Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NFL

You act as if team's regular have home run drafts like the Saints just had. That's a freaking rare occurrence.

And the position at which one picks in the first round has a shit ton to do with finding top NFL talent. Late first round (where Gettleman drafted) is not typically your roster changing picks. Hurney sucked so bad that he had the benefit of early first round picks.

1st round picks need to play better than replacement level players though. They don't all have to be pro-bowl or all-pro, but they need to be guys you expect to last longer than their rookie contract, and probably top 10-15 at their position in the league one day, save QBs. Certainly a starter one day.

FWIW Profootballfocus has Shaq as the 34th best LB (i.e replacement level), Butler as the 77th DL (replacement level to bench player), and, well, we know the story with Fatjamin

The problem was the 3 brutal drafts from 2014-2016.

Gettleman drafted players on the roster, from 2014-2016 drafts, ranked:

Turner (really good value)
WIlliams (really good value)
Funchess (average value)
Shaq (below average value)
Worley (good value)
Bradberry (average value)
Vernon Butler (poor value)
David Mayo (above average value)
Cameron-Artis Payne (average value)

3 players that have just good value or more, basically an average of 1 per draft. None of them being the first round picks (or 2nd), of which only two are still on the team. No fantastic-value players like KK Short since that first draft. You lose a lot of ground to teams that are bring in even one fantastic-value players in that span, let alone 2 or 3 like some teams.

Yes. You lose ground to teams with better draft position and stashed draft picks from tanking/rebuilding. That's kinda the design of the draft.

That's not even counting the bums who aren't even on the team anymore. Nearly everyone from that shitshow of a draft in 2014 is already gone.

We are in dire need of talent in the secondary and at the skill positions on offense. Cam has never even had an NFL average receiving corps in his career. 2013 and 2015 were probably closest to it, which says more about how bad the talent has been in the other years than anything else.

Yes. You lose ground to team's with better draft position and stashed draft picks from tanking/rebuilding. That's kinda the design of the draft.

You're acting like this is the NBA where there's a huge disparity between the top half of the first round and the back half. There's really not. In the NFL 1st round picks regardless of where they fall are enormously valuable assets. That's why the majority of starters in this league, including our team, are 1st and 2nd round players. It certainly doesn't explain why the better of Gettleman's players have been the non-first round picks.

I'm not saying we need top 10 picks, like the kind you'd expect to get perennial pro-bowlers with. Just give me players that at least play above average at their fucking position.

I won't even delve into horrible free agency signings like Kalil junior and Russell Shephard.

Last edited:
I seriously can't believe anyone would defend Benjamin-Shaq-Butler as an acceptable haul from three first round picks.

Shaq was acceptable. Benjamin and Butler are both worthless assholes. Amazing that we managed to extort a 3rd and a 7th from the Bills for the former.

Shaq was acceptable. Benjamin and Butler are both worthless assholes. Amazing that we managed to extort a 3rd and a 7th from the Bills for the former.

I'm talking about collectively, as a haul. If a GM traded three first round picks for the group of Benjamin/Shaq/Butler, they'd be fired the next day.

Butler was a wasted pick. We got value out of Kelvin (basically a 2nd rounder) and needed a WR with the pick. I don't think we've used Shaq correctly.

Last edited:
As bad as Hurney was overall, his three furthest back drafted 1st round picks, Gamble/Beason/D-Lo, all taken mid to late 20s, are a much, much MUCH better trio than Benjamin/Shaq/Butler.

I'm talking about collectively, as a haul. If a GM traded three first round picks for the group of Benjamin/Shaq/Butler, they'd be fired the next day.

I agree. Someday I should look at the full drafts and see who we could have had instead for each of the early round picks. I get that hindsight is 20/20, but there were a lot more misses than hits in the draft post-2013.

Typical parasitic assholes looking out for each other. Plan was to continue milking Richardson and keep cashing them checks while coasting along at their jobs doing just enough not to get fired. Hope the new owner doesn't put up with that.

Rumor is if Steve Wilks gets a job, the Panthers will bring on Dave Shula to replace him as DC even though he's an offensive coach.

THIS IS PART OF THE GODDAMN PROBLEM. How can you expect to run a functional offense when your receivers can't get any goddamn bit of separation, and your power RB is lucky to get more than 2 yards a carry? Gettleman's enormous failure to acquire skill position talent kneecapped the last two seasons.

No surprise that the AFC South has been the best division in the playoffs. That division is stacked every year.

That's not even counting the bums who aren't even on the team anymore. Nearly everyone from that shitshow of a draft in 2014 is already gone.

We are in dire need of talent in the secondary and at the skill positions on offense. Cam has never even had an NFL average receiving corps in his career. 2013 and 2015 were probably closest to it, which says more about how bad the talent has been in the other years than anything else.

We need upgrades on the OL also. Matt K. Is trash. The Byrd and Samuel injuries were killers so we aren't that far off at WR, I still don't think Funchess is a #1, that ball that Cam threw to him that could have won the game landed right DAMM beside him! I hope whoever the new owner is willing to spend money!

ETA: We lost the division by losing to the Bears and not the last game of the regular season.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom