Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player R.J. Barrett

I'm pretty high on Barrett in 4 years, I think. It all comes down to whether or not you think he'll figure out a consistent 3PT/FT shot. I'd be shocked if he didn't. He's 18, his form is most fine, and he's had flashes of getting hot, and I think his 3PT% is where it is more due to shot selection more than shooting ability. As far as overall offensive skill, he was pretty much unstoppable with actual space to attack, and just horrible when faced with any sort of packed in congestion.

It does seem true to me that he's shown the ability to do everything else he'll need to do to be a max contract guy through his prime, just not yet consistently. I actually think he improved a ton over the year in certain areas - he wasn't getting 10 assist games in December, and also seemed to learn how to feel his way around rim defenders rather than just elbowing them in the chest - and even with a conservative learning curve, I'd expect him to roughly follow the Winslow trajectory, just with a higher usage/ceiling.

Yeah Pants, Barrett (unlike Cam) seemed to legitimately get better at not charging over the course of the season.

Zion and Barrett will be perennial all stars imo. No one else on the roster will have much success in the NBA.

Last edited:
I think RJ will be a (relative) bust. Not high on anyone besides Zion of our four guys.

He may put up good but inefficient counting stats, just because he'll be on a bad team and doesn't lack for confidence.

The one thing that feels really elite and translatable with RJ is how slippery he is on the break. When he attacks from the wing, he really understands how to slip between defenders and finish.

Otherwise, he's like a skinny Jabari.

I think it all depends on the coaching he gets at the next level. He's got a lot of skills. Great motor, very good size and athleticism, nice handle and court vision. If he refines his shooting - a big if, but his form doesn't look bad and he is 18 - and has a coach with bigger balls than K to get in his grill about decision making, he certainly could be great. Likely a hard worker and definitely an aggressive, tenacious mentality (which will play a lot better if he makes better decisions). I think his range is Kidd-Gilchrist to PG13. I think he's got a lot stronger face than Jabari, if not quite as much verve.

The pro coaching is key, that is a good point. In addition, perhaps even more importantly given how much pro players are left to develop on their own, hiring the right specialized trainers will be the big difference maker for him. Hanlen (who he has already worked with), Idan Ravin, as a couple examples.

He will be fine in the NBA, he'll take bumps for a couple of years, but no way will he flame out.

Reactions: TBC
I think he's going to be very effective in the NBA. He's going to be used a ton in ball screens. I'm not sure many other college coaches would've used him the way Coach K did, it probably hurt the team at times, but it was big for his development, imo.

Although, damn, 33.6% of players surveyed said Coach K is the coach they'd most like to play for other than their own coach. Izzo was second with 6.4% or the vote.

This is a generation of players who grew up in a world where Coach K is synonymous with "The GOAT." Seems like that propaganda (not that it isn't true) has been super effective.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom