Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

aiw said:
Thanks for the heads up. Going 12/16.

Got mine for 7:20pm on 12/15

Very first showing anywhere around me.

Hell or High Water was one of my favorite movies I watched this year. Every actor is terrific, especially Ben Foster and Jeff Bridges. Excellent use of setting. Tight story. Somewhere in between a heist movie and a traditional Western.

I wrote down pretty much every movie I watched this year and gave it a 1-10 rating and a 2-3 sentence review. I may post it here at the end of the year, but it's absurdly long and I doubt it would be that interesting. It's mostly something I did for my own amusement. For some reason I got way more into movies as an art form this year.

hqdefault.jpg

Arrival was beautiful. Should get Oscar nominations for directing, Amy Adams acting, and whatever the appropriate music category is.

One of the only things that makes me think positively about humanity is how movies manage to be unspoiled forever. Knowing anything about Arrival would probably spoil the whole thing.

They are making a remake of The Mummy starring Tom Cruise. They will never recreate the magic of Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz.

Also Brendan Fraser looks pretty terrible these days as the prison guard in The Affair

bdotling said:
They are making a remake of The Mummy starring Tom Cruise. They will never recreate the magic of Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz.
The preview, though. Damn.

Just saw a trailer for Fences, directed by and starring Denzel. I thought it looked really good. Based on the famous August Wilson play. I tend to love movie scripts based on plays, because dialogue is one of the most important elements in a movie to me and playwrights are just better writers than screenwriters are.

The trailer for "War for the Planet of the Apes" looks cool. The previous movie in the series is one of my favorite movies ever regardless of genre. So really looking forward to the new one in July.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Arrival was beautiful. Should get Oscar nominations for directing, Amy Adams acting, and whatever the appropriate music category is.

One of the only things that makes me think positively about humanity is how movies manage to be unspoiled forever. Knowing anything about Arrival would probably spoil the whole thing.

Saw it last night, it's a must see in the theater, unless you have a room sized TV at home. There were a few things that bothered me though.

I am consistently baffled by the theme that the nations of earth would threaten alien life forms upon their arrival on earth.

and also

I am sick of movies where China and Russia are the boogie man.

Otherwise, a beautiful, moving and thought provoking movie. I have always enjoyed Forrest Whitaker as an actor as well, and thought he brought some credibility to his character.

I agree with the second part, but as for the first I would say

humans are awful and can't get along with each other. Imagine how they would react to a true Other? Also, they do start out peacefully if cautiously.

Farmer, speaking of Forest Whitaker, have you ever seen The Last King of Scotland? Overall a fantastic movie, but particularly for Whitaker's performance as Idi Amin. I forgot I was watching a well known actor for most of it.

If I watched Force Awakens, do I need to see this movie to understand the story?

This movie occurs just before Original Star Wars. It seems it is about the stealing of the Death Star plans, which leads into Original Star Wars. Force Awakens occurs 30+ years later.

rome8180 said:
Farmer, speaking of Forest Whitaker, have you ever seen The Last King of Scotland? Overall a fantastic movie, but particularly for Whitaker's performance as Idi Amin. I forgot I was watching a well known actor for most of it.

I haven't, totally forgot how much I want to see it. My love of Whitaker started with the Crying Game back in the day.

Also, Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, though that is a little less accessible of a movie.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom