Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Anyone know Raleigh well? Going to see Dead and Co on June 1st and looking for a hotel that doesn't suck that is in a fun area for restaurants/bars.

Anyone know Raleigh well? Going to see Dead and Co on June 1st and looking for a hotel that doesn't suck that is in a fun area for restaurants/bars.
Which venue? Cant really go wrong with anything in downtown. I can recommend some restaurants if you need them.

Anyone have any old equipment laying around you may want to sell off? Mics, stands, speakers, etc…?

I need these things for small performance or two. Hate to pay full retail for items i wont be using a lot and really dont want to buy used electronics from people i dont know/trust.

For some reason i trust the folks here.

Anyone have any old equipment laying around you may want to sell off? Mics, stands, speakers, etc…?

I need these things for small performance or two. Hate to pay full retail for items i wont be using a lot and really dont want to buy used electronics from people i dont know/trust.

For some reason i trust the folks here.
Sorry. Forgot about this. How would you get the gear? Would I have to ship it? Not sure that would be worth it for either of us, economically speaking. At least not for the bulkier or cheaper stuff. But here's what I have:

Sennheiser e935 Dynamic Microphone - This is a pretty solid Shure SM58 substitute. People love this thing. Check out the reviews on Sweetwater. It's $200 new, so I'd want $80 for it.

Monoprice Dynamic Instrument Microphone - This is a super cheap Shure SM57 knockoff. You can just have this for free because it only cost $30 to begin with.

Slate VMS ML-1 Virtual Microphone System - This is a condenser mic that's designed to have as flat a response as possible so you can use their modeling software with it. The problem with this one is that I'm not sure there's actually any way to transfer the software. It's also probably too pricey for your needs because it costs $500 new, and I wouldn't really want to part with it for less than $250. But it's a pretty nice studio tool.

Boom stand - I have three. I could part with one, but they'd probably cost as much to ship as the value of the stand

20' Rode XLR cable - too long for my needs

Electro Harmonix Soul Food Overdrive Pedal - $100 new. Would want $40 for it.

Korg Pitch Black Tuner - Would want $20. Think it needs to be calibrated, but there's a button on the back for that. I could even do that before I sold it.

Yamaha NS-6390 Bookshelf Speakers - solid stereo speakers. Maybe a little bright, tonally? I believe they're 90 or 100 watts each. Would want $30 for the pair, but again, they're huge.

Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic500 USB Microphone Preamplifier - $100 new. Probably want $40.

Soul Instruments Soprano Saxophone - Budget model soprano sax, in case your performance requires a Kenny G impersonation

Broughton Audio Low Pass + High Pass Filter - Amazing boutique filter pedal. I don't need it because I've got an EQ pedal that can take care of that. Great for bass players wanting to get rid of rumble. Would accept $100 for it. It's $165 new, but you have to order them from Canada so it comes out to closer to $200

M-Audio BX3 Studio Monitors - Cheap studio monitors. Would want $50 for them

That's about everything I'm sure I wouldn't regret selling. I have a dbx 286A channel strip, a Fender Blues Jr. IV amp, and some Electro Voice PA speakers that I MIGHT sell for the right price. The EV ZXA1 speakers are $600 each new, but they only seem to be selling for about $500 for a pair used. Kind of torn on whether to keep them. They're just hooked up to my Yamaha electric piano right now, so it's not like I "need" them. But otoh, if I ever do start another band they would be awesome in a practice scenario.

Last edited:
I know that's a lot, and some of it won't be relevant, but I figured I'd include everything I could think of. I'm also considering selling one bass and one guitar. I go through this constant internal tug-of-war where I feel guilty if I'm not using something but also worry that I'll regret selling it.

Wow. That’s a lot of gear. I absolutely do not want to take anything you might regret later. So just the stuff you know you won’t miss.

I’ll just drive to you. I’m only about an hour from durham. Maybe get a beer or two. We can even go shoot up some bud light if you want.

And i assume you will accept sexual favors in case i’m short on cash…?

I’ll look over everything and shoot you a pm.

Appreciate it!

My kid has become a pretty good guitarist and his Cat's Cradle School of Rock concerts are always so much fun that I joked a while back that I would like to learn to play bass behind him. For Father's Day (last Sunday since I will be out of town this coming Sunday), the family surprised me with a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass. Wish me luck. I haven't played an instrument since a trumpet in high school.

My kid has become a pretty good guitarist and his Cat's Cradle School of Rock concerts are always so much fun that I joked a while back that I would like to learn to play bass behind him. For Father's Day (last Sunday since I will be out of town this coming Sunday), the family surprised me with a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass. Wish me luck. I haven't played an instrument since a trumpet in high school.
I own four basses, but my Squier Classic Vibe '60s Precision Bass is actually my favorite, despite it being the cheapest. They're just great instruments. The jazz bass is a good choice because the neck is skinnier, which should be more comfortable for you since you're just starting out.

Reactions: aiw
Looking forward to figuring it out. glad he picked the right one for me. Skinnier neck should definitely help. Having trouble using my pinky on the fret so far.

Looking forward to figuring it out. glad he picked the right one for me. Skinnier neck should definitely help. Having trouble using my pinky on the fret so far.
Still having trouble with that after 15 years...

• Sad
Reactions: aiw
Still having trouble with that after 15 years...
I don't know why, but that's never been an issue for me.

In general, I find the right hand stuff far harder than the left hand stuff. Maybe I'm playing bass with the wrong hand. I do eat and write with my left hand, so there could be some validity in that idea. Idk. But the picking hand is both more important and more difficult than the fretting hand, imo.

Since I use both of my hands every day doing non-normal maneuvers, I hope I can find the dexterity to do this.

Death Cab for Cutie and The Postal Service are doing a tour where they're going to play Transatlanticism and Give Up in their entirety. I wish they were coming closer than DC. It's going to be hard for me to see a show that's 4-5 hours away during the school year. Looks like all the shows are in Sept and Oct.

Not to worry, all the DC area shows are sold out. I'm sure secondary market is super cheap...

I could still go to RiotFest in Chicago, but that would be even harder to swing. Madison Square Garden has tickets too, but they're absurdly expensive unless you want terrible seats.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom