Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Ha, I appreciate the rant @rome8180. Reasonable (or mostly reasonable) people can disagree. I love Metallica. I could talk all day about the band's history, personalities and the sonic range of their catalog. I just find the lyrics ponderous and distractingly dorky. But different folks hear different things.

Lars is definitely the guy who tends to know better than any of the others what works or doesn't work musically, or at least what will resonate with the audience. He's also just a supremely odd and interesting character.

I don't have any strong opinions about Kirk. Above average, but not great, technical player who doesn't really have many great musical ideas. I think that's precisely how he's survived so long in the band. Especially after Cliff died, Metallica has predominantly been set up as Lars/James + two other dudes who show up when they're told and don't ruffle too many feathers. In general, Kirk and Robert seem like pretty chill dudes who are comfortable cashing the checks and leaving the heavy lifting to Lars and James.

Last edited:
I assume most people have seen this by now, but here's Mick Jagger at a Charlotte, NC dive bar being recognized by nobody.

I heard that some of the people there had tickets to the Stones show but still didn't notice him.

You don't really expect to see Mick Jagger by himself in a ball cap. I wonder if anyone noticed and decided to leave him alone. That must have been refreshing. Looks like my kind of dive bar.

You don't really expect to see Mick Jagger by himself in a ball cap. I wonder if anyone noticed and decided to leave him alone. That must have been refreshing. Looks like my kind of dive bar.

According to interviews with the bar owner, nobody recognized him. It's probably not the first time Mick has done this, I imagine.

I've learned that developers tried to squeeze the bar out but the bar owner triumphed over them.
Perspective -

What an absolute masterpiece this song is. I bought this soundtrack for a dollar today because I love the Alanis Morisette and Sarah McLaughlin songs and wanted something to play on my new stereo setup. And then I heard this song for the first time and can't stop listening.

Couple recent acoustic covers of blink-182 songs that I found enjoyable, for anyone who might be interested:

Just discovered this radio show that breaks down isolated tracks of classic songs. Hearing the isolated tracks from "Sir Duke" is mind-blowing. The bass alone made me want to quit music (but also to try harder).

There's innate talent and then there's someone like Stevie Wonder. His producer said he was "touched by the hand of god." Even though I'm not religious, I agree.

I don't have a @rome8180 like knowledge of music theory or anything, but I can usually figure out most songs I find interesting on the piano by ear, or with a little googling if I'm rusty. Stevie Wonder was one of the only phases I went through where I just had to throw my hands up and just follow a note-by-note guide because I just could not grasp what the fuck was going on. I have no clue how you come with something musically like "For Once In My Life" when it doesn't already exist.

What I think is most impressive is that he managed to write songs that are incredibly layered with dozens of interlocking parts, sophisticated chord changes, and complex rhythms and they were STILL major hits. "Sir Duke" was a #1 single. The album it is on had another #1 single and stayed at the top of the album charts for 7 weeks. And he wrote all these songs very quickly and at a young age.

By the age of 26, he'd released 18 albums. And between the years of 1971-1976, he released five albums widely regarded as masterpieces and won 12 Grammies including three albums of the year. Really as good a run of commercial, critical, and artistic success as anyone has had apart from the Beatles.

It's weird how so many musicians do their best work before 30. Must have something to do with the part of the brain it requires. Most novelists don't write anything good until they're 35.

Not to change the subject from Stevie, and I’m guessing most of you guys couldn’t give less of a shit about Taylor Swift, but I finally checked out the SNL performance everyone is talking about and yeah, it’s quite something. This one might be an all-timer.

@TS9 I'm not a fan of her compositions, really. Too many of her melodies seem to consist of two or three notes. However, I was super impressed by her Tiny Desk Concert. She's a hell of a good rhythm guitarist.

As for her albums, I did like some stuff on Folklore a lot. That one was produced by the guy from The National. It had a little more indie vibe (though it did rip off Lana Del Rey quite a bit).

Reactions: TS9
Oh, and by the way, that's my friend Max Bernstein on the lefthand side of the stage there. He's the best guitarist I've ever heard in person. He also plays with Miley Cyrus.

Reactions: TS9
This one blew my mind as well. I think what's most impressive about some of these older recordings is how talented the producers were. The producer did all the string arrangements for this. It sounds like a movie score. You don't even hear it in the full song.

The backup vocals are stunning too.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom