Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Marvin Bagley III

He would've had 20/20 game had K not taken him out early. Glad he got to sit out the last 5 min, as it seemed Pitt was trying to knock the snot out of him

I missed the 1st half, so I was unaware of this:

"During the opening minute, Bagley felt his right shoulder pop out of place after he went up for a rebound. Then he missed five minutes while trying to pop it back in. Although he said his shoulder did not bother him during the game, Miami clearly keyed its defensive efforts in slowing him down."

Bad scene. Fortunately not his left, I guess.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebas...08/duke-erases-13-point-deficit-to-beat-miami

Imagine thinking that a third party not associated with an athlete's family or school could create NCAA eligibility issues by selling a shirt with that athlete's name on it. And then imagine not using any critical thinking skills for even one second to think about the the precedent that would create, and publishing a media article about it anyways.

I dunno, to me, the NCAA bylaws seem to pretty clearly indicate that this sort of situation could potentially create an eligibility issue.

The one drive was Giannis - like. Was certain he only took 2 steps inside the 3 point line to get to the rim.

Yes, his defense needs work. But he scored just shy of half the team's points vs. UVa. That's damn impressive against the best D in the land.

If his defensive issues are mainly due to going full tilt on offense 100% of the time (to his credit, his offensive motor is incredible) and having nothing left for defense, then the obvious solution is to cut down on his involvement in the offense. There are other players who can put up his efficiency or better on this team. Get Allen more involved and see what happens. Might be a disaster, might salvage his season. Set up Trent for more 3s. Get Duval more drives with Bagley and Carter outside the paint, waiting to attack as soon as Duval does his thing. It's perfectly fine for Bagley to stand around taking a few offensive possessions off until the shot goes up, if this would help his defense at all.

Good points. His motor is so good, though, I'm not sure his defensive issues are him saving his energy for offense. Most of the time it's him just getting lost. (Or maybe the coaches are treating him like Mason and advising him to just feign trying on defense so he avoids foul trouble at all costs.)

Yeah, I'm not sure it's a motor thing on defense most of the time. I think he just doesn't know what he's doing on that end.

Sometimes I think it's being clueless. Sometimes he just stands there and watches someone get a layup. I don't think that can be about motor either. How much extra effort would it cost an athlete in peak condition to move four feet? That has to be foul avoidance (whatever the rationale and whether or not he was instructed to do it).

It's possible it's a little of both - perhaps he's so clueless on defense that he's been told not to bother with it, because someone who's really bad at something often does it even worse when they try too hard.

Maybe that's a dumb theory. But I don't know how else to explain his painfully inert defense, especially around the rim.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom