Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

I saw Arrival tonight. I thought it was fantastic. I had heard from some of my dumb friends that it was boring, and I don't even want to be friends with them anymore after seeing the movie.

As a newish father, I spent much of this evening pondering the "choice". Oof.

I don't really understand how dumb you have to be to find it boring. For me it was filled with incredible tension. In fact, that was one of its strengths -- managing to be about thought-provoking subjects while still having a ton at stake from scene to scene.

JohaadDBC said:
If I watched Force Awakens, do I need to see this movie to understand the story?

No, but you should see it anyway. Have you seen the original trilogy?

rome8180 said:
I don't really understand how dumb you have to be to find it boring. For me it was filled with incredible tension. In fact, that was one of its strengths -- managing to be about thought-provoking subjects while still having a ton at stake from scene to scene.
Yes, I thought it was very intense without needing a bunch of crazy action. Dumbs want action though. The score was beautiful, too.

Have you read "Story of Your Life"? I think you mentioned Ted Chiang on here a while back. I haven't read any of his stuff, but I'll have to give this one a go.

ZackM said:
JohaadDBC said:
If I watched Force Awakens, do I need to see this movie to understand the story?

I saw Episode 4 when I was a kid, but that was it. If not for some friends saying Force Awakens was so great, I wouldn't have seen that one. I did enjoy that one quite a bit though.

JohaadDBC said:
ZackM said:
JohaadDBC said:

I saw Episode 4 when I was a kid, but that was it. If not for some friends saying Force Awakens was so great, I wouldn't have seen that one. I did enjoy that one quite a bit though.

lol...

You should watch the original trilogy before seeing Rogue One. And then you should also rewatch Force Awakens. It will make more sense if you've seen the originals.

ZackM said:
JohaadDBC said:
ZackM said:
JohaadDBC said:

lol...

You should watch the original trilogy before seeing Rogue One. And then you should also rewatch Force Awakens. It will make more sense if you've seen the originals.
Ditto.

And watching the originals will ensure that you don't make the same mistake a lot of people have brought up about:

Bothans and Mon Mothma. I guess I just took it for granted that there wouldn't be the confusion about which Death Star plans this movie was going to be about.

I've seen around 60 movies this year. Of the movies I've seen, Nocturnal Animals was my favorite. I may be saying that because I just came out of the theater, but wow.

It's not without flaws, and I could see some arguing that the framing narrative (a domestic drama) just slows down the embedded narrative (which is essentially a thriller). But there is all kinds of subtle interplay that I think will reward multiple viewings. It's not going to be a popular movie with audiences; it's challenging, and a large portion of it is about the impulses and processes of making art. Also, the opening credits are very graphic in a way I've never seen in a Hollywood movie. I saw two people walk out. It's too bad because they missed a masterpiece. Or maybe they wouldn't have liked it anyway.

I like Amy Adams and have been intrigued by the trailer and reviews. Will be checking it out eventually for sure.

rome8180 said:
I agree with the second part, but as for the first I would say

humans are awful and can't get along with each other. Imagine how they would react to a true Other? Also, they do start out peacefully if cautiously.

My wife said pretty much the same thing. Most of the time, when people are faced with something they can't understand, they react poorly.

Rogue One was great. Really liked the nods to the rest of the saga along the way.

People in my feed are loving Rogue One. I'll probably go see Manchester by the Sea today instead. Rogue One will probably be in the theater for a billion years anyway.

Did end up seeing Manchester by the Sea. A little bit overrated in terms of both audience and critical ratings. But still great.

I liked that it didn't have the predictable character arc. The setup is basically: sad sack with a traumatic past has to return to his hometown when his brother dies. His sixteen-year-old nephew has been placed in his care, and he has a choice to make about whether to take on that responsibility. A typical Hollywood movie would have him be reluctant for 80% of the movie but slowly learn to live and love again. This movie had a subtler change, which was cool. But it did get a little bit wearisome watching a guy who can't or won't get out of his own self-destructive way.

Tremendous acting from Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams, which is no surprise to those who have followed their career. Some bad acting moments from a couple of other characters, but nothing that ruined it. Great dialogue with a nice balance of wit and seriousness.

rome8180 said:
People in my feed are loving Rogue One. I'll probably go see Manchester by the Sea today instead. Rogue One will probably be in the theater for a billion years anyway.

Idiot.

Rogue One was the shit.

Before I go see Rogue one I'm getting/forcing my wife to watch all the Star Wars movies. Should I go by date released or by episode number? It's been a while since I've seen the others and she has never seen any.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom