Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

... meanwhile, it looks as though HRC is making the ultimate sacrifice, throwing everyone she knows under the Blame bus, in a thinly disguised effort to save the Democratic party from ever considering running her for public office again.

Good job, Hills. Way to save us from ourselves.

I love how she blames the DNC, who did everything in theor power to make sure she got the nomination.

She is the worst. I bet she runs in 2020, thereby knocking Warren out in splitting female votes. She would be doing everyone that favor, at least.

I understand that feminists feel strongly that we should have a woman President, but picking someone just because she's female and high profile and has "earned the nomination" by being a party shill for decades does none of us any good in the long run. Worst case, she does a terrible job and makes it even harder for a legitimate, competent female candidate in the future ("we tried electing a woman before and JUST LOOK at how that turned out!!").

Meanwhile, across the aisle:

Former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum insisted to a CNN panel on Thursday that renewable energy was not “reliable” enough to replace the Earth’s limited supply of fossil fuels.

“Solar and wind are cheaper than coal,” Granholm pointed out. “Right now, China is cancelling 107 of its coal plants because why? Solar and wind are cheaper than coal. Same in India.”

“It’s not reliable, it’s not consistent,” Santorum opined.

Also, frogs cause warts, cats will steal sleeping babies' breath, and frequent masturbation leads to blindness.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/ric...energy-the-sun-is-not-reliable-or-consistent/

I hate to agree with the fossil fuel crowd as a general rule, but wind power is very inconsistent - sometimes the wind blows and sometimes it does not - and while the sun is reliable, so is night time and for that matter, bad weather can also cut into solar power at unpredictable times. Power systems that rely heavily on solar and wind power need battery backup which is currently quite expensive. Elon Musk is trying to fix this by building his giga plant, but until Musk solves all mankinds problems (I give him a 50/50 shot of succeeding in the next 50 years), reliability is a real problem for renewable power.

Just type "batteries to store renewable energy" into google and pick the news source that you trust most - there are about a hundred articles describing this very real problem with renewable energy.

niveklaen said:
I hate to agree with the fossil fuel crowd as a general rule, but wind power is very inconsistent - sometimes the wind blows and sometimes it does not - and while the sun is reliable, so is night time and for that matter, bad weather can also cut into solar power at unpredictable times. Power systems that rely heavily on solar and wind power need battery backup which is currently quite expensive. Elon Musk is trying to fix this by building his giga plant, but until Musk solves all mankinds problems (I give him a 50/50 shot of succeeding in the next 50 years), reliability is a real problem for renewable power.

Just type "batteries to store renewable energy" into google and pick the news source that you trust most - there are about a hundred articles describing this very real problem with renewable energy.

The alternative is burning stuff. No drawbacks there.

Thank you very much. Thank you. I would like to begin by addressing the terrorist attack in Manila. We’re closely monitoring the situation and I will continue to give updates, anything happens during this period of time, but it is really very sad as to what’s going on throughout the world with terror. Our thoughts and our prayers are with all of those affected.

This is how Trump started off his Paris agreement speech today.

Turns out it was a robbery.

Last edited by a moderator:
rhfarmer said:
niveklaen said:

Oh no doubt renewable is the way to go, but I was responding to someone who was mocking the reliability issue for being bad science when the reliability issue is the one true technical hurdle left to jump. The anti science crowd spouts plenty of false stuff, when they happen to express something that is true we should not pretend that they are wrong

niveklaen said:
rhfarmer said:
niveklaen said:

Oh no doubt renewable is the way to go, but I was responding to someone who was mocking the reliability issue for being bad science when the reliability issue is the one true technical hurdle left to jump. The anti science crowd spouts plenty of false stuff, when they happen to express something that is true we should not pretend that they are wrong

Large scale storage is an issue. Reliability is not an issue. The sun is literally the most reliable thing in our world. So reliable, in fact, that every human civilization to ever exist used/uses it to organize their collective lives.

Biomass & geothermal energy also should be looked at on a larger scale.

Although wind power generation is not perfect (maximizing energy capture/distribution, risks to birds/bats, challenges in colder climates), society needs to continue development in this area to assist with emission reductions. With continued investment, I don't see why the inefficiencies cannot be mitigated.

When I type 'Santorum' in a search engine, I get an interesting result.

Electricity wasn't a viable power option at first. It does take some time and effort to perfect these things.

ZackM said:
niveklaen said:
rhfarmer said:
niveklaen said:

Large scale storage is an issue. Reliability is not an issue. The sun is literally the most reliable thing in our world. So reliable, in fact, that every human civilization to ever exist used/uses it to organize their collective lives.

Deliberately misinterpreting an argument to make it sound ridiculous is not helpful. Solar and wind power cannot reliably supply an electrical grid without battery. That is the reliability issue with renewables. Advocates for renewable energy routinely refer to this as a reliability issue.

http://www.ucsusa.org/clean-energy/how- ... rage-works

"Energy storage plays an important role in this balancing act and helps to create a more flexible and reliable grid system."

https://www.ecowatch.com/how-better-bat ... 97909.html

"Utilities need to deliver reliable and steady energy by balancing supply and demand. While today they can usually handle the fluctuations that solar and wind power present to the grid by adjusting their operations, as the amount of energy supplied by renewables grows, better battery storage is crucial."

http://time.com/4756648/batteries-clean ... enewables/

“Networks care about reliability,” says Logan Goldie-Scot, an energy-storage analyst at Bloomberg New Energy Finance.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... able-power

"Big batteries can house electricity that can be dispatched when the wind isn’t blowing and the sun isn’t shining, making renewable energy more reliable."

https://www.eastcountymagazine.org/eart ... ble-energy

"merely lowering the production costs for existing technologies by a third won’t provide the quantum leap in storage capacity needed to make intermittent renewables as reliable as traditional 'baseload'”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... s-angeles/

"Big, grid-sized batteries can run into the millions of dollars, but the damages from blackouts and power surges caused by wildly fluctuating voltages can easily run into the billions. 'You can get some interesting effects on the grid which are not good if the voltage gets too high or you get some reliability issues,'"

It is ridiculous to quibble with a conservative's use of this description when it is the very description routinely used by renewable energy advocates.

My favorite so far:

18765616_10102088181858811_482895794087744713_n.jpg

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back