Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Marques Bolden

DurhamSon said:
CK86 said:
He'll probably become a monster in the pros after receiving more than 2 minutes a game to adjust to the NBA level.

No, let's not delude ourselves into thinking he's anything but a below average player. He was one of the worst big man rebounders who played more than 100 minutes in a duke season in the Pomeroy era, and he has absolutely zero touch with the ball. You can hope he becomes an average college player and defender in space, but we're talking about Duke's equivalent to Desmond Hubert essentially.

I'm angry and irrational, let me have this delusion of Bolden's future grandeur.

DurhamSon said:
CK86 said:
He'll probably become a monster in the pros after receiving more than 2 minutes a game to adjust to the NBA level.

No, let's not delude ourselves into thinking he's anything but a below average player. He was one of the worst big man rebounders who played more than 100 minutes in a duke season in the Pomeroy era, and he has absolutely zero touch with the ball. You can hope he becomes an average college player and defender in space, but we're talking about Duke's equivalent to Desmond Hubert essentially.
I don't know. Sure he was complete ass this year but he's fucking huge (seriously, it's consistently jarring how much bigger he looks than anyone else on the court) and he moves his feet exceptionally well. It isn't hard to see why Givony was so high on him prior to the season. He has legit potential if he can ever learn to rebound and take his conditioning seriously. Desmond Hubert he is not.

best4heisman said:
DurhamSon said:
CK86 said:

I don't know. Sure he was complete *** this year but he's **** huge (seriously, it's consistently jarring how much bigger he looks than anyone else on the court) and he moves his feet exceptionally well. It isn't hard to see why Givony was so high on him prior to the season. He has legit potential if he can ever learn to rebound and take his conditioning seriously. Desmond Hubert he is not.

Guy might be 'huge' but some of basketball is mental, and Bolden may be broken. Hope not - but he just looked disengaged. Hopefully he sticks around and we can morph him into something useful.

Ques, like Jeter, will probably benefit from a year off to work on his game and body. He will then get eligible to play, and try to go pro, vs a historically weak draft class. Smart.
In retrospect, it probably should have been a HUGE red flag when the talent deprived flagship university, UT Austin, didn't really recruit Bolden all that hard. Instead, Smart went all in on Jarrett Allen, who is a late lottery selection that played good D and rebounded.
K wants to recruit these polished offensive players, and then have them play elite defense and rebound like maniacs. He needs to recruit more guys like Javin. And then give them PT. Javin will eventually, and possibly by next year, be the kind of defender and rebounder Duke needs, even if K doesn't yet realize it. We don't need top 25 recruits, unless it is defenders/rebounders like Bamba.

Is barstool blue devils legit? Haven't seen this anywhere else.

That coaching strategy to play 6 guys with a roster full of McDonald's all americans sure paid off!

Good. What a bizarre fucking 15 months or so of having him and on our radar and roster.

There was absolutely zero reason to recruit him given what we knew about his abilities coming out of HS. Like I said in another post, the staff has zero vision whatsoever in recruiting and team-building. Just throwing dartboards at the rankings it seems like.

DurhamSon said:
There was absolutely zero reason to recruit him given what we knew about his abilities coming out of HS. Like I said in another post, the staff has zero vision whatsoever in recruiting and team-building. Just throwing dartboards at the rankings it seems like.

Yup. Rather than look at the top 25 or so players, they need to go out, properly evaluate, and get the type of players that will do what Duke needs/wants them to do. All K wants our bigs to do is rebound, defend, and set picks. There are a ton of long athletes who'd like nothing more than to do that. They aren't going to get huffy when the O doesn't revolve around them, nor are they going to try and prove they are really SGs.

Honestly, Vrank and Javin are probably more in line with the realities of what Duke requires of its bigs than any top tier recruits. Excluding guys like Bamba.

I swear to Thornton if Bolden makes us miss out on Bamba I will ninja punch a baby in the throat

So Bolden is coming back. That takes out of the Bamba sweepstakes right?

If the staff prioritized a sophomore year from Bolden over Bamba, then they just compounded their problems even further.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom