Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Matt Jones

Don't send him back to the bench! Let MJ get some time against the Pack and see how he responds. I liked his aggression lastnight, though his initial move seems to be pretty close to a travel.

I continue to love pretty much everything I see from him. At this point, I would be pretty surprised if Winslow started at SF over him next year. He's just a pretty ideal role-playing wing for our system - I'm not really even sure what I'd say his biggest weakness is in that context. Winslow probably has higher upside, but will that outweigh his weaknesses with Jones doing everything we need from that spot so well?

It also kind of cracks me up how maniacally happy he gets whenever anything good happens. I think he'll be a pretty great leader as an upperclassman, the kind of don't-let-your-team lose guy we don't really have this year.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Needs to shoot better.
That was my thought as well. I can see Justise (if he is as advertised) taking Matt's spot early on if Matt can't shoot better. He did finally make a 3 last night, so that was promising.

Matt got a lot stronger during his senior year in HS, but I also think he's put on muscle since coming to Duke. He is more ripped than I imagined he'd even be as a senior.

I mean, I'd be pretty happy with a 6'4" clone of Thornton, but it seems that Jones can be a much better driver/slasher than Tyler has ever been, with basically no decrease in anything else.

childress22 said:
Matt got a lot stronger during his senior year in HS, but I also think he's put on muscle since coming to Duke. He is more ripped than I imagined he'd even be as a senior.

I mean, I'd be pretty happy with a 6'4" clone of Thornton, but it seems that Jones can be a much better driver/slasher than Tyler has ever been, with basically no decrease in anything else.
Thornton hits threes.

I think Jones has come a long, long way since earlier in the year. He looks less tentative with the ball, and he is putting it on the deck with purpose. His on ball pressure is excellent. In the second half, he made a three and hit his FT's.

I've been impressed with his driving ability since his arrival. And he's not scared to go coast to coast with the ball. And of course, his defense.

I remember watching him in high school and being skeptical that he would shoot well at the college level. He gets zero lift on his shot. OTOH, his form is a lot like Battier's. And Battier's been able to be effective at all levels.

Looks to me like he pushes the ball on his shot.

That's kind of what I feel Battier does, though maybe the ball rotation is better. His feet barely leave the ground and his whole upper body is thrust forward.

MIAMI-%20MATT%20TAKEDOWN-S.gif

Solid defense, size, strength and low TO%. Nice potential. His absolute worst case scenario is a TT who doesn't alienate the idiot fringe of our fanbase.

I would love (and by love I mean hate) to see the response to a TDD threat titled "Can Matt Jones be the next Tyler Thornton?"

2001Dukechamps said:
MIAMI-%20MATT%20TAKEDOWN-S.gif

Solid defense, size, strength and low TO%. Nice potential. His absolute worst case scenario is a TT who doesn't alienate the idiot fringe of our fanbase.
Wow. I posted on another thread about that being one of my favorite moments of the game. That dude is way bigger than him, too.

This was the second or third game where one of our guys ripped the ball away from somebody like that. It's become such a trend, I have to think the coaches have told them to do it. It's not only effective, it looks badass as hell.

physicsfactor said:
SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Needs to shoot better.
That was my thought as well. I can see Justise (if he is as advertised) taking Matt's spot early on if Matt can't shoot better. He did finally make a 3 last night, so that was promising.

I have to think he'll come around, at least to the point where he's a reliable open shooter. It's not like he can't shoot, as evidenced by his high school career and ranking, it's IMO that he's struggling to adjust to college defenders challenging his low release.

I don't really have the same faith in Winslow being a natural shooter, but would be happy to be surprised. I certainly agree that Winslow would start over Jones if he's the better 3PT shooter, but I'd be really surprised if that ends up being the case next year.

He will be a key 2nd unit player for sure. If he improves his shooting even marginally, his other attributes will demand floor time. In light of the need for perimeter D, I cannot see Allen taking his spot.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom