Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player R.J. Barrett

Really remarkable how effective the Duke marketing is. I mean, those numbers for Coach K is a massive blow out.

The media is responsible for this by talking about Zion to the Knicks as if it was the most likely scenario. I understand why they did it -- because it was the most exciting thing to talk about -- but it produced some odd sentiments in fans and casual observers. I saw someone on Facebook paint Knicks not getting Zion as a "shocker."

I also don't know where the idea that being a Knick helps marketing comes from. It sounds nice in theory, but I don't think the Knicks have had one of the 5 most popular NBA players at any point in my 30 years as an NBA fan. Did Sprewell or Carmelo sell more jerseys in NY than GS/Denver respectively? Did Porzingis do that much better than a guy like Doncic or Jokic or Towns?

I also don't know where the idea that being a Knick helps marketing comes from. It sounds nice in theory, but I don't think the Knicks have had one of the 5 most popular NBA players at any point in my 30 years as an NBA fan. Did Sprewell or Carmelo sell more jerseys in NY than GS/Denver respectively? Did Porzingis do that much better than a guy like Doncic or Jokic or Towns?

Reigning Kia NBA Most Valuable Player Stephen Curry and defending NBA Champion Golden State Warriors retained top honors on the NBA's Most Popular Jersey and Team Merchandise lists. Results are based on NBAStore.com sales from October 2015 through December 2015 and reflect a record-breaking holiday shopping season. NBAStore.com had its largest Black Friday (Nov. 27) and Cyber Monday (Nov. 30) in history, with combined sales up 20 percent from the previous year.

Rounding out the top five players are the Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James (No. 2), the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant (No. 3), the New York Knicks' Kristaps Porzingis (No. 4), who earned a spot on the list for the first time after a sensational start to his rookie year, and the Oklahoma City Thunder's Kevin Durant (No. 5).

https://www.nba.com/2016/news/01/20...obe-bryant-top-nba-jersey-sales-list-2015-16/

Porzingis was #7 in 2017 and 2018. I don't think Towns was close to Porzingis in any of these seasons.

In 2012-2013, Carmelo Anthony had the best selling jersey in the NBA.

I would say yes, there is definitely an increase in brand when coming to the Knicks. Porzingis and Anthony weren't even top shelf players like LeBron and Curry, for example.

Also, I know it's two completely different sports, but as a rookie Saquon Barkley was #6 in jersey sales last year and Odell Beckham Jr was #10 in the NFL.

There is a huge hype train in New York. Porzingis jersey sales went nuts for a while in his rookie season when he proved he simply wasn't a bust. In 2012, Jeremy Lin finished #2 in jersey sales behind Derrick Rose. That might be due to so many Asians buying his jersey- but the hype for Lin in New York during that stretch was absolutely bananas.

You also have to keep in mind the Knicks yearly suck big ass. If they Knicks were ever consistently good, like they were in 2012 when Carmelo finished #1 in jersey sales, NY will absolutely adore the super star. The Knicks are a big deal in NY. Zion would jump into the top 3 jersey sales immediately upon being drafted by the Knicks, and potentially finish #1 his rookie season.

If Durant comes to New York, I'm positive he will be #1 in jersey sales.

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom