Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

deepdarkblue said:
13690675_10154249634682978_4476835266482346522_n.png

Stephen King's It Coming to Theaters Sept 2017

How did I not know about this? Holy crap.

Looked at some pics. The set design and costume stuff is good at least, unlike The Dark Tower adaptation. People are complaining about Idris Elba playing a character that was white in The Dark Tower books. I'm just complaining about how awful his costume looks.

The new Ghostbusters movie is getting the most widely disparate reviews I've ever seen between critics on one hand (saying it's mediocre-to-good) and normal people on the other (saying it's absolute trash). That's interesting to me. I figure a lot of critics skew liberal and love the social equality concept of having an all-female Ghostbusters team (or at least think it benefits them professionally to say they love this), whereas most normal people don't care about that, especially when deciding how good a mindless movie is.

Mad Max Fury Road probably set a bad precedent for being a feminist movie that was still mostly good. Now we're going to see the all-female remake of Gladiator.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
The new Ghostbusters movie is getting the most widely disparate reviews I've ever seen between critics on one hand (saying it's mediocre-to-good) and normal people on the other (saying it's absolute trash). That's interesting to me. I figure a lot of critics skew liberal and love the social equality concept of having an all-female Ghostbusters team (or at least think it benefits them professionally to say they love this), whereas most normal people don't care about that, especially when deciding how good a mindless movie is.

Mad Max Fury Road probably set a bad precedent for being a feminist movie that was still mostly good. Now we're going to see the all-female remake of Gladiator.

I doubt the normal people reviews are any more honest. It's got a 4.4 on IMDB. I mean, come on. There's no way it's that bad. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 has the same rating.

Critics are overvaluing it because they don't want to seem sexist, and raging misogynists are trashing it. I bet the truth is in the middle.

I'm just in a state of suspended animation until Jason Bourne is released. July 29th.

The new Star Trek is supposed to be good. More like an original Star Trek TV episode than the previous ones, which were good anyway, except to the true geeks.

Watching Willy Wonka with the kids and Augustus Gloob is downright skinny in 2016 terms. Oompa Loompas were very prescient.

aiw said:
Watching Willy Wonka with the kids and Augustus Gloob is downright skinny in 2016 terms. Oompa Loompas were very prescient.

One of the greatest movies ever made (assuming you mean the Gene Wilder one).

Of course. I pretend the Johnny Depp one doesn't exist.

That Depp-Burton pairing has just been awful in the last 10+ years. Sweeney Todd was pretty good, I guess.

Depp's portrayal of Wonka has to be one of the worst performances ever. Painfully affected, totally out of touch with the point of the character. Elfman's music was also inferior to the original.

Ghostbusters consistently rising on IMDB. I think I was right that the initial rating was a reflection of people who had not actually seen it. I'm taking advantage of $5 movie day to see it this afternoon. Not a summer blockbuster guy, so I expect to enjoy it mildly at best.

This will be the most underrated movie weekend of the summer. 6 movies opening are at 90% or higher on RottenTomatoes, 3 others are at 80-89%.

The obviously horrible Ice Age: Collision Course, at 15%, and starring Ray Romano, John Leguizamo, Queen Latifah and Jennifer Lopez, will have higher opening weekend revenues than all of those movies combined, except Star Trek.

>90% this weekend:

Star Trek Beyond
Lights Out (horror)
Don't Think Twice (Key from Key & Peele)
Train to Busan (Korean zombie movie)
Hooligan Sparrow (documentary about Chinese stuff)
The Seventh Fire (documentary about Native American stuff)

Summertime (art house lesbian love movie) barely missed the cut.

Ghostbusters (if anyone cares):

I'd give it a 7. Solid but not great.

Good coherent storyline; great special effects; reasonable character work; some moments of dumb humor and some genuine wit. Kristin Wiig is funny; Kate McKinnon is not (and I'm not just speaking of this movie). However, I found myself oddly attracted to her in a way I'd not been before. (I'm aware she's a lesbian.) Leslie Jones's character was a little too "token black sassy character" for my tastes.

All in all, by the standards of a summer blockbuster, it was good. By the standards of the first movie, it was just okay.

Been really into Michael Mann movies lately. Heat was good, but I thought The Insider was better. Kind of an underrated masterpiece.

Corporate capitalism such as the kind practiced by big tobacco (and the health care industry, the gun industry, and the oil industry) is one of the chief sources of evil in the world.

That's funny I was just talking with some friends about Russel Crowe and how big he was at a certain time, and The Insider was a really good one that a lot of folks forget about.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom