Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA

rome8180 said:
Irving had 28 and 7 as the Cavs beat the Bulls.

Too bad Rose made him look silly on one drive to the basket. That will be replayed often until the season starts.

The media is still in the midst of their Rose love affair.

I didn't watch the game. Presumably Rose was guarding Irving when he dropped nearly 30 on 50%+ shooting?

rome8180 said:
The media is still in the midst of their Rose love affair.

I didn't watch the game. Presumably Rose was guarding Irving when he dropped nearly 30 on 50%+ shooting?

There was one great stretch of Kyrie dominance that came right after Rose checked out, against a hapless Aaron Brooks, which fueled the Rose fire a little bit.

Congrats to the Sixers on their huge, terrible lineup next season.

Michael Carter-Williams
KJ McDaniels
Nerlens Noel
Joel Embiid
Jahlil Okafor

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted Pistons update: Singler had a good game, but just holding the spot warm for Pope and Meeks when they are healthy. Dinwiddie looks like a legit prospect at PG. Van Gundy continues to use the 3 bigs well, i.e., not all at the same time. Dinwiddie, Pope and Drummond can be franchise pieces to build around. Getting Stanley Johnson or Kelly Oubre in the draft should be the primary goal this season.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Unwanted Pistons update: Singler had a good game, but just holding the spot warm for Pope and Meeks when they are healthy. Dinwiddie looks like a legit prospect at PG. Van Gundy continues to use the 3 bigs well, i.e., not all at the same time. Dinwiddie, Pope and Drummond can be franchise pieces to build around. Getting Stanley Johnson or Kelly Oubre in the draft should be the primary goal this season.

Kyle Singler will be an unrestricted free agent after this season. I know it's arbitrary, but I really think that if he could get his three-point percentage up from .382 to .400 or over (at his volume, that's like 5 more made threes on the year out of his 250 attempts), he'll get a nice deal this summer. He's a solid defender who can cover 2 guards and some power forwards, and he has good size for playing on the perimeter, but the ability to become a "good" NBA three-point shooter (not that 38% is terrible) could increase his value even more.

So I guess there's a Grantland NBA show on ESPN now? And it's awesome? This is the first I've heard of this (but I don't really watch TV except online).

And I guess Bill and Jalen have discontinued their NBA previews as a result?

If they keep having people like Jeff Van Gundy and Zach Lowe as guests, it will continue to be good, yes. Can't imagine it will get good ratings, since most people don't enjoy the stuff those types of people say or write, but it is good for us.

Even reasonably intelligent people don't appreciate Zach Lowe. A Facebook friend with whom I've had many good sports-related discussions recently said that he didn't think Lowe was anything special, though admittedly he'd only seen his on-camera work and not read his writing.

(Of course this friend is also a UNC fan, and therefore anti-stats. I think it has something to do with cult of Roy, or maybe it's just that UNC fans fancy themselves as populists, and stats are sort of elitist by nature.)

The most impressive stuff Lowe does isn't even related to analytics. He breaks down plays certain teams and players run frequently, frame by frame. This is like anti-analytics. He's looking at the game from a micro level when he breaks down plays, in addition to a macro level when he cites all the numbers people hate.

Yeah, I see what you mean. But I think it's still not going to appeal to people who are fundamentally not detail-oriented.

His favorite basketball pundit is Jay Bilas, to give you an idea. Bilas isn't much more analytical than Fraschilla or Vitale or whoever you want to name. He just has a better vocabulary and uses a more condescending, strident tone, so he sound smarter.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
The most impressive stuff Lowe does isn't even related to analytics. He breaks down plays certain teams and players run frequently, frame by frame. This is like anti-analytics. He's looking at the game from a micro level when he breaks down plays, in addition to a macro level when he cites all the numbers people hate.

Agreed. It's like the eye-test conducted by someone who has good eyes and whose eyes are connected to a brain that actually understands basketball.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom