Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Matt Jones

In looking at the departing players (as well as the incoming players), Matt Jones should have between 10-15 minutes a game this season given the skills Jones has already shown. If he can become a reliable outside shooter, he may get the same amount of minutes Thornton saw last year (20 min/game).

torontoduke said:
In looking at the departing players (as well as the incoming players), Matt Jones should have between 10-15 minutes a game this season given the skills Jones has already shown. If he can become a reliable outside shooter, he may get the same amount of minutes Thornton saw last year (20 min/game).
I know this is a very late reply but I completely disagree. Jones was abysmal offensively last year. He made Josh Hairston look like a model of efficiency. Until he can get his three-point shooting above 32-33% and his overall shooting around 40% then I don't see any reason for him to play among the talented crop of wings we have this season.

I think Jones brings skills that the other wings do not - namely defence, which should command playing time even in the crowded group.

I do agree with your criticism of MJ's offensive performance last year, but I have to believe he will improve in that area as his career progresses.

His ball has absolutely no spin on it. He still has a weird looking shot, but he was awesome tonight.

Love his game right now. Being able to stick that corner 3 is huge. I thought he played well on defense too.

Whenever Winslow is out of the game, I like the lineup of two of Cook, Sulaimon and T. Jones, and then M. Jones, Jefferson and Okafor. You put Okafor on one side, stash Jefferson on the other side near the basket. Okafor has to get a touch on every possession with this lineup- can make the defense choose whether or not to double him. If they choose no, he should take it himself. If they choose yes, someone is getting a very clean look at a 3, likely in rhythm after a pass or two around the perimeter. It's beautiful.

You can obviously do it with Winslow too, but they're likely going to let him take the shot more often than not. I would sign up for 33 percent from him from 3pt I think.

He has a decent ability to finish through contact, which he has shown on a few occasions this year. Hopefully his jumper will be back on target Thursday night.

He's pretty strong for his size, which helps with his defense and his finishing in the lane. He missed several open threes he's been hitting all year.

Well, it has happened.

DurhamSon said:
I would love (and by love I mean hate) to see the response to a TDD threat titled "Can Matt Jones be the next Tyler Thornton?"

He's 2 for his last 15 overall and is still shooting 50% from the floor and 41% from 3. LOL.

aiw said:
He's 2 for his last 15 overall and is still shooting 50% from the floor and 41% from 3. LOL.

I think this is it.

Question about today. When he had the leak out for the easy layup in the 1st half, but missed, did he get nailed? Looked like he got fouled really hard, but nothing was called. No replay.

He'll turn it around, I believe. It is encouraging that he still gets floor time even if his shot is not falling. He is doing something right.

^^it looked like MJ slowed down a bit which allowed the defender to catch up. From what I recall on the replay, the block was clean.

I'd play Tyus and Cook almost the full 40 minutes each against good teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coach K had endless praise for Jones today, so don't expect less of him.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom