Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Paolo Banchero

He made consistently great decisions with the ball all tournament,
Not to shit on him, because he was great and he and Keels almost got it done for us, but he made 1 really bad decision. Obviously, it was not "with the ball" as you mean, but it cost a lot.
I honestly thought that was just really bad luck. When Battier made that amazing block and threw it back inbounds, it was an incredible play. Paolo's simply panned out terribly for us. That's the way the whole night went.

Had butterfingers when it came to rebounding all season long. It bit them in the ass tonight.

He made consistently great decisions with the ball all tournament,
Not to shit on him, because he was great and he and Keels almost got it done for us, but he made 1 really bad decision. Obviously, it was not "with the ball" as you mean, but it cost a lot.
I honestly thought that was just really bad luck. When Battier made that amazing block and threw it back inbounds, it was an incredible play. Paolo's simply panned out terribly for us. That's the way the whole night went.
Battier tossed it all the way back past the 3 point line, though.

Yeah, you can’t save that right back under the opponent’s rim. That’s like Day 1 junior high basketball stuff. I get trying to make a play, but that was an awful decision at the worst time.

I just think it's one of those things where if Keels had happened to be standing there and grabbed the ball no one would have questioned it. I always thought that logic was overrated.

Paolo is one of my favorite one and dones because he had a really enjoyable career arc. He was frustrating a lot during the regular season, but he got a lot better and in the NCAAT he basically cut out all of his frustrating tendencies. He essentially cut out the over-dribble mid-range jumper, he started finishing well inside, he replaced those mid-range jumpers with 3's, and he improved defensively. Playing the style of basketball he did in the NCAAT, IMO he should be the #1 pick and will have a long NBA career with a bunch of All-Star selections.

Reactions: aiw
Yes, it was the one play that perfectly illustrates exactly why you’re taught at the earliest of organized ball not to do that. I’m not going to hate a guy for hustling, but bad shit happens when you make a boneheaded decision like that. It resulted in Mark’s 4th foul, too, I think.

AJ - probably 8th right now, but with a chance to rise higher down the stretch. I love watching him when he’s at his best, but he’s had too many games as a non-factor to displace the top 7.

Paolo - 13th. Plays solid D and rebounds, but I don’t enjoy his offensive game much.

Keels - 18th. Ahead of the enormous busts, thats it.

Steward - 23rd. Frank Jackson 2.0, but at least the former made the tournament.

where we now?

AJ - probably 8th right now, but with a chance to rise higher down the stretch. I love watching him when he’s at his best, but he’s had too many games as a non-factor to displace the top 7.

Paolo - 13th. Plays solid D and rebounds, but I don’t enjoy his offensive game much.

where we now?

1. Zion - King.
2. Tyus - Stones.
3. Winslow - We don't win the title without his lockdown D and 40% 3 pt shooting. Came up huge especially in the Houston regional.
4. Paolo - ⬆⬆⬆Had a rollercoaster regular season, but a monster NCAAT, earning himself a spot in the pantheon of Duke OADs.
5. Irving - Only getting 11 games out of him will always anger me. Ranked this high due to how elite he was pre-injury.
6. Bagley - I know his defense was awful and his fit questionable, but I enjoyed him a lot. He could rack up those 30 point, 20 rebound statlines.
7. Ingram - He and the 2016 team were fun. No real complaints.
8. Carter - Anchor on the inside. If only he hadn't choked that layup against Kansas.
9. Tatum - Fun player, but his team decidedly wasn't.
10. Carey - THE BIG HOSS!
11. Rivers - The Shot
12. Barrett - Disappointment relative to expectations, but he did have some monster games.
13. Stanley - I enjoyed his ridiculous athleticism.
14. Okafor - Was never a fan of Oakball, though this might be a bit low for him.
15. Parker - He played no defense and 2014 was a disgusting mess, so I don't have many good memories.
16. Trent Jr. - Great shooter who was the missing piece from the 2019 team.
17. Keels (assuming he’s gone) - Made some big threes in the NCAAT and showed guts, though he was a frustrating player at times.
18. AJ - ⬇⬇⬇This may be unfairly low for him as he did have some great games, but he had far too many no-shows, including against UNC where his shooting was desperately needed.
19. Reddish - I was expecting a 38-40% 3 point shooter who could dribble the basketball. Those 3s against FSU and UCF were memorable at least.
20. Duval - Mistake prone player who couldn't shoot, part of the clusterfuck the PG position has been in the non-Jones seasons.
21. Giles - Destroyed by injuries, shame. Always played hard and seemed like a good guy, but one of our least impactful OADs.
22. Frank Jackson - I still forget he played for Duke sometimes.
23. Steward - Frank Jackson 2.0, but at least the former made the tournament.
24. Jalen - Trash.

where we now?

1. Zion - King.
2. Tyus - Stones.
3. Winslow - We don't win the title without his lockdown D and 40% 3 pt shooting. Came up huge especially in the Houston regional.
4. Paolo - ⬆⬆⬆Had a rollercoaster regular season, but a monster NCAAT, earning himself a spot in the pantheon of Duke OADs.
5. Irving - Only getting 11 games out of him will always anger me. Ranked this high due to how elite he was pre-injury.
6. Bagley - I know his defense was awful and his fit questionable, but I enjoyed him a lot. He could rack up those 30 point, 20 rebound statlines.
8. Carter - Anchor on the inside. If only he hadn't choked that layup against Kansas.
11. Rivers - The Shot
12. Barrett - Disappointment relative to expectations, but he did have some monster games.
14. Okafor - Was never a fan of Oakball, though this might be a bit low for him.
15. Parker - He played no defense and 2014 was a disgusting mess, so I don't have many good memories.
17. Keels (assuming he’s gone) - Made some big threes in the NCAAT and showed guts, though he was a frustrating player at times.
18. AJ - ⬇⬇⬇This may be unfairly low for him as he did have some great games, but he had far too many no-shows, including against UNC where his shooting was desperately needed.
19. Reddish - I was expecting a 38-40% 3 point shooter who could dribble the basketball. Those 3s against FSU and UCF were memorable at least.
20. Duval - Mistake prone player who couldn't shoot, part of the clusterfuck the PG position has been in the non-Jones seasons.
21. Giles - Destroyed by injuries, shame. Always played hard and seemed like a good guy, but one of our least impactful OADs.
24. Jalen - Trash.
Where do you put Magette and Deng

I think the two that hurt the most to leave were Vernon and Trent. Trent obviously is panning out now but his departure at the time wasn’t a great decision. Vernon was as good as you could hope for from a freshman undersized center (but good sized in college hoops). Basically a better version of Bacot now.

Yes, it was the one play that perfectly illustrates exactly why you’re taught at the earliest of organized ball not to do that. I’m not going to hate a guy for hustling, but bad shit happens when you make a boneheaded decision like that. It resulted in Mark’s 4th foul, too, I think.
That was a bad decision and very unlikely. His TO at the end of the first half was worse. Drove into a fully set NC defense on a fast break with an easy turnover and UNC bucket. Could’ve held for a 2 for 1

Banchero is #1 on The Ringer’s big board now.

Best situations for him among the tanking teams appear to be Rockets and Pistons. I would put them in that order, because eliminating all turnaround, fadeaway, off the dribble, contested midrange from his game is more important than anything else. The Rockets will do that, and maybe that is the only good thing they’ll do for him, but that’s enough before he moves on to the Knicks or Lakers after his rookie deal.

Cade Cunningham would make him better. Two hypercompetitive, non-elite athletes who rely on craftiness and all-around skill growing together. He can model his defensive intensity and desire to improve after Cunningham, and he’ll get a bunch of wide open looks every game.

Thunder are so far away from having a title enabling core to go forward with. SGA probably gets traded for more picks within a year or two, as he’s 4 years older than Giddey and Banchero, who are largely redundant to each other. And I don’t think his charisma will be utilized anywhere close to its potential out of OKC.

The Magic are simply a weird fit, a franchise still trying to figure out who will be on their roster in 5 years. I do think Banchero would pair well with Carter, but not with Bamba, Wagner and Isaac also there.

Ideally, Rockets get Banchero, Magic get Smith, Thunder get Holmgren, Pistons get jumped in the order and get Sharpe, IMO.

where we now?

1. Zion - King.
2. Tyus - Stones.
11. Rivers - The Shot
24. Jalen - Trash.
Where do you put Magette and Deng

Deng around 6, Magette 8-9

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil