Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA Draft Discussion

Expecting to lose at least one of Flip/Lively. Is Dariq a foregone conclusion to bail as well?

Would love to have Flip back but its hard to argue he should stay if he has a strong chance of getting picked in the first round. Mitchell and Proctor are almost perfect in that they're productive freshmen with a ton of room to grow and no (or little) buzz about being first round pick. If we bring them both back I'm thrilled.

Based on my intel, Flip is as likely to come back as Mitchell or Proctor. I have no idea what Proctor's mentality was when entering college, but Flip entered with the intention to play multiple years while Mitchell entered with the intention to be OAD. Now the reality of their draft stock could drive either of them in a different direction, but it does seem like both are leaning toward staying, atm.

If all 3 stay I think there is probably a chance one of our recruits will decide to go elsewhere.

Which is not a bad problem to have, the chances that any of the freshmen coming in would be better than a sophomore Flip, Mitchell and Proctor is very low, and I'm not sure having had the experience of through the wars in the ACC and the NCAAT is quantifiable.

I would think Mgbako or Power would be the most likely to decommit in that scenario. Foster is presumably fine with playing with Proctor. That was the original plan until Proctor reclassed. Stewart can play the 4 or the 5.

But Powers is not really a OAD, right, so he might be willing to play less minutes for one season provided he's not recruited over in his 2nd year.
Mgbako would be a different story, he's definitely OAD, and might not like the fact he's got 2 Soph returnees playing at his PF/SF position.

But Powers is not really a OAD, right, so he might be willing to play less minutes for one season provided he's not recruited over in his 2nd year.
Mgbako would be a different story, he's definitely OAD, and might not like the fact he's got 2 Soph returnees playing at his PF/SF position.
Yes, but he might not like the possibility of playing 10 total minutes his first season. Mitchell returning takes him from the 2nd string forward to 3rd string. I agree that it would impact and possibly bother Mgbako more, though.

If all 3 stay I think there is probably a chance one of our recruits will decide to go elsewhere.

Which is not a bad problem to have, the chances that any of the freshmen coming in would be better than a sophomore Flip, Mitchell and Proctor is very low, and I'm not sure having had the experience of through the wars in the ACC and the NCAAT is quantifiable.
Or Schutt

Or Schutt
Not sure that those guys returning have any impact on Schutt though. I think if he's still willing to return after this year, he won't care what the roster looks like next year. Reality may set in AFTER next season (or by Christmas break).

I would think Mgbako or Power would be the most likely to decommit in that scenario. Foster is presumably fine with playing with Proctor. That was the original plan until Proctor reclassed. Stewart can play the 4 or the 5.

Tough for me to see a decommit happening with either of those guys for different reasons. Mgbako will still get 25+ minutes at the forward spots, and has dreamed of committing to Duke since like 9th grade. He committed pretty darn early. With Power, I know less about his fandom, but he's friends with Flip and it always seemed like part of their messaging when TJ committed was looking forward to playing together.

That's kind of the thing about Scheyer's second class:

1)They all committed early. Everyone but TJ has been committed for a year now, right?
2) They're just about all kids that have dreamed about Duke for a long long time (like Caleb Foster rooting for the '15 team as a kid; Sean Stewart's been a hardcore Duke fan since being a kid, too).
3) They're mostly not looking like serious OAD candidates (although the 24 draft may be weak enough to change that).
4) A couple of these guys (at least Mgbako and McCain) are known for their work ethic, even if they're below-average athletes in an explosiveness sense.

Even though this first class has obviously done a lot of good things for the transition, and the defense, it does kind of seem like the next group can really be the one that sets the "culture" for Scheyer's program.

Not even remotely convinced Mgbako would be guaranteed 25 minutes, given how absolutely atrocious he's looked for the last year of high school, and how good Mitchell will likely be. And regardless of his Duke fandom, I doubt he's thrilled about a dude coming back who will play 30 minutes at one of the positions he could play. Besides, in this scenario, Flip is back and Stewart exists (as well as Power and Reeves). Where are the 25 minutes coming from? That would require Flip playing major minutes at center, something that has happened roughly 1% of the time this year.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but, yeah, I've assumed the whole time that Flip's minutes will come at center next year. Mack/Mitchell/Flip up front. I think the roster make-up is just different enough with Lively leaving to shift Flip/Mitchell to their more natural positions.

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom