Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

MrAntHux said:
Before I go see Rogue one I'm getting/forcing my wife to watch all the Star Wars movies. Should I go by date released or by episode number? It's been a while since I've seen the others and she has never seen any.

4>5>1>2>3>6>7

Watch them in that order.

Star Wars

1. Tarkin CGI was pretty damn good.
2. Why didn't they unleash the full power of the Death Star? Destroying 1/3 of a planet scares you enough, just go all the way. Clearly, very powerful.
3. Creates a discontinuity with Episode 4 where they are surprised by the power of the Death Star.
4. The neck of Darth Vader's mask was too thick.
5. Did they forget how easy it was to kill an AT-AT between this movie and Empire?
6. I was waiting for Mega Maid to show up to suck all of the air off that planet.

Anyway, really liked it, but not as good as Force Awakens

aiw said:
Star Wars

2. Why didn't they unleash the full power of the Death Star? Destroying 1/3 of a planet scares you enough, just go all the way. Clearly, very powerful.
3. Creates a discontinuity with Episode 4 where they are surprised by the power of the Death Star.
5. Did they forget how easy it was to kill an AT-AT between this movie and Empire?
6. I was waiting for Mega Maid to show up to suck all of the air off that planet.

1. I'm seeing a lot of people being critical of it, but I thought it was great. He had to be in the movie and it was much better than recasting it.
2. By only using a portion of the power they could pass off the destruction as a mining accident. They didn't want to go full power until they were ready to make an example of Alderaan
3. Not sure I follow
4. Yes
5. Apparently. I had the same thought. Must have been cheap knock-off AT-AT's
6. :lol:

My initial reaction is that I don't like it as much as The Force Awakens, but I've seen TFA about a dozen times. I'll need to watch R1 a few more times to determine where it fits in my personal hierarchy.

2-3. I guess it matters how much time there is between the end of this move and the destruction of Alderaan. I suppose it may have only been a couple of days. In that case it makes sense that the power of the Death Star was not widespread knowledge, but the Tantive was not the only ship that made it out of that battle. Others saw the destruction of that base/half the planet during the last battle.

aiw said:
2-3. I guess it matters how much time there is between the end of this move and the destruction of Alderaan. I suppose it may have only been a couple of days. In that case it makes sense that the power of the Death Star was not widespread knowledge, but the Tantive was not the only ship that made it out of that battle. Others saw the destruction of that base/half the planet during the last battle.

I'm pretty sure Alderaan happens like a day or two after Scarif.

aiw said:
Star Wars

aiw said:
* Don't forget Tarkin himself said they wanted to make a statement with the destruction of Jeddha City, not a manifesto. The talk amongst the Rebels and spies was that there was a potential planet killer being developed. None of them had seen the full destructive magnitude of the Death Star yet. Also, the shot was fired into the ocean, and not directly at the base, so in their haste to flee, whichever Rebels managed to escape could easily have placed the level of destruction on the resulting tsunami. No other living Rebel saw what happened on Jeddha.

* I guess the vulnerability of the AT-ATs on Scarif compared to Hoth could be explained/justified by holding that newer models were developed/refined by then. It's supposed to be 3 years between the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Hoth, which seems like a reasonable time frame, plus any adjustments made for the extreme cold conditions.

* While awesome to hear, James Earl Jones' voice is definitely aging. That was kinda depressing.

* Of all the badass Vader moments ever, that final scene was the baddest of them all.

* The aspect of the movie that I appreciated the most was the depiction of how the Rebels often faced situations where in order to do good, they had to do bad things.

dkst0426 said:
aiw said:
Star Wars

aiw said:
* Don't forget Tarkin himself said they wanted to make a statement with the destruction of Jeddha City, not a manifesto. The talk amongst the Rebels and spies was that there was a potential planet killer being developed. None of them had seen the full destructive magnitude of the Death Star yet. Also, the shot was fired into the ocean, and not directly at the base, so in their haste to flee, whichever Rebels managed to escape could easily have placed the level of destruction on the resulting tsunami. No other living Rebel saw what happened on Jeddha.

* I guess the vulnerability of the AT-ATs on Scarif compared to Hoth could be explained/justified by holding that newer models were developed/refined by then. It's supposed to be 3 years between the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Hoth, which seems like a reasonable time frame, plus any adjustments made for the extreme cold conditions.

* While awesome to hear, James Earl Jones' voice is definitely aging. That was kinda depressing.

* Of all the badass Vader moments ever, that final scene was the baddest of them all.

* The aspect of the movie that I appreciated the most was the depiction of how the Rebels often faced situations where in order to do good, they had to do bad things.

Another thing to note is that those were AT-ACT's on Scarif, not AT-AT's. Perhaps the AT-ACT's were not built to be as battle ready as the AT-AT's.

Force Awakens is only $14.99 for bluray/dvd combo at best buy's website. That's about the least expensive I've seen.

CK86 said:
Force Awakens is only $14.99 for bluray/dvd combo at best buy's website. That's about the least expensive I've seen.

Does that have all the bonus stuff? The digital version from Amazon has 2 hours of behind the scenes footage and deleted scenes.

The first 1:30 of Rogue One was kind of garbage.The last 45 minutes was just FLAAAAAAAAMES. The last 5 minutes were orgasmic.

NCCUknow said:
The first 1:30 of Rogue One was kind of garbage.The last 45 minutes was just FLAAAAAAAAMES. The last 5 minutes were orgasmic.

Everything on Jedha was good. Big fan of Saw Gerrera.

ZackM said:
NCCUknow said:

Yeah, that was a dope character. They just had no clue what to do with him.

NCCUknow said:
ZackM said:
NCCUknow said:

Lies! Deception!

NCCUknow said:
ZackM said:
NCCUknow said:

Watching Clone Wars and Rebels provides some background to him.

Watched "Girl on the Train." Meh. Felt like a poor man's Gone Girl. I can see how the book might have be great, with a lot more character development. To fit the movie format, they tried to turn a psychological work into a thriller based on plot twists. Also think Emily Blunt playing a character with no humor is a bad fit.

The book was weak. I saw the big twist coming from a mile away.

Watched Jason Bourne last night. Worst of the bunch, though I'm sure I've forgotten a lot about the others.

No, it's by far the worst of the bunch. I am a big fan of the other movies and have rewatched them a lot of times. So I was primed to like it. Instead, it was one of the worst movies I saw last year.

The third one, The Bourne Ultimatum, is the best, followed by The Bourne Identity.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom