TIME

"He’s really turned it up in practice, you know, not that he hasn’t been a good practice player, but my staff just said, we have to give him a shot..."

Confirmation of what we all knew. It's not like some switch flipped, Scheyer just finally said said "FUCKING PLAY THIS GUY".

“OK fine, I’ll put Robertson in”

"Dave"

Makes you wonder if it was the upside game. Hurt and Baker on paper have bigger upsides, so do you keep playing these guys in hope that they finally break through or go with the guy consistently producing in J Rob. I think we all got our answer last night and the past few games. He's also talented; he has grown a few inches since he arrived and has crazy length. If he was this tall in high school he probably would have been a top 200 guy.

Makes you wonder if it was the upside game. Hurt and Baker on paper have bigger upsides, so do you keep playing these guys in hope that they finally break through or go with the guy consistently producing in J Rob. I think we all got our answer last night and the past few games. He's also talented; he has grown a few inches since he arrived and has crazy length. If he was this tall in high school he probably would have been a top 200 guy.

This would be my rationalization, too, if anyone here is actually still trying to reach for explanations beyond "dementia." Robinson doesn't fit into K's ideal man-to-man, and K is going to try to make his ideal man-to-man work until he's 100% convinced it isn't national-title-worthy (I suppose you could argue this in itself is demented). Robinson next to Carey and Hurt would be a disaster defensively, so the play was to try Hurt (because he came in as a top 10 recruit and projected 1st round pick) until it's absolutely clear he's a worse option than Robinson.

Chris makes a compelling point about the top 200 ranking. I was sort of surprised looking at Robinson's ranking in 2015. He was the number 375 recruit in the country in the Okafor/Jones class. Listed at 6'8 and really thin. Certainly not a Savarino or Buckmire type walk-on.

Maybe Hurt can produce better coming off the bench with less pressure, although the last game this did not happen. I'm not ready to write Hurt off just yet; he's played well in 3 of the last 5 games. It seems to be all or nothing with him though. Maybe 25 for J Rob and 15 for Hurt at the 4? Unless it's just a bad matchup like last night.

Perhaps a little unexpectedly, Hurt has actually played better against the quicker, 4-out teams than he has against teams with more conventional power forwards.

Yeah, I don't know if this explanation holds up but he may struggle more with strength than speed. Also, the 4-out teams sometimes have a guy he's bigger than at the PF.

Just a thought from someone who has watched only half our games this year.

Odd that it took until 2020 for K to figure out what guys like Calhoun knew decades earlier: don’t play white guys in competitive basketball games.

While somewhat true, his first great team featured Nadav Henefeld, an Israeli who had the greatest nickname ever 'the Gaza Strip' for leading the country in steals. And I forget who the big white mook was who basically was in charge of fouling Brands every time down court in 99. I actually think that dude played in the league for a few years.

Odd that it took until 2020 for K to figure out what guys like Calhoun knew decades earlier: don’t play white guys in competitive basketball games.

While somewhat true, his first great team featured Nadav Henefeld, an Israeli who had the greatest nickname ever 'the Gaza Strip' for leading the country in steals. And I forget who the big white mook was who basically was in charge of fouling Brands every time down court in 99. I actually think that dude played in the league for a few years.

Don't forget Doron Sheffer, another Israeli who played for Calhoun a bit later.

I think you're thinking of Jake Voskuhl on the 99 team. I actually have a basketball card from when he was with Phoenix.

Last edited:
Voskuhl's the guy. Also, don't forget Voskuhl's only slightly more skilled predecessor, Travis Knight, who actually ended up playing in the league for 7 years.

XK1GSES.png

Not many players get to say their last game was the best of their career

Thanks for the memories, J-Rob. It's a shame K hid you for three and a half years! I know there were no guarantees but I can't help but wonder how he would have played in the NCAA Tournament. :sob:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom