Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

While this article is a few days old, I just read it this morning. This resonated with me, as someone whose parents sacrificed everything to come to the US, to give a young DB and his four year old brother what would be thought of as a better life. I would never fault my parents for doing so, as we have had a fairly good life, comparatively speaking as to what we left behind, and have had incredible opportunities by having come to the US.

However, the last five years have really shown me that what is viewed as "american exceptionalism" has been masking outright selfishness and a lack of understanding of a common good. While amplified by the COVID crisis, it has been on display from the moment that a man like Donald Trump was considered, whether seriously or not, a viable candidate to lead this country. The Oscar Wilde citation really resonated: "that the United States was the only country to go from barbarism to decadence without passing through civilization."

The Unraveling of America: Wade Davis for Rolling Stone

Last edited:
While this article is a few days old, I just read it this morning. This resonated with me, as someone whose parents sacrificed everything to come to the US, to give a young DB and his four year old brother what would be thought of as a better life. I would never fault my parents for doing so, as we have had a fairly good life, comparatively speaking as to what we left behind, and have had incredible opportunities by having come to the US.

However, the last five years have really shown me that what is viewed as "american exceptionalism" has been masking outright selfishness and a lack of understanding of a common good. While amplified by the COVID crisis, it has been on display from the moment that a man like Donald Trump was considered, whether seriously or not, a viable candidate to lead this country. The Oscar Wilde citation really resonated: "that the United States was the only country to go from barbarism to decadence without passing through civilization."

The Unraveling of America: Wade Davis for Rolling Stone
Brutal, but accurate

Poll overall had it Biden49 Trump44, which similar to the national poll a few pages back in the discussion indicating a 57% or so preference for in-person voting, an 42% by mail, except even more partisan split. Even a random ~7% of mail-in ballots not being processed puts that margin back into Trump victory. And that's not accounting for differential of mail slowdowns being concentrated in urban centers, which are likely even more polarized.

Either way, ~40% of the country mailing in ballots means processing what amounts to at least 50 million is going to take quite some time and resources. I suppose exit polls can be modified to make fairly accurate projections even when it will look like a Trump landslide on Nov 3rd, as weird as that looks, if they can suss out these actual percentages day of. I wonder if Networks will feel comfortable using those however.

Last edited:

Susan Rice has vaulted way in front in the VP odds.

Not sure what segment of the population was yearning to watch Hillary speak at this.

So ridiculous. Just picked random dates and rubes are loving it.

PredictIt VP market chat has been almost *exactly* like CBB recruitment chat the last few days/weeks. Plane tracking, volatile changes in who the "favorite" is, lists of options getting reduced, reading way to much into tweets and trying to piece together information that is only slightly related, etc. Biden now calling the other options to let them down one at a time just completes the analogy. Only thing missing is the hats.

Kamala Harris it is. Doubt Biden makes it through his entire term if elected so feel like it's a pretty solid bet that she's running for re-election in 4 years.

How crazy is it that of the two famous Kamala Harrises to exist in human history, one died and one landed on a presidential ticket this week?

Reactions: aiw

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom