Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

Kevin,

I'm not going to quote what you posted for the sake of saving space, but there is something that is being overlooked. Energy is considered a grid due to the way electricity has to be delivered using current (pun intended) tech and sources. Right now, I can power my house and be off the grid with renewable energy. The only storage I need is for me and my family. Totally doable. Nearly every dwelling in the world that is tethered to the grid could cut the cord given access to existing tech, be it solar panels or small wind turbines.

If your primary interest is keeping the grid intact and keeping people paying for energy, then yes, we have a storage problem. If your primary interest is getting off the grid and having energy independence, it's easily doable. Industrial energy needs are another story altogether, but in a world where corporations have every advantage over individuals,I could give a fuck about that,

rhfarmer said:
Kevin,

I'm not going to quote what you posted for the sake of saving space, but there is something that is being overlooked. Energy is considered a grid due to the way electricity has to be delivered using current (pun intended) tech and sources. Right now, I can power my house and be off the grid with renewable energy. The only storage I need is for me and my family. Totally doable. Nearly every dwelling in the world that is tethered to the grid could cut the cord given access to existing tech, be it solar panels or small wind turbines.

If your primary interest is keeping the grid intact and keeping people paying for energy, then yes, we have a storage problem. If your primary interest is getting off the grid and having energy independence, it's easily doable. Industrial energy needs are another story altogether, but in a world where corporations have every advantage over individuals,I could give a fuck about that,

Interesting point. I suspect that transitioning to individual homes/businesses producing and storing their own electricity would be much more expensive than staying with a grid approach due to economies of scale, but everyone could have their own solar cell and battery pack. Here is an article about that idea:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... ities.html

Right now in NC, if you want solar panels installed, there is a company who will do it for free. In exchange, you pay them your average monthly power bill until the panels are paid off. No reason not to switch.

rhfarmer said:
Right now in NC, if you want solar panels installed, there is a company who will do it for free. In exchange, you pay them your average monthly power bill until the panels are paid off. No reason not to switch.
Topher said:
That sounds great, do you know what company that is?

And what is their pricing like?

I can't remember the name of the company, I will dig through some old emails. Basically, my monthly electric bill was already so low that it would actually cost me more to do the program, which I am OK with, just not right this minute.

The pricing is literally free, they do the install, cover all the materials, they do it all. You can either lease the panels or buy them in the program, and your "payment" is basically some amount of money that is the equivalent to the amount of money you save on your electric bill. You are going to give them your federal tax credit as a payment as well.

If you have or can get a HELOC, you can just contract it all out yourself, write off the entire expense, save money oon your power bill and get a 30% federal tax rebate.

If we truly transition to solar and wind, I have no doubt that companies will find a way to monopolize it. They are not going to want people off the grid because they can't make money off of that. I suppose it would start with how solar cells and battery packs are distributed?

As for the whole discussion, I'm not sure what the purpose is. Even if we take into account the current limitations/obstacles of renewable energy, they can still be used to reduce some of the burden of fossil fuel use. It doesn't have to be a complete and perfect solution to be worth doing. The right has made it into an either/or proposition because it suits their purposes. They're basically saying, "Renewable energy in its current form won't power everything, so let's not pursue it at all." That's ridiculous for obvious reasons.

I assume the power company lobbyists will push it as a public safety issue, such as: the average citizen is just too stupid to install and maintain his own power source, creating a hazard for himself, his family, and his neighbors. For the good of the public, XYZ Utility Corp proposes - for a modest fee - to oversee and manage the installation and ongoing safety of these power systems. This will require some sort of meter or monitoring devise be installed in all homes and businesses.
Sort of like how virtually no one in a city can pump drinking water out of their own ground, or collect rainwater for home use, because it's not "safe", even though you can present certified test results that show that that water is cleaner than the municipal water you're forced to pay for (I did this).

Energy efficient vehicles, appliances, homes, are consumer-driven. Gas prices go up, everyone wants a car that gets 30+ MPG. Gas prices are down now, so people are running out and buying obscene, gas-guzzling SUVs again.
The NC utilities (primarily Duke Energy) are going to ask for a 15% rate increase this year, which means they really want a 10% increase. Watch when this happens and see how people are suddenly interested in solar panels and high efficiency heat pumps and LED light bulbs.
Humans are very stupid and nasty animals who will poison our own air, ground, and water and forget that gas was $5.00 only a handful of years ago.

Old people post so much obviously fake stuff to facebook. It's just incredible. One posted a tweet from MaxineVVaters... not Maxine Waters but VVaters. The tweet basically said climate change drove the terrorists to attack London. It's so ridiculous on its face but these Trump lovers are eating it up and then sharing and commenting on it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fli ... mg00000047

I legit loled at this quote because you can pinpoint exactly when he realized that he was talking out loud.

But in his racist remarks, Stair traces the crisis to residents not paying their water bills:

Detroit was charging all its customers for the cost; they weren’t collecting from their residents. They weren’t shutting the water off, they were letting bills go forever, but they were charging everybody else, they covered them. Well, Flint has the same problems as Detroit, fucking niggers don’t pay their bills, believe me, I deal with them. I don’t want to call them niggers, shit, I have, shit, I just went to Myrtle Beach, 24 guys, and I was the only white guy. I got friends, I mean, there’s trash and there’s people that do this. … They just don’t pay their bills. Well, Detroit didn’t collect on their bills, so they charged everybody else, but Flint, Flint had to pay their bill to Detroit.

I am leaning toward wanting this to all be a witch hunt, and for Trump to have had nothing to do with the Russian hacking. I would laugh much harder at the reality of Trump doing nothing 100% wrong/illegal and getting all this shit for months or years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lol I think the pee tape might actually be real.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, great news! NC House has passed a bill that will let anyone above the age of 18 carry a concealed gun without a concealed carry permit, excluding people who are drunk (lol, drinking age is 21, gun toting age is 18) or who are already prohibited from possessing a firearm because of criminal or certified crazy status.

One gun shop owner idiot they interviewed said he supports the bill because "NC is an open carry state, but some people are not comfortable seeing individuals carrying guns openly on their hips, so this addresses that." SERIOUSLY? That's all you got?

But this effectively kills one of the lame arguments that gun toters always use with me, the "CC permit holders are responsible gun owners who had to go through XYZ number of hours of training before they could get a concealed permit." Now your CC permit will be meaningless (plus, I've been told that the "training" is 95% just classroom lectures covering what the law says about carrying a gun, what you should say if you're pulled over by a cop, and the legal ramifications of you shooting someone. It's not a gun safety class, it's a cover your ass class).

So, all of us in NC can look forward to 18-21 year olds in the state exercising their new found right to walk around with a rusty old loaded 38 shoved in the back of their pants. It will be the next cool thing.

deepdarkblue said:
Now your CC permit will be meaningless (plus, I've been told that the "training" is 95% just classroom lectures covering what the law says about carrying a gun, what you should say if you're pulled over by a cop, and the legal ramifications of you shooting someone. It's not a gun safety class, it's a cover your ass class).
I have heard this from multiple people who have taken CC permit classes in at least three different Arkansas counties. In a couple of classes, the cop specifically told the permit owners to be sure to kill the other person. You don't want to leave them alive where they can contradict your story.

I don't know if it still exists, but for a long time people in NC were applying for a Virginia non-resident concealed carry permit. The Virginia permitting course and testing is all done online, and there were plenty of cheat sheets online that gave all the possible answers. A Virginia permit is fully recognized in NC.

All that to say, the whole concealed carry permit thing is complete bullshit and always has been, regardless of where you stand on gun issues.

vPzQSzIQHvIfxRwezJU7NKVKNZW_6w6q0OHOEvGQmXY.jpg

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom