Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Matt Jones

Not a fan of players thinking about how much they've sucked while launching a hugely important shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we please reduce him to a spot up three point shooter ala Dawkins? Him handling the ball is a disaster waiting to happen

DurhamSon said:
Can we please reduce him to a spot up three point shooter ala Dawkins? Him handling the ball is a disaster waiting to happen

Rasheed Sulaimon thread is a different one. Matt has 8 turnovers on the year in 251 minutes.

childress22 said:
DurhamSon said:

Rasheed Sulaimon thread is a different one. Matt has 8 turnovers on the year in 251 minutes.

IDGAF what the boxscore says; statistician missed something because I think he had at least two in the first half. That, and the missed open layup + airball

He has had a couple of left-handed layup attempts blocked on fast break situations.

DurhamSon said:
IDGAF what the boxscore says; statistician missed something because I think he had at least two in the first half. That, and the missed open layup + airball

The missed shots were ugly. But I think that in general, he makes smart -- if conservative -- decisions with the ball (actually, kind of like Dawkins, although Matt dribbles and slashes more). I like having him out there for that reason, even though every shot seems like a crapshoot.

I mean, look at last year -- Matt had 4 turnovers on the entire season, in 235 minutes. That's fewer than Jah had tonight, and the same number Sheed and Cook combined for tonight (2 each).

I think his willingness to put the ball on the deck helps keep the opponents honest. He has to do a better job finishing on the break, though

Yeah, DSon, I think you're wrong on this one. He missed a bunch of layups, but didn't turn it over. Those layups somehow all resulted in fast break points for Wake, so no doubt they seemed like turnovers.

But to be fair, everything resulted in a fast break layup for Wake.

Maybe he's just my irrational hate player this year like Cook was before. I dunno. It seems like our offense is such fucking ass whenever he's out there though. I'm gonna look at the +/- again.

I am glad he hit that 3, but I'm not sure what possessed K to play him in the biggest stretch of the game, given the type of minutes he's gotten to date. Fine because it worked but the second half substitutions were definitely not what I was expecting.

I mean, don't get me wrong. He was awful offensively before hitting two big shots (one being 100% thanks to Tyus).

“I just told myself that I was due for something,” he said. “I always just tell myself to try to impact the game in some way. Obviously, I was impacting the game in a negative way up to that point."

There is no question that Matt had two TO's in the first half, I don't know who they gave them to. Matt did not play well for the majority of the game, but you gotta give him props for showing up in probably the biggest moment of his career. That three was silk.

You have to wonder if Matt just needs to be in his "spot" on 3's. It's pretty clear Sheed and Winslow have their spots, and maybe Jones likes that wing triple better than the corner triple.

I'll have to go back and watch it to see what you guys are talking about. Even if true (which I'm not convinced of) two turnovers for the game doesn't qualify as a disaster, though. As Childress points out, he's not turnover prone in general.

Oh, and Cook seems to have his "spots" as well. The right baseline and the right wing are where he takes the majority of his threes and I would bet his percentage is by far the highest there.

6 minutes, 1-2 from the line, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 turnover, 4 fouls.

I give him credit for not shooting the ball, but uhhhhh.... that's a lot of fouls.

DurhamSon said:
6 minutes, 1-2 from the line, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 1 turnover, 4 fouls.

I give him credit for not shooting the ball, but uhhhhh.... that's a lot of fouls.

Matt certainly played like ass today. But hey, at least he was close enough to his guy to pick up some fouls, rather than being faked out 5 feet the wrong way (I see you Tyus, Quinn).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom