Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

DukeNukem05 said:
fucking power outages.
I'm amazed we didn't lose power last night. Was out walking the dog, and the wind was tossing the power cables on my street around like those inflatable things you see in front of stores.

Walmart was surprisingly calm this morning. Probably picked up once the church/lunch crowd got out.

More sleet than snow over here through the night. Kids went sledding on the slope in our driveway all morning, and they barely left tracks. Not sure how much is actually going to thaw out. At best, 2-3 hour delay tomorrow, if not another day off.

Schools out today and tomorrow in Durham. Lows of 5 and -1 will probably put Thursday and Friday at risk.

Ocean temperature in Nags Head is 34 degrees. I've never seen it that low in 21 years of living here.

Just a general PSA that if you've been on the verge of signing up for an internet dating site, this is the week to take the plunge. The 50 Shades of Grey Effect is in full force and those sites are crawling with women not-very-subtly prowling around for sex. Waste no time, we may not see this level of horniness in the nation's women for years to come.

torontoduke said:
^Gulf stream is all fucked up, which is another sign of climate change impacts

Gulf stream is actually widening, and slowing down. This, apparently, forces the Labrador current to squeeze up against the East Coast of the US, exacerbating erosion while also accelerating and increasing sea level rise on coastlines adjacent to the current. Which is basically the entire East Coast of North America north of Cape Hatteras.

Drill, baby, drill.

FWIW, I surfed today, and it was pretty cold but it wasn't excruciating.

It's snowing again today but this is my favorite kind of snow. There will be an inch or less and clear streets by the time I get off work. I hate when it snows overnight, takes forever for them to plow and it's a mess during my drive to work. But I can deal with this very minor snow.

I was sitting at the kitchen bar and heard the pipe burst almost right under my feet (luckily my house is on stilts). Ran outside (mind you it's 12 degrees) to check it out. Go down my stairs and I can hear a fucking waterfall coming out of my first floor. I have a sweat shirt on.

The break is an inch outside the new addition I'm working on underneath my house for some down and out TDF'er that needs an apartment at the beach. So, I go into my unfinished apartment, turn on the lights, find my work light and shine it up where the water is coming out. The insulation is like a pink block of ice with water pouring out of it. The water is pouring onto my carport, and running down my driveway into the street. It's freezing as it comes out of the insulation. I run around the back of my house to find the shut off that's on the NE corner of the house. Turn the valve, and water starts shooting out of that!

Go back inside, grab some pliers and head to the shut off out by the street. Can't open the shut off lid, because it's fucking frozen shut by the ice storm we had last night. Go back inside, grab a pry bar and head back to the shut off by the street. Pry it open, and shine my light in. I kid you not, there are 50 roaches and I don't know how many fucking black widows in there and I don't have gloves on, even though it's 12 degrees outside.

Fuck it. I reach in, put my pliers on the shut off which is also frozen open by the ice storm. It won't close. Run back into the house and get a big monkey wrench. Run back out. Monkey wrench won't turn because it's 12 degrees outside. Grab the pliers and finally manage to close the shut off valve after cutting my knuckles on metal in the 12 degree weather.

Did I mention it was 12 degrees?

That sucks Farmer. In my first year of owning this house, my pipes burst in the garage. Had to pull insulation out of the ceiling, replace the vacuum (central vac mounted on wall)....it sucked.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom