Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

It's more a bank robbers film, with some Western elements. The people involved have done some pretty good things in the past.

A bunch of well regarded movies just came in to the theater down the street from my house. Sausage Party, Kubo and the Two Strings, and Florence Foster Jenkins all topped the 80% mark. Kubo's trailer looks outstanding, and the movie is at 96%.

rome8180 said:
This is the movie I'm most excited to see. Screw summer blockbusters. Unfortunately the release is limited and it looks like I'll just miss it in Philly.

Still at a 99%. Too bad you can't see it anywhere.

Movies with limited theatrical distribution should always do a simultaneous on-demand release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought The Nice Guys was great. Excellent cinematography, wardrobe, set design. Good chemistry between Crowe and Gosling. Brisk pace. Tonally it was a more lucid Inherent Vice, or one of the more light-heard Coen Brothers movies. The "conspiracy" part of he plot was silly, but that didn't detract too much.

Seems destined for cult classic status.

Prisoners was a pretty awesome movie. If it hadn't been for the over-the-topness of last 30 minutes, plus a few cliches throughout and some moments that violated basic logic, it would have been one of the best things I've seen all year.

In general, the "reveal" in the mystery/thriller genre is my least favorite element.

Jake Gyllenhaal movies are becoming a genre among themselves. I was pleasantly surprised by Prisoners. I watched a cam version of Source Code when it first came out, which took a lot away from it. I still need to watch that and Inception for a 2nd time.

I've heard Nightcrawler was great, but I've yet to watch it. I really enjoyed Enemy, which also had Gyllenhall, and is by the same director as Prisoners. Totally different tone/look. That director also did Sicario, Incendies, and the new alien movie, Arrival.

Arrival's maybe my most looked-forward-to movie of the year. It's based on a story by a kickass sci-fi writer, and it's getting amazing reviews so far.

I'm not totally in love with the trailer, but it's gonna be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Netflix says I would. They are usually right (except they think I'll enjoy every arty foreign movie).

Physics, Ted Chiang, the writer of the short story Arrival is based on, is someone you might like. He's one of the new big names in sci-fi. He's won a bunch of awards in recent years. He's good with the high-concept stuff, but he doesn't skimp on character.

He's only got one short story collection at this point, I believe. Not sure if you like shorter stuff.

The Birth of a Nation currently has 96% from Rotten Tomatoes and a 4.8 on IMDB. I assume that the low IMDB rating is due to the rape accusations against the director, since no one but critics and a select few festival goers could have seen the actual movie yet.

Fear of a Black Hat is one of the funniest movies ever. Is to rap what Spinal Tap is to rock, but with more social commentary.

The Girl on the Train is getting bad reviews. I was looking forward to seeing it in the theater, but won't be doing that anymore.

October is such a dead month. The only remotely interesting mainstream movie is the Accountant with Ben Affleck, JK Simmons and Anna Kendrick, which has the most boring name imaginable.

November brings us Dr. Strange, Arrival and Nocturnal Animals with Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal. Amy Adams is doing that thing again where she impresses everyone in two movies at around the same time.

I guess the big Christmas movie will be Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt.

I might go see Birth of a Nation. The terrible IMDB ratings all existed prior to anyone seeing it. Not sure if those were racist deplorables or liberals mad about the rape accusations. The 88% on Rotten Tomatoes makes it sound worth it. The only other movies in the theater at close to that level are Sully and Deepwater Horizon. I don't understand why Sully would be subject matter that anyone cares about. Deepwater Horizon at least seems like it has the possibility of larger relevance.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I guess the big Christmas movie will be Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt.
Rogue One, December 16th.

I'm also curious about the Patriot's Day movie.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
The Girl on the Train is getting bad reviews. I was looking forward to seeing it in the theater, but won't be doing that anymore.

October is such a dead month. The only remotely interesting mainstream movie is the Accountant with Ben Affleck, JK Simmons and Anna Kendrick, which has the most boring name imaginable.

November brings us Dr. Strange, Arrival and Nocturnal Animals with Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal. Amy Adams is doing that thing again where she impresses everyone in two movies at around the same time.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them tho

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom