Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

A Ghost is Born is a classic

Of the latter period Wilco, I like Star Wars and the Whole Love best.

I don't think they've made a poor record...maybe Schmilco

YHF does have "Jesus, Etc.", which is my favorite song of theirs and a song I can listen to over and over and never get sick of.

I've always had a soft spot for "A Magazine Called Sunset," which I guess was never on a proper Wilco album but is just a nice little pop song with a couple unexpected musical elements.

The thing is that they basically did that all day. So you're seeing one of the ones that actually stuck.

Yeah that's a good point. There probably was quite a bit of garbage in those sessions, especially since most of them seem barely engaged. I'm not too deep into this yet. Kinda watching in fits and starts between other things.
They're a lot more engaged in Episode #2 and #3. In fact, they all seem to be having a ton of fun. But they still spend 60% of their time just messing around (doing covers, doing silly versions of their own songs, and so on).

Whoa, you’re right. What a change in mood and tone from Episode 1 to 2.

I've always had a soft spot for "A Magazine Called Sunset," which I guess was never on a proper Wilco album but is just a nice little pop song with a couple unexpected musical elements.

Jay Bennett wrote that, I think

Reactions: TS9

Jay Bennett wrote that, I think

As far as I can tell, it’s credited to both Tweedy and Bennett. But Greg Kot’s book makes it clear that Bennett advocated for the more melodic stuff in the YHF/Summerteeth era, so makes sense that this song would’ve been something he had a substantial hand in.

Sad that he died so young. He was living in Urbana, IL, where I lived for several years (though not at the same time).

Also, the 2009 remasters get worse each time I listen to them. But that's all there is on Spotify for any album before pre-Sgt. Pepper's. It pisses me off how Spotify does that.

My favorite Beatles songs is basically Abbey Road.
Their best full album, in my opinion.

I love The White Album though. I know it's got more filler, but it has some of my favorite songs. And I just like the scope of the project. It has practically every genre of popular music.

I love The White Album though. I know it's got more filler, but it has some of my favorite songs. And I just like the scope of the project. It has practically every genre of popular music.
Interesting. I'm not terribly familiar with the White Album as a whole, although there are plenty of familiar songs on it. My top 3 Beatles albums are Abbey Road, Revolver and Sgt Pepper's.

I don't really like their early stuff, although I understand it's importance in the rock/pop cannon.

I have a similarly narrow zone with the Stones.

Here you go. A bunch of my favorite Beatles songs. Bear in mind I was trying to give a fair representation of all the eras.

Reading through it, I thought what a great list. And it is. But then I thought, how can he leave out 'Dear Prudence', 'I've just seen a face', 'Polythene Pam', 'You've got to hide your love away' and 'We can work it out'. But the reality is, unless you leave out dozens of great songs the best 'Beatles Playlist' is really just the 'Beatles Entire Catalog'. It is harder to make a playlist of 'Beatles songs you'd rather never hear again'. That could be a manageable two dozen. Maybe.

"Dear Prudence," "Julia," "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," "And Your Bird Can Sing," and "We Can Work It Out" may be going on there at some point.

Interesting. I'm not terribly familiar with the White Album as a whole, although there are plenty of familiar songs on it. My top 3 Beatles albums are Abbey Road, Revolver and Sgt Pepper's.

I don't really like their early stuff, although I understand it's importance in the rock/pop cannon.

I have a similarly narrow zone with the Stones.
Revolver is the one I don't really like, tbh. It's too straight ahead "rock-y" for me.

The White Album has While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Sexy Sadie, I'm So Tired, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Blackbird, I Will, Julia, Dear Prudence, and Helter Skelter. Those tracks alone would make for a masterpiece of an album.

As for the early stuff, it's best just to listen to the best 1-2 songs from each album. There is a lot of not-great stuff on there. Covers, cheesy originals, bad recordings, etc.

Last edited:
I would like to add how fantastic a songwriter Harrison was with the Beatles. Like, nearly all of his songs were stone cold masterpieces.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom