Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player R.J. Barrett

Oh yeah, all those shooters in the NBA who improve from 42/30/65 guys to 50/40/90. Happens all the time.

I can see the work ethic/improvement point, but that’s also going to heavily depend on which franchise he’s on, and the odds are not great for him in that regard. The Suns have done nothing to help Booker improve from being the worst defender in the league. The Knicks are just the worst with this kind of thing. The Cavs are the Cavs. He also showed no improvement in his shooting in the past 2 years.

Yeah, my counterpoint on the work ethic side is that clearly the worth ethic hasn't helped him improve his shooting at all so far. Maybe he's Kawhi Leonard. Probably not.

With Kawhi, there were signs. Not neon flashing signs, but enough to at least somewhat explain what he has become. 73% FT as freshman to 76% FT as sophomore. 21% 3pt to 29% 3pt.

Maybe if Barrett stuck around, we would see the same sort of progress, maybe not. With Kawhi, 76% FT is on another level from Barrett and the jump in 3pt% was stark.

Work ethic is overstated anyway. I guarantee you there are thousands of people throughout the decades to work as hard as Jimmy Butler and never even make a pro roster, let alone see his kind of massive improvements.

Looking at all star wings and SGs the last 5 years at similar ages to RJ:

Paul George: 90%(!) FT shooter his last year at Fresno State, though to be fair, "only" 70% his freshmen year. Averaged ~40% from deep over his college career.

Kawhi Leonard: The prototypical example of improving your shooting, still a 72% FT shooter his freshmen year, and 76% when he graduated

Kevin Durant: Good FT shooter at age 18 as expected, at near 82%

Klay Thompson: 90% FT shooter freshmen year

Victor Oladipo: legit bad shooter at age 18, 61% FT and 30% from deep. Maybe RJ's only lifeline here. Though he got it up to 75% the very next year, so maybe it was more of a fluke.

Bradley Beal: 77% at Florida.

Khris Middleton: 75% at age 18

D'Angelo Russell: 75% at OSU

Dwyane Wade: "Only" 69% at age 18 at Marquette, got it up to 75% the next year

DeMar DeRozan: Another mediocre FT shooter at 65% during his USC year. Probably not the guy you want to be as a "franchise talent"

Jimmy Butler: 77% from the line age 18

Gordon Hayward: 81% age 18 at Butler

Carmelo Anthony: 71% at Syracuse age 18

Kyle Korver: 90% guy age 18 at Creighton

----

Seems like the biggest leap occurs between the age 18/19 to 19/20 season. We'll know real, real fast if RJ is ever going to make anything of himself in terms of becoming a shooter.

I don't get that first tweet. He needs to get better at not making bad/telegraphed passes, but RJ had more assists to cutters (including some tough passes) in the halfcourt in the past two games than Tre has had over... I dunno, the second half of season?

I think he’s harping on the tunnel vision critique. Once Barrett got going downhill, he threw up too many bad shots instead of looking to pass at all. I feel like that got better later in the season but it was infuriating for a while. Barrett’s assists were probably more from the perimeter or midrange than as a Kyrie/Harden type who creates for everyone after breaking down the defense.

One of the main things that makes me think Barrett has a chance to be a great NBA player is his relationship with Steve Nash.

I'm not as disgusted with RJ as others here. He re-classified to be in this class and really should have been a high school Senior right now. He's been the guy that K made him into being the whole year. From the Maui Tourney until Sunday night he's been the same dude, leading the team in scoring and playing 40 minutes without a break. Could we have done without his missing FT's and turnovers? Why certainly, but we could have used some 3's from Cam, AOC, Tre, and Jack White as those were the other options. Because without anyone else opening the floor up Zion had no space to work inside. And that leaves RJ to create scoring opportunities which he did all season.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom