Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Kyle “Flip” Filipowski

Roach's turnovers sucked, but when we cut it to 1, with help from Flip, he just started doing so many stupid things on offense and it was immediately a 10 point lead again. I don't know why has has to try these fadeaway layups all the time. You are 7 fucking feet tall.
He unfortunately doesn't have the ability to make a "body-seeking" move without racking up offensive fouls (see 2022-2023). That plus his short arms means he has to completely beat the defense, attempt a fadeaway or get blocked.

I don't understand why he won't pass out when his move is defended and there's time on the clock. And I don't understand why he was scared to shoot open 3s at the start of the game (well, I attribute that to nerves but that's just my speculation).

Roach's turnovers sucked, but when we cut it to 1, with help from Flip, he just started doing so many stupid things on offense and it was immediately a 10 point lead again. I don't know why has has to try these fadeaway layups all the time. You are 7 fucking feet tall.
He unfortunately doesn't have the ability to make a "body-seeking" move without racking up offensive fouls (see 2022-2023). That plus his short arms means he has to completely beat the defense, attempt a fadeaway or get blocked.

I don't understand why he won't pass out when his move is defended and there's time on the clock. And I don't understand why he was scared to shoot open 3s at the start of the game (well, I attribute that to nerves but that's just my speculation).
My favorite games from him, and some of the games where Duke has played best, have been games where he did more of this. It feels like he either gets in facilitator mode or scorer mode and he has difficulty balancing the two.

It’s weird. Sometimes he’s a willing passer and seems to understand how to play within the larger flow. Other times he goes into what I call Hansbrough mode where once he touches it, you know he’s going to get a shot up no matter what.

A lot of his great reads are on designed plays where the our teams is spread out and he has a pretty good idea of where a double might come from -- either the far wing, far corner, or the other big. I think he's got a great sense of timing and delivery on those passes, to the weak side or to the dunker spot.

On broken plays, though, I think his feel is average at best.

It’s weird. Sometimes he’s a willing passer and seems to understand how to play within the larger flow. Other times he goes into what I call Hansbrough mode where once he touches it, you know he’s going to get a shot up no matter what.

I agree with this. He's a great passer when he's not hellbent on shooting every time. The problem is if his shot isn't falling early, then his defense suffers, and then he forces up even worse shots in an attempt to score. Whereas when he's in facilitator mode, he's usually able to get an efficient 15-20 pts, the ball ends up moving around and a great shot comes from it.

It drives me insane when these guys get tunnel vision driving to the paint and take contested shots against 3 guys. They make a single pass and it's a wide open 3 from a team that shoots damn near 40% instead of getting blocked at the rim (which seems to always result in 2 pts for the opponent the other way).

I agree with this. He's a great passer when he's not hellbent on shooting every time. The problem is if his shot isn't falling early, then his defense suffers, and then he forces up even worse shots in an attempt to score. Whereas when he's in facilitator mode, he's usually able to get an efficient 15-20 pts, the ball ends up moving around and a great shot comes from it.

It drives me insane when these guys get tunnel vision driving to the paint and take contested shots against 3 guys. They make a single pass and it's a wide open 3 from a team that shoots damn near 40% instead of getting blocked at the rim (which seems to always result in 2 pts for the opponent the other way).

I know a Duke alumnus that has a problem which you describe in the last paragraph.

Last edited:

PG Proctor (32) / Roach (8)
SG McCain (32) / Roach (8)
SF Flagg (32) / Evans (8)
PF Filipowski (28) / Evans (12)
C Maluach (20) / Mitchell (20)

Gone: Foster, Schutt, Knueppel, Stewart, Power, Reeves

Convincing Roach to come back for 16 mpg off the bench will be difficult, but not impossible.

Really wish he would entertain the idea of coming back and proving the doubters (myself included) wrong next season. But that is always just a fairytale and I expect to see him picked at the end of the 1st round in this year's draft.

Just not quite the season I expected out of him. Just a little too soft.

I mean, he's a very good player. But he's not fun to watch. And I just don't see how a Flagg-Flip-Khaman lineup works. I think you're risking a Khaman decommit if that happens.

I'm also not emotionally ready to deal with the hate a Flip-Flagg frontcourt would get.

So yeah, I kind of hope he goes.

Yes, in terms of mental maturity. his best game, he didn't get goaded, and he didn't force it, just made the right plays.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom