Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA Draft Discussion

The point wasn't to compare it to Mark's. I agree that it's good to have arc, but I don't think that expression meant "make sure the ball drops from a 70 degree angle 20 feet above the basket." I'm exaggerating, of course, but you can see how the physics of a moonball also make shooting more difficult.

Foster has had some terrible wild misses, so I think the "consistency" thing is overstated. Not using your guide hand can result in the ball going way to the left or right as it comes off your hand, and I think we've seen that in his worst bricks.

That's why the guys rushing to get to the draft who aren't lottery picks are being stupid. You only have 1-2 years to make that good first impression, it's better to do it when you are 23-24., than to do it at 19-20.

^^^ That just led me to discover that Trevon Duval is playing in the Turkish league and is already 25 years old. His NBA career was over before it ever had a chance to begin.

I've got no proof but I feel like if he had stayed for a few years and entered as a more well-rounded junior, he could have at least played a few seasons as a backup.

The Hoss is another guy who fits that bill, although he was obviously great in college. I’m still shocked at how fast he washed out.
The Hoss was a victim of mis-scouting, imo. He was labeled as an Okafor type despite having much more defensive mobility and shooting potential.

So much of this is due to a disconnect between the GM and the coach. The coach wants players to play a certain way, and the GM may not have the same priorities.

Coach K didn't do his draft stock any favors by 1) not encouraging him to take more threes; 2) only playing him 25 mpg. Had he played 32 minutes, the increase in his counting stats alone probably bumps him into the 1st round.

Obviously, it's unlikely that his production would have increased linearly. But his per 32 stats are 23 pts and 11 reb. A freshman with those kind of counting stats likely gets lotto consideration even if he's (falsely) seen as a big stiff.

Carey is what he is. In 187 NBA minutes he blocked 8 shots, and shot 1 of 7 on threes. He's not Draymond defensively, and he's not a playmaker. One of his draft comps on the Ringer was Jared Sullinger, and that's probably a better comp than Okafor, but it just seems there's not much of a market for players of that mold, including Sullinger, and Jabari Parker.

Carey is what he is. In 187 NBA minutes he blocked 8 shots, and shot 1 of 7 on threes. He's not Draymond defensively, and he's not a playmaker. One of his draft comps on the Ringer was Jared Sullinger, and that's probably a better comp than Okafor, but it just seems there's not much of a market for players of that mold, including Sullinger, and Jabari Parker.
Yeah, because a team's investment in a player doesn't matter at all. Everyone achieves their ideal outcome in shitty circumstances surrounded by people who don't care if they succeed.

Am I really trippin for thinking pro Carey is like a slightly taller Jabari? There's obviously not a lot of evidence to go on, but I swear his pro offensive moves look like he studied Parker tape. And I think there's probably some similarities in the way both handle PNR defense / switching that explains why neither is in the league right now.

I've been thinking about Brandon Miller vs. Scoot Henderson, and I'm pissed at myself for going against my own scouting rules. I fell victim to the Scoot hype despite the fact that he can't fucking shoot. Almost every time I've been right about a draft pick it's because: 1) they have great positional size; 2) they were wildly efficient at lower levels. Now obviously, there are different ways to be efficient. But if you're not getting to the rim like Zion, you'd better be able to shoot. Miller as a 6'9" dude with a great frame who shot 38% from three on 7.5 attempts almost seems stupidly obvious in hindsight.

Wow, Reed Sheppard to #2 overall on O'Connor's big board. Filipowski at #18, and that still seems high, given what he has been showing lately in terms of his mental makeup and overall upside. I don't think Filipowski going pro is as much a lock as most people believe. He could very well fall out of the 1st round in this terrible draft, as his NBA potential appears to be extremely limited. I also don't think he would stay at Duke if he's going to stay in college - I could see him transferring to UNC.

I haven't watched any BC games since the last one we played against them last year (missed this years), but damn, Quinten Post looked like an NBA big yesterday. Miami's not good, but I hadn't really appreciated his wingspan before. I agree with Givony on this one. Should be picked in the 31-45 range, IMO.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom