Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music

Squeeze were considered New Wave during their initial release, when they were also called UK Squeeze. Songs like "Take Me I'm Yours" were put on New Wave compilations and sent to US college radio stations. I think Squeeze (Difford and Tilbrook) are great songwriters and very lyrically clever.

Squeeze were considered New Wave during their initial release, when they were also called UK Squeeze. Songs like "Take Me I'm Yours" were put on New Wave compilations and sent to US college radio stations. I think Squeeze (Difford and Tilbrook) are great songwriters and very lyrically clever.
Some of their chord progressions are super sophisticated. Both of the songs I mentioned qualify (especially "Pulling Mussels").

Some of their chord progressions are super sophisticated. Both of the songs I mentioned qualify (especially "Pulling Mussels").
Tempted always felt like a nod to Motown to me, love that song. When I was in college, there was always a Squeeze mix tape circulating.

I just looked on Wikipedia, and apparently Paul Carrack played keys and sang lead on Tempted. He ended up having a pretty huge solo career.

Tempted always felt like a nod to Motown to me, love that song. When I was in college, there was always a Squeeze mix tape circulating.

I just looked on Wikipedia, and apparently Paul Carrack played keys and sang lead on Tempted. He ended up having a pretty huge solo career.
Yep. If I recall correctly, it was Elvis Costello who suggested that. I don't know if you've ever watched Professor of Rock, but he's a treasure trove of Gen X nostalgia. I heard that detail in his video about "Tempted." He also has a lot of great interviews with musicians.

Jesus Christ, so apparently Tempted was produced by Elvis Costello AND it has a structure either directly lifted from or inspired by the Temptations.

This is one of my all time favorite songs to this day. I always thought it was like a short, British, new wave version of 'Tangled up in Blue'. Singles was right there with Decade, Beatles Red and Blue and Hot Rocks as bulletproof vinyl compilations from my youth.

Not sure I ever loved 'Pulling Mussels', but it's one of those super strong psychological triggers of my life. Instantly makes me think of the first girl I ever slept with - she loved it but sang it 'for Michelle' rather than 'from a shell'. That shit gets more intense as you age.

This is one of my all time favorite songs to this day. I always thought it was like a short, British, new wave version of 'Tangled up in Blue'. Singles was right there with Decade, Beatles Red and Blue and Hot Rocks as bulletproof vinyl compilations from my youth.

Not sure I ever loved 'Pulling Mussels', but it's one of those super strong psychological triggers of my life. Instantly makes me think of the first girl I ever slept with - she loved it but sang it 'for Michelle' rather than 'from a shell'. That shit gets more intense as you age.

Forgot to mention this one. The whole song is great, but the bridge is mindblowing.

And yeah, I have Singles on vinyl. Busted it out last night, which is what inspired my original post.

Since Costello has also entered the room, this is another top-20 songs I love all-time. It always struck me as very similar to 'Up the Junction' - short, single bridge, non-stop lyrics - though much more 'meandering'.

Apparently he is playing at DPAC in 10 days. May have to attend.

Yeah, I love that one.

I have strange tastes when it comes to Costello. I tend to prefer his ballads to his rock songs. This includes some songs people consider cheesy.

I think my favorites are:

Alison
So Like Candy (cowritten with Paul McCartney)
All This Useless Beauty
Everyday I Write the Book
Indoor Fireworks
I Want You
Brilliant Mistake
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Shipbuilding
Good Year for the Roses

Songs like "Pump It Up" don't do anything for me. In fact, I find them kind of annoying. If I had to pick a top three, it would be "So Like Candy," "Alison," and "Everyday I Write the Book."

Yeah, I love that one.

I have strange tastes when it comes to Costello. I tend to prefer his ballads to his rock songs. This includes some songs people consider cheesy.

I think my favorites are:

Alison
So Like Candy (cowritten with Paul McCartney)
All This Useless Beauty
Everyday I Write the Book
Indoor Fireworks
I Want You
Brilliant Mistake
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Shipbuilding
Good Year for the Roses

Songs like "Pump It Up" don't do anything for me. In fact, I find them kind of annoying. If I had to pick a top three, it would be "So Like Candy," "Alison," and "Everyday I Write the Book."

Shipbuilding. That's a heavy one

Every time I listen to Mitski's latest album, I like it more. That's been the case with all her albums, to be fair.

Things I like about it:

1) Relatable but non-cliche lyrics
2) Unique and surprising production choices
3) Dynamics. I can't remember the last time I heard a rock album this dynamic. Everything is at one volume these days
4) Strong melodies

I freaking love that song. So good.

And somehow I completely forgot about that Failure album. I have a Fantastic Planet cd somewhere around here.

Failure rules. They're still putting out amazing albums to this day.

I mostly hate the post-grunge era, tbh. At least the stuff that was on MTV and the radio. Plenty of great indie music still.

Failure rules. They're still putting out amazing albums to this day.

I mostly hate the post-grunge era, tbh.
I love the rock that came out of that era because that was my personal coming-of-age time, but yeah, pop taking back the end of the 90s was awful. And the early 2000s produced a lot of bad music as well.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom