Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

I've lost interest since concluding in my mind that Trump is not trying to win the election. Everything he is doing seems rational to me now, for a guy who is really not trying to win the election, so it is no longer fascinating.

The fascinating thing will be how far he can push it. Some intrepid psychologist needs to perform a sophisticated analysis showing what levels of acceptance of falsehood/hatred of others are present in various segments of the country's population. X axis could range from 'clearly unlikely' to 'a 5-year old knows this can't be true' and/or 'I'd prefer not to participate in pooled risk healthcare' to 'I tend to kill people whose accent isn't local', with the Y showing % agreeing/succumbing.

I figure he still has some room left to run. To wit, he hasn't suggested outright that one must own property to vote, his acceptance of the holocaust seems complete, and his personal retinue to bodyguards seems modest.

I agree he has no intention of winning, but as a grand sociological experiment, his continued 'candidacy' is riveting IMO.

I am telling you guys that this whole thing would make an amazing political satire screenplay. Sort of a Wag the Dog meets Bulworth meets Manchurian Candidate meets Idiocracy thing.

Consider what a lucky break this is for the Dems. Clinton is just about the worst candidate they could have put forth, and if the GOP had managed anything correctly in the last 2 years, they would be looking at the oval office, both chambers and putting up 3-4 justices on the supreme court.

Now they get blown out in the general, lose the senate, and basically have Trump stealing their base to start his own cult of personality.

Justice Department phasing out use of private prisons. More important than anything Trump is doing or saying.

I am an outsider on this, but I think that is good news for the USA. Private prisons creates a 'prisoners as capital' system with pressure on government to dole out lengthy sentences for minor crimes. Previous Ontario Governments have tried to implement that system and failed (fortunately).

rome8180 said:
Justice Department phasing out use of private prisons. More important than anything Trump is doing or saying.

Nice 35% dive on prison stocks yesterday. Hopefully they'll all file for bankruptcy soon, and good riddance to them all.

Profit-driven incarceration/punishment was ever a very slippery slope. Think about having a real life Gordon Gekko deciding what all of your living conditions will be, 24 hours a day, for years.

In other news, Trump's shiny newness has dulled to the point that I didn't even know he was back in NC yesterday. I'll bet 90% of the people there were the same cult followers I saw in Wilmington a couple of weeks ago.

We know he hired extras to appear as "supporters" when he first announced his candidacy. I wonder if this freak show entourage of supporters that follows him around the country also came from central casting?

Here's his speech, it's worthwhile to at least watch bits and pieces of it

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't many things more irritating for me these days than to have a conversation with an educated, middle class, rah rah Team Republican fanboy who won't admit that this year his team just sucks. It's like talking to TiR about Carolina.

I had one today who refused to admit that Trump's polling numbers are dismal ("That's just media bias, it's going to be a lot closer than you think")
and because of that, says "A vote for Gary Johnson is really just a vote for Hillary (making the wildly inaccurate assumption that anybody who voted for Johnson would have otherwise voted for Trump),
refused to admit that Trump is probably the worst nominated candidate in the history of the country (he went with the very tired "Well anybody is better than Hillary. She's a crook")
and ended with "It just makes me sick to my stomach to think about four years of Hillary. And her making those Supreme Court appointments is going to be the worst thing to ever happen to this country".

I ended this by laughing and saying, "You know what? You're one of those people who lets talk radio tell you what you think about everything. Turn that shit off and just fucking pay attention. And be a good citizen and just don't vote."

That came from a college educated individual with two teenage daughters. I can't imagine anyone who has a daughter and who isn't an evangelical holy roller not being terrified at the prospect of Pence being the proverbial heartbeat away from the White House. Hell, even without a daughter the prospect terrifies me.

I fucking hate Hillary Clinton, and I never dreamed it was possible but I'd vote for her twice if both times my option was a media whore buffoon like Trump, and/or a religious nutsack like Pence.

thewiseben said:
I don't think it's that controversial a point that a for-profit prison system is a really terrible idea. Very glad to get rid of it. Especially considering that it was perfectly legal for the for-profit companies to lobby legislators to lengthen prison sentences, lining their pockets off the unnecessary misery of people. Fuck them and what they stand for.
We incarcerate more people than any country in the world. Introducing financial incentive to incarcerate even more people is insane.

Unfortunately, this legislation only affects private prisons run by the DOJ. Most private prisons aren't federally run, and most of those that are fall under the DHS, so this is really just a drop in the ocean of shittinness.

Re deepdark's post: why are Repubs so worried about Clinton's Supreme Court nominees? Does anyone think she'll appoint someone truly progressive? I expect a bunch of Merrick Garlands if not outright corporate lackeys.

rome8180 said:
Re deepdark's post: why are Repubs so worried about Clinton's Supreme Court nominees? Does anyone think she'll appoint someone truly progressive? I expect a bunch of Merrick Garlands if not outright corporate lackeys.

I think it's mainly a sexist thing that they just assume that Hillary is a Democrat and has a vagina and therefore must be a bleeding heart liberal of the highest order. Other than "crooked" and "emails", I'll bet 95% of them - I got that number from Donald Trump - couldn't tell you anything about Hillary or where she stands on any issue other than healthcare. They believe that Hillary is somewhere left of Bernie Sanders. It would be hilarious, except that I have to live in the same country with these idiots and breathe the same air as them on a regular basis.

Many pro-lifers want a Republican President to tip the Supreme Court so that their hopes of overturning Roe v. Wade once and for all to prevent a "baby holocaust" can stay alive. A quick scan of Matt Walsh's tweets and posts will tell you all you need to know about the delusion. I'm a pro-lifer myself, but as with many Republican positions, I cannot bring myself to identify with their stances anymore, especially when they're trumpeted by someone like Walsh who has become as unhinged as Trump.

And then of course, there's the wholesale ignorance of how a Constitutional amendment actually passes, giving rise to the rampant paranoia that a liberal Supreme Court will start sending in the black helicopters to take yo' guns.

It's a whole alternate reality for these people. How do you say these things without immediately bursting out in uncontrollable laughter?

If any of this is sincere, these are truly the worst human beings on the face of the earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know people completely write off Trump supporters as being the morons of the world but I know a few who are very well educated, and are all around great people. I've known them for years, and have never seen any signs that they support racism or bigotry either. I don't get it.

uncy12 said:
I know people completely write off Trump supporters as being the morons of the world but I know a few who are very well educated, and are all around great people. I've known them for years, and have never seen any signs that they support racism or bigotry either. I don't get it.

It's the Favorite Team Syndrome. Their team is Republican, and they support their team no matter what clown is representing it. I call those Bad Americans.

If the Republicans put out any semi-reasonable candidate out there, would those forever riding the Team Dem bus for Hillary be bad Americans? Favorite team syndrome cuts both ways and is so frustrating as a younger voter.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom