Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Parents got paid $200 by the photographer. Guy's lawyer claims parents didn't know what it would be used for and that adding the dollar later makes it seem like he's a sex worker.

Anyway, if he got nothing in life out of this before now, he's done it very, very wrong.

In other Dave Grohl-related news, this warmed my heart. Nandi is an 11-year-old drum prodigy. One of her first videos to blow up was a cover of "In Bloom." Grohl heard about it and, among other things, invited her up on stage to play with the Foo Fighters.

She crushes it, of course. She looks so happy. Dave's introduction was really nice too.

Pearl Jam Ten turned 30 this week. When it was released, Chubby Checker’s “Let’s Twist Again” was 30 years old.

In other Dave Grohl-related news, this warmed my heart. Nandi is an 11-year-old drum prodigy. One of her first videos to blow up was a cover of "In Bloom." Grohl heard about it and, among other things, invited her up on stage to play with the Foo Fighters.

She crushes it, of course. She looks so happy. Dave's introduction was really nice too.

That was fun as hell! She was awesome.

Also, I freaking love Pat Smear. He always looks like he’s so happy to be up there.

It's so weird to me that Pat Smear's first band was the Germs. I like punk rock, but not this kind of punk rock. Anyway, the polished music he plays nowadays could not be further from his roots.

Last bit of trivia. During the '80s and '90s, Smear had bit parts in Blade Runner, Breakin', and Howard the Duck. He met Courtney Love on the set of Breakin', which is how Kurt Cobain ended up calling him. Cobain was already a Germs fan.

Also, it was Nirvana who was responsible for getting the Germs record reissued as part of their deal with Geffen.

Smear played second guitar when I saw Nirvana live. Cobain sat in a chair with a cardigan on while Smear went nuts running around on stage. The whole thing was weird.

Cobain had trouble remembering guitar parts while singing. So it was basically to cover for him if he missed a chord.

The tour I wish I had seen most was Nirvana, Jawbreaker, and Mudhoney. Unfortunately, I was 13 at the time and they didn't come to the East Coast.

Don't know if anyone here listens to 'country' music at all. I typically have no time for it and consider it insipid, especially bro country shit that is all about trucks, pounding brews and flag waving. That said, my daughter has gotten me interested in a group of nominally 'country' singers that are far more talented and creative, and I've been exploring their stuff for a few months and been very impressed. Three that have really stood out are Sturgill Simpson, Tyler Childers and Jason Isbell.

I'd know about Simpson for a while. His second album was really good and way the hell off the reservation. His stuff has gotten crazy since, releasing the album 'Sound & Fury' a few years ago with an accompanying Netflix Anime film that is only vaguely 'country' by any standard, but so damn good.

Childers is a little more old school but a really inspired lyricist:

He recently became famous/infamous in country circles for his album 'Long History of Violence' and the video he put out explaining it:

Isbell has been successful longer, and has a pretty deep catalog between his solo work and his time with the band Drive By Truckers. First guy in country demanding people be vaccinated at his concerts:

Recently took a Metallica song and turned it on its ear:

Planning on seeing all these guys live over the next few months. It's been like finding a $100 bill in a pair of washed pants.

Reactions: TS9
Contemporary country is basically AM radio for the rubes.

All the guys mentioned above are a gigantic cut above.

Since @deeyoukayeee posted Isbell's cover of Sad But True, I suppose I'll admit that I've listened to every last second of the Metallica Blacklist tribute album. Not surprisingly, especially considering the number of songs, it runs the gamut from spectacular to pretty fucking awful.

It's an interesting concept, though, to have that many artists involved in covering a single album. The Black Album gives you a lot of leeway musically. But Jesus Christ the weakness of the lyrics are so glaring when removed from the Metallica framework. Hetfield is a legendary rhythm guitarist and riff writer, but poor guy can't write a decent lyric whatsoever.

I strongly disagree with that assessment, especially for the albums before the Black Album. Of course, none of those albums are featured on Blacklist. But I think the lyrics on Master of Puppets and And Justice for All... are really strong. They tell a coherent narrative or make a political point and do so without anything sounding forced. I especially like the anti-war songs like "Disposable Heroes" and "One." I also appreciate that they drew from literary references (Dalton Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun in "One," HP Lovecraft in multiple songs, Hemingway in "For Whom the Bell Tolls," Stephen King in "Ride the Lightning," etc.)

Even on the Black Album, I think songs like "Enter Sandman" and "The Unforgiven" have pretty fucking good lyrics (particularly the latter). The thing is that these lyrics are written FOR a heavy backdrop. So of course they're going to sound absurd when sung acoustically. But that doesn't make them not well crafted.

Sorry for the rant. But I've been watching a lot of documentaries with Metallica in the studio, and my two main conclusions were: 1) Lars is the most important creative force in the band; 2) James Hetfield is an excellent lyricist.

Also, 3) James is one of the greatest rhythm guitarists ever. But I already knew that before watching the documentaries.

I guess I could include 4) Kirk kind of sucks. He sits there and does nothing until it's time to add a solo. The solos are horrible. They're out of time, and they ignore the chord changes. They're just fast pentatonic wankery. After digging a bit deeper, it turns out that the Metallica solos I like most were usually composed by James (and often performed by him). I think not being a shredder made him focus on melody.

Reactions: TS9

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom