Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

@rhfarmer one benefit of my pedal board is I can play along with this and have it sound right. Granted, I don't have a fretless bass. But if you play a StingRay bass with an octave pedal, some chorus, and a pick, it sounds pretty close. It's hard to be as funky as Tony Levin though.

Speaking of beastly bass players, this dude is unreal. His fingers may eventually fall off due to poor circulation from diabetes, but for now he's mind-blowing. Highly recommend any of his metal covers on The Bass Channel. He covers all of And Justice for All, which is great since the big problem with that album is that you can't hear the bass.

Anyway, here he is playing another of the greatest thrash metal songs ever written.

Last edited:
You and Farmer are our resident '80s experts. I'm a '90s kid with an increasing interest in the late '70s.

Speaking of music, a friend paid me back $50 he owed me. So of course I went straight to the record store. Scored the following vinyl for like $8 each:

Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Procol Harum - Procol Harum (the US version with "A Whiter Shade of Pale")
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water

Felt like these were all seminal albums worth owning on vinyl.

Rome, I think you should give it a listen. It's sort of a concept album about being abducted by aliens, and it's pretty unique. I think Space Age Love Song is one of the most beautiful New Wave tunes ever written, and the lead guitar has gorgeous tone. I always assumed they were from California, but they're from England.

The big hit was I Ran, but as Toronto mentioned, there's some great deep cuts on the album.

Nice score on the LPs.

Yeah, I've heard "I Ran" of course. And I know their infamous haircuts (which Weird Al mentions in his masterpiece, "Albuquerque.")

Yeah, very cool song. I want a Gibson Firebird. Paul Reynolds is playing a Firebird V in that video. I hear they're actually a pain in the ass. But they look cool and sound great.

I mean come the fuck on. Octogenarians shouldn't be capable of this. My dad is 82 and in pretty good condition for this age, but he still has to take stairs slowly and can lose focus.

They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but damn.

@rhfarmer really surprised you don't like Sting's solo career more. It's some of the strangest, most creative music to ever hit the mainstream. It actually reminds me of prog-era Genesis. It's basically jazz, prog, and pop mixed together. It's hard to believe stuff like this got made, let alone had a huge audience.

Oh, I like it just fine man. Was just outside walking my dog this morning and had Englishman in NY playing in my head. I just have a longstanding, petty resentment towards Sting for breaking up an incredible band at the peak of their powers.

And quite frankly, he does the best Hendrix cover of all time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom