Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Politics

If true, it is definitely crazy. I only care about the truth but it will be fascinating how this will be perceived. Will people be outraged at Russia and potentially in turn Trump? Or will it be that this is another DNC "coverup" which the media is taking part in.

Will be interesting to watch it all unfold.

Senator Cory Booker is giving me Obama 2004 flashbacks. He is killing this speech.

Speakers at the DNC have smiles on their faces. I don't think we saw a single smile during the RNC.

Bernie supporters will take this well I'm sure. A 0.01%er telling them they're ridiculous for believing in a revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help but love the Obamas personally even though I disapprove of a lot of Barack's policies on everything from drone attacks to deportations to fracking. But I don't vote on personal likes or dislikes, and despite my warm feelings for her Michelle's speech was mostly pseudo-inspirational nonsense.

On another note, reading back through the last few pages, am I really the only person in this thread who doesn't want lower taxes? Am I the only one who would be okay with higher taxes if they went toward government programs and not to war or corporate bailouts? It would save us all money in the long run. It would create jobs. It could potentially save the planet. Also, am I the only one who doesn't think the minuscule amount we pay toward welfare for people who really need it is a problem? While this country keeps making great strides toward the left in identity politics, it keeps shifting toward the right economically. Even those I thought were liberal in this thread are taking right of center positions in terms of economics. I think that's pretty telling. That's one reason I'm struggling to vote Democrat in this election.

rome8180 said:
I can't help but love the Obamas personally even though I disapprove of a lot of Barack's policies on everything from drone attacks to deportations to fracking. But I don't vote on personal likes or dislikes, and despite my warm feelings for her Michelle's speech was mostly pseudo-inspirational nonsense.

On another note, reading back through the last few pages, am I really the only person in this thread who doesn't want lower taxes? Am I the only one who would be okay with higher taxes if they went toward government programs and not to war or corporate bailouts? It would save us all money in the long run. It would create jobs. It could potentially save the planet. Also, am I the only one who doesn't think the minuscule amount we pay toward welfare for people who really need it is a problem? While this country keeps making great strides toward the left in identity politics, it keeps shifting toward the right economically. Even those I thought were liberal in this thread are taking right of center positions in terms of economics. I think that's pretty telling. That's one reason I'm struggling to vote Democrat in this election.

"I'm OK with higher taxes" is a bit too broad, in terms of who pays those taxes. I'm not OK with higher taxes on households making less than $100k a year. I'm very much OK with raising taxes on people/households making $250k+, and I would be delighted to see a slashing of deductions and loopholes for the One Percenters. But since the One Percenters are the ones who make the laws, I don't expect any of that to happen.

I think in a perfect world "real" democracy, the citizens should be allowed every year to allocate what percentage of their taxes went to which programs. If the war hawks wanted 100% to defense, fine. And people who want none of their taxes going to defense wouldn't have to pay into it. But the fact that Donald Trump has been nominated to perhaps be President of the United States shows us that the citizens of this country are, sadly, too stupid to make these sorts of decisions. Also, the spam emails, phone solicitations and TV ads every year begging for funds for all the programs would be horrendous.

I think tax allocation (or whatever you want to call it) as well as ranked choice voting are two simple things we could do to improve this country dramatically. Unfortunately, neither will ever happen.

I've worked my ass off to grow a successful company, taking great personal financial risk. I have paid well into six figures in taxes the last 4-5 years personally, not counting the many 100s of thousands my company has paid in corporate income tax and matching entitlement payments. I pay at the straight income rate - only taking deductions for charitable donations - which blends to about 30-35%.

Now I don't mind paying a shit ton more than most Americans, knowing that even though I use extremely few direct government services, the indirect benefits that my taxes produce play a huge role in the success/viability of my company. That said, I'm really not of the mindset that I need to be 'doing more'.

I can get behind closing the abominable carried interest loophole, and I would like to see a reduction in military spending (and total dissolution of the TSA). Even though I do a ton of work in the area, I'd be in favor of ending non-profit status for all entities as the area is rife with abuse. Apart from that, I remain extraordinarily wary of how effectively governments use tax dollars, and favor very few 'initiatives' in that realm, especially at the federal level where retrenchment is exceedingly difficult once things have started.

I think there is plenty of evidence, looking at the rest of the developed world, that pooled resources in the nature of high(ish) tax rates devoted to social programs increase the overall quality of life and save money in the long run.

That said, I don't feel like spending half my day digging up charts and stats (which will be questioned anyway). If anyone wants to have this debate, we can have it some other day when I don't have writing and errands to do.

I'm fine with higher taxes, but want to cut a lot of government programs first.

NCCUknow said:
I'm fine with higher taxes, but want to cut a lot of government programs first.
This. Trim the fat, and let the citizenry know precisely how their taxes are being allocated, and I'd be ok with a tax plan that bases any increases on income level. If the government cannot gain enough from taxes, we're looking at ideas like reallocating National Parks land to create revenue streams.

Shared this on Facebook this morning:

The Republicans had C-list celebrities to speak to average Americans, a grieving mother who basically initiated the "Lock her up" narrative against Mrs. Clinton that persisted the rest of the week, a Hollywood personality from Europe AND stories from friends and families of those killed by illegal immigrants to address the issue of immigration, Rudy Giuliani in a frenzy, and a plagiarized keynote for their opening night.

The Democrats had labor leaders who spoke to/for millions of average working Americans, state Representatives and members of Congress interested in working for party unity, a child of undocumented immigrants AND a DREAM Act child for the immigration portion, Senator Warren bringing facts to the table, Senator Booker and Mrs. Obama appealing to hope, and then Senator Sanders in a sorta reverse Matt Santos moment with his call for party unity.

Someone messaged me overnight to ask why I wasn't on harsh on the DNC as I was the RNC. It's really not difficult to see why when you look at which one's opening night had the most negative energy and which one sounded more of a positive message.

I am perfectly fine paying taxes. However when I see the government buying tanks or planes the commanders don't even want that cost half a billion dollars it makes me irate when they ask for more money. I do alright for myself financially but I have so much debt related to school and 1st jobs that these little tax increases add up.

As an example here in Lincoln, they added a 2% tax on restaurants that only supposed to be downtown to help pay for a new arena. They then shifted it to the entire city. It will never come off the books even after the arena is paid for. So then when they raise our wheel taxes or add more onto our cell phone bills, it adds up. If I owned my own house, I'd be getting hit with property tax increases every year here in Lincoln. It's also why a similar apartment has almost doubled in 4 years.

My wage has increased every time I took a new job but I never make real progress paying off debt since it's all wiped out with new taxes etc. So yeah if they were actually responsible with the taxes then cool but they spend all this money on shit that doesn't work or don't need then ask for more. It's ridiculous. /end rant

I completely agree with objecting to higher taxes given the current government spending. No one but the dumbest xenophobic American cheerleader wants to pay for billion-dollar jets that are never used.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom