Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

CK86 said:
JohaadDBC said:
Gary Johnson for you?
Most likely, either him or Obama (just because he's so damn likeable despite my disagreements with his policy).

Gary Johnson kind of scares the crap out of me too. Replacing all taxes with the "fair tax"? Cutting $1.5T off the budget next year?

Libertarian party is always sort of represented as the reasonable middle ground, but their platform is pretty darn extreme right now.

I would just like to see real figures detailing specifically how the math would work. I want to see a side-by-side comparison of tax revunue with today's system compared with would-be tax revenue if we used a fair tax for the same year.

^for sure.

It's not like corporations are paying more than 15% with all the loopholes that exist. So it leads me to believe it could work for private citizens.

I also like the culture that it procreates. Saving money, thriftiness etc.

Seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me, although I'm certainly not enough of an economist to really understand the implications. At minimum though, it's an extremely radical idea and would be absolutely disastrous if it didn't work. Combined with the massive, massive spending cuts, Gary Johnson's platform seems terrifyingly extreme to me. I want to like his party, but in reality, but it's about as far from moderate as you can go.

Pants, it really just boils down to how you view the role of government. The vast majority of economists would suggest we expand the government rather than contract it. The problem is, once it expands, it never contracts.

At the very least, we have to get out of Afghanistan and most of the other 200 countries we have military bases in. That would be a good start to economic sanity.

Unfortunately, the party espousing fiscal conservatism thinks we need to expand the military (over the military's recommendation)

rhfarmer said:
Pants, it really just boils down to how you view the role of government. The vast majority of economists would suggest we expand the government rather than contract it. The problem is, once it expands, it never contracts.

At the very least, we have to get out of Afghanistan and most of the other 200 countries we have military bases in. That would be a good start to economic sanity.

It is such an archaic policy/strategy. I know bases have been consolidated here in America, but have there really not been bases being closed in some of these foreign countries over the years?

aiw said:
Unfortunately, the party espousing fiscal conservatism thinks we need to expand the military (over the military's recommendation)

Oh I know. There hasn't been any fiscal conservatism since before Reagan.

Tuesday night?

first-celebrity-reactions-obama-win.gif

rhfarmer said:
aiw said:

Oh I know. There hasn't been any fiscal conservatism since before Reagan.
Gary Johnson, BABY!

Lol love it.

I went to an rally last night where Bill Clinton spoke. I was hanging on every word that came out of his mouth. It was amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to congratulate Mitt Romney on winning the election, seeing as now that the Redskins lost at home today, this one is over.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom