Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Gonna be playing in a '90s alt-rock cover band. We'll probably do some gigs for pay at local bars. You know, because working three jobs wasn't enough for me.

Anyway, what songs should we do?

So far we've got this list:

Radiohead - High and Dry
STP - Plush
Alice in Chains - Would?
Spacehog - In the Meantime
Weezer - Say It Ain't So
The Toadies - Possum Kingdom

The ones with the fun bass lines were proposed by me, of course.

Gonna be playing in a '90s alt-rock cover band. We'll probably do some gigs for pay at local bars. You know, because working three jobs wasn't enough for me.

Radiohead - High and Dry
STP - Plush
Alice in Chains - Would?
Weezer - Say It Ain't So

Good lord, this is basically one of my old band's set lists. We did Sex Type Thing from STP, which was fun to play and a little more obscure. Other songs we played:

Nirvana- In Bloom and Where Did You Sleep Last Night (Leadbelly cover)
Mudhoney- 13th Floor
Smashing Pumpkins- Today
RHCP- Funky Monks
Soundgarden- Fell On Black Days
Tom Petty- Mary Jane
Foo Fighters- Everlong

We did a bunch more, but I can't remember them all. We used to play 3 sets and about 50 tunes. We had about 20 originals in the mix that we would stitch together with some of the covers to make it interesting.

Unrelated, I just started jamming virtually with a college friend of mine who lives in the Raleigh area. We plan on gigging at some point in the next year. We are working on The Ocean by Led Zep, which is bass heaven.

Last edited:

Radiohead - High and Dry
STP - Plush
Alice in Chains - Would?
Weezer - Say It Ain't So

Good lord, this is basically one of my old band's set lists. We did Sex Type Thing from STP, which was fun the play and a little more obscure. Other songs we played:

Mudhoney- 13th Floor
Smashing Pumpkins- Today
RHCP- Funky Monks
Tom Petty- Mary Jane
Foo Fighters- Everlong

We did a bunch more, but I can't remember them all. We used to play 3 sets and about 50 tunes. We had about 20 originals in the mix that we would stitch together with some of the covers to make it interesting.

Unrelated, I just started jamming virtually with a college friend of mine who lives in the Raleigh area. We plan on gigging at some point in the next year. We are working on The Ocean by Led Zep, which is bass heaven.
I don't listen to a lot of Led Zeppelin, but I play "Ramble On" all the time. Such a fun, cool bass line.

And yeah, if we did a Nirvana song I'd definitely want to do "In Bloom." That's my favorite off Nevermind and is probably the single I'd enjoy playing the most.

"Fell on Black Days" is a good choice for Soundgarden because the singing isn't that technically demanding. A lot of Soundgarden songs are unsingable. Could run into that issue with AiC too. "Man in the Box" is off the table because that chorus is an absolute bitch to sing.

Last edited:

Radiohead - High and Dry
STP - Plush
Alice in Chains - Would?
Weezer - Say It Ain't So

Good lord, this is basically one of my old band's set lists. We did Sex Type Thing from STP, which was fun the play and a little more obscure. Other songs we played:

Mudhoney- 13th Floor
Smashing Pumpkins- Today
RHCP- Funky Monks
Tom Petty- Mary Jane
Foo Fighters- Everlong

I don't listen to a lot of Led Zeppelin, but I play "Ramble On" all the time. Such a fun, cool bass line.

And yeah, if we did a Nirvana song I'd definitely want to do "In Bloom." That's my favorite off "In Utero" and is probably the single I'd enjoy playing the most.

"Fell on Black Days" is a good choice for Soundgarden because the singing isn't that technically demanding. A lot of Soundgarden songs are unsingable. Could run into that issue with AiC too. "Man in the Box" is off the table because that chorus is an absolute bitch to sing.
Possum Kingdom is super fun. Do y'all have 2 guitarists?

Also In Bloom is on Nevermind, which you HATE

Radiohead - High and Dry
STP - Plush
Alice in Chains - Would?
Weezer - Say It Ain't So

Mudhoney- 13th Floor
Smashing Pumpkins- Today
RHCP- Funky Monks
Tom Petty- Mary Jane
Foo Fighters- Everlong

And yeah, if we did a Nirvana song I'd definitely want to do "In Bloom." That's my favorite off "In Utero" and is probably the single I'd enjoy playing the most.

Possum Kingdom is super fun. Do y'all have 2 guitarists?

Also In Bloom is on Nevermind, which you HATE
Yes, I know. That's what I meant to type. I don't hate it, I just don't like the production. I also like "Lithium," "Lounge Act," "On a Plain," and "Drain You" (just to prove to you I know Nevermind's track list) even though I wish they all had less slick production.

Loathe "Come As You Are" and would be okay never hearing it again. Everything else is fine.

And yes, we have two guitarists. The shifting time signatures of "Possum Kingdom" are what made me attracted to it (beyond just liking the song).

Favorites from In Utero would probably all be too obscure for a bar band situation. I don't think anyone wants to hear "Milk It," "Very Ape," or "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle."

I do love "Heart Shaped Box," so I guess that's on the table. That song has the weirdest fucking bass line in the chorus. I wish it was louder in the mix. It's super dissonant and outside the box.

And yes, we have two guitarists. The shifting time signatures of "Possum Kingdom" are what made me attracted to it (beyond just liking the song).
Yeah, it's really fun to play, and the time signature makes it just different enough that you have to pay attention. The whole stalker/murderer narrative is great too.

We also played Jane's Addiction. A lot of what we played straddled the 80's-90's divide. Most people would consider RHCP and Jane's Addiction 90's bands, but they both straddled the two decades. We did The Mountain Song by Jane's, and it's great on the bass. Their bass player is really under appreciated. We did Jane Says, too. We also did Sober by Tool. We had a whole run of songs we played in drop D, so we just detuned and played them all in the same set.

It’s cliche but “Closing Time” by Semisonic would be good for a bar atmosphere. And I bet “Wonderwall” would be a good bar song that got a lot of drunks singing along.

Mountain Song is brilliant, FarmDog

Here are some suggestions:

- dollar bill, Screaming Trees
- the good in everyone, Sloan
- metal mickey, Suede
- dig for fire, Pixies
- helpless, Sugar
- feel the pain, Dinosaur Jr
- roots radicals, Rancid
- safari, Breeders
- disco 2000, Pulp
- just like anyone, Soul Asylum
- outtasite outtamind, Wilco
- sexuality - Billy Bragg
- rusty cage, soundgarden

Yeah, it's really fun to play, and the time signature makes it just different enough that you have to pay attention. The whole stalker/murderer narrative is great too.

We also played Jane's Addiction. A lot of what we played straddled the 80's-90's divide. Most people would consider RHCP and Jane's Addiction 90's bands, but they both straddled the two decades. We did The Mountain Song by Jane's, and it's great on the bass. Their bass player is really under appreciated. We did Jane Says, too. We also did Sober by Tool. We had a whole run of songs we played in drop D, so we just detuned and played them all in the same set.
If we do Tool, I'll probably request Schism. I'm in it for the fun-to-play bass lines. I don't plan to sing unless the bass line is really easy. I used to be able to sing and play somewhat intricate bass lines, but I really can't anymore. Probably lack of practice. I'm a subpar singer anyway, so it's hardly a loss.

Mountain Song is brilliant, FarmDog

Here are some suggestions:

- dollar bill, Screaming Trees
- the good in everyone, Sloan
- metal mickey, Suede
- dig for fire, Pixies
- helpless, Sugar
- feel the pain, Dinosaur Jr
- roots radicals, Rancid
- safari, Breeders
- disco 2000, Pulp
- just like anyone, Soul Asylum
- outtasite outtamind, Wilco
- sexuality - Billy Bragg
- rusty cage, soundgarden
"Rusty Cage" will probably be above our skill level. Good call on the Pixies. More of an '80s band that bridged the '90s, but that's fine. I also like that Rancid Suggestion. Love that album. I'm not even going to attempt "Maxwell Murder."

If we do Tool, I'll probably request Schism. I'm in it for the fun-to-play bass lines. I don't plan to sing unless the bass line is really easy. I used to be able to sing and play somewhat intricate bass lines, but I really can't anymore. Probably lack of practice. I'm a subpar singer anyway, so it's hardly a loss.
Sober is cool since it's bass chords.

A lot of good things already named, but Cannonball, Natural One, Plowed are all okay. Is Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World out since it's 2001?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom