Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

A lot of good things already named, but Cannonball, Natural One, Plowed are all okay. Is Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World out since it's 2001?
Maybe we could do something off of Clarity? "Lucky Denver Mint"? May not be popular enough.

"Cannonball" could definitely be fun. We want to add a female singer to do a few songs. Thinking we could do "Zombie" and "Lovefool." The latter is surprisingly intricate and fun to play.

Oh man. I feel like

Sex and Candy
Brain Stew
Flagpole Sitta
Shine (Collective Soul)

would all be fun.

Mr Jones?
Your Woman?
Something by the Offspring?

Santeria, Semi-Charmed Life, No Rain, and My Own Worst Enemy would be popular but more poppy.

You should play that awful Crash Test Dummies song just to troll people.w

Oh man. I feel like

Sex and Candy
Brain Stew
Flagpole Sitta
Shine (Collective Soul)

would all be fun.

Mr Jones?
Your Woman?
Something by the Offspring?

Santeria, Semi-Charmed Life, No Rain, and My Own Worst Enemy would be popular but more poppy.

You should play that awful Crash Test Dummies song just to troll people.w
Funnily enough, I just ordered the White Town CD that "Your Woman" is on. I didn't realize until recently that White Town is just one dude. I follow his YT channel. He's kind of ended up back in obscurity. He's really cool in his interactions with his fans. Most of his other songs I've heard are good too.

Green Day is definitely a must.

Just play it like this and you'll retain your 90s alternative cred:

(I actually think the verses in that one sound unironically great.)

Just play it like this and you'll retain your 90s alternative cred:

(I actually think the verses in that one sound unironically great.)

I love this guy. I especially like it when he does the music himself instead of auto-tuning the original singer. Just beautiful.

I know @rhfarmer and I have disagreed about this before, but I just can't get into the production aesthetics of the 1980s. I feel like so many bands that were awesome in the '70s did their worst shit in the '80s. I say this because I've been on an Alan Parsons Project again. Everything up through and including Eye in the Sky in 1982 is awesome. But Ammonia Avenue in 1984 is so cringe, and it's guilty of all the excesses of the 1980s.

I know some people feel nostalgia for the drenched-in-reverb, synth-heavy, saxophone-solo-heavy sound of that era, but for me it just doesn't hold up. I prefer the drier approach of the '70s and '90s. This shift toward extreme cheesiness hardly applies to only APP either. You see it in musicians like Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello, Leonard Cohen, Rush, Yes, etc.

Obviously, there was great underground music in the '80s. There is in every era. There is even a ton of pop music that holds up (unlike the 2010s, the absolute nadir of pop). It's just the overall aesthetic of the era I don't like.

I don't think we disagree on that at all. I think certain genres in the 80s (basically parts of what is called "new wave") sound great due to their embrace of technology, but I would much rather listen to a drum stick hit a drum head then listen to a processed drum signal that turns drums into something else entirely. Synths can be super cheesy. The Psychedelic Furs are a great example. Richard Butler had a classic punk snarl, and their early songs were raw and raunchy. They ended up sounding like Simply Red.

We have disagreed on the production of Nevermind, but I think my top 5 or 6 favorite albums are right in there with yours in terms of how they sound.

One exception I will make about 80s production is Peter Gabriel. He was always inventive and his sound changed dramatically between "Security" and "So" but I think they both sound incredible. "So" was considered a massive sell out to many die hard PG fans, but IMO it sounds great. The synthetic flute sound that open "Sledgehammer" is gorgeous IMO.

I don't think we disagree on that at all. I think certain genres in the 80s (basically parts of what is called "new wave") sound great due to their embrace of technology, but I would much rather listen to a drum stick hit a drum head then listen to a processed drum signal that turns drums into something else entirely. Synths can be super cheesy. The Psychedelic Furs are a great example. Richard Butler had a classic punk snarl, and their early songs were raw and raunchy. They ended up sounding like Simply Red.

We have disagreed on the production of Nevermind, but I think my top 5 or 6 favorite albums are right in there with yours in terms of how they sound.

One exception I will make about 80s production is Peter Gabriel. He was always inventive and his sound changed dramatically between "Security" and "So" but I think they both sound incredible. "So" was considered a massive sell out to many die hard PG fans, but IMO it sounds great. The synthetic flute sound that open "Sledgehammer" is gorgeous IMO.
I love So, although elements in it are definitely of its time.

Here's one pop band that seems to have avoided a lot of the pitfalls of the '80s. I think the production on this still sounds insanely good today. Naturally, it was released closer to the '70s than the mid-'80s (1981). 1983-1984 seems to be when production got really bad.

I actually wish the song "Pulling Mussels" had better production. It was released a year before "Tempted," so I don't know if they got a massive production upgrade. But it kind of sounds like a band playing in their garage, and imo, it deserves better.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom