Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

ZackM said:
Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen any terrible ratings for a Fusion.

I think Consumer Reports was down on it but I may be wrong

I drive 540 in rush hour every day. It's the Thornton damn worst.

I remember when no one took 540. I lived off Leesville on the Durham side of 540. No traffic jams, hardly any cars and no bullshit. Now I hear stories and I am glad I moved.

Data on which sex acts cause men and women to orgasm most frequently. Unsurprisingly, men orgasm about 90% of the time no matter what.

Somewhat more surprisingly, anal sex was the most effective way for both men and women to orgasm. Of course, that might be skewed by small sample size. Also surprising was that women orgasm more from giving oral sex than from penile-vaginal sex (though of course it's unclear whether the orgasms were actually a result of the specific sex act). Maybe it's just the case that those sexual encounters which involved anal were more likely to involve multiple different sex acts and to be more sexually adventurous. But women giving oral doesn't seem like it would correlate in the same way.

Either way, only anal and head for me from now on...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the- ... _cid=538fb

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.

Been building myself a fancy bedframe on my parents' deck out in the country, and tarping it in between work sessions. Must have gotten lazy with weighing it down last night, because apparently a corner blew off and it got rained on today. Fuckity fuck. Still unfinished, untreated fucking wood, of course.

How worried should I be? Warping? Staining? Something I'm not even thinking of yet?

Pantone287 said:
Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.

Been building myself a fancy bedframe on my parents' deck out in the country, and tarping it in between work sessions. Must have gotten lazy with weighing it down last night, because apparently a corner blew off and it got rained on today. Fuckity fuck. Still unfinished, untreated fucking wood, of course.

How worried should I be? Warping? Staining? Something I'm not even thinking of yet?

Put it somewhere dry and let it dry out. Grain will be raised, but you can just sand that down. Shouldn't be any long term issues.

What kind of wood?

Whew. Just your basic untreated pine from Lowe's, with a little Douglas Fir mixed in. Reports are that it's actually barely wet. Scared the shit out of me, given how much time I've put into it already. I was going to need to do some final fine sanding before staining anyway, so that's no big deal. Hopefully it doesn't warp or stain at all.

Pantone287 said:
Whew. Just your basic untreated pine from Lowe's, with a little Douglas Fir mixed in. Reports are that it's actually barely wet. Scared the shit out of me, given how much time I've put into it already. I was going to need to do some final fine sanding before staining anyway, so that's no big deal. Hopefully it doesn't warp or stain at all.

What color are you staining it? Pine doesn't stain well at all. Also, unless you bought kiln dried, that wood was already very wet. The rain probably didn't do anything.

My real recommendation is to not use pine.

It is kiln-dried. Well, was.

Yeah, I've been reading the horror stories of staining pine. I'm thinking I'm going to try a pre-stain conditioner and then use a gel oil stain, and hope for the best re: blotching.

I want to use something like the below shade (not mine) for the main portion, and then something like a dark walnut for some trim. I'm also about to move into an apartment with a lot of old exposed brick and whatnot, so I'm figuring it might not look bad even if it's not perfectly uniform.

Is there a way to tint at all with poly? The natural shade of pine is just so bright to me.

QYCw3sj.png

ZackM said:

I mean, I'd love to be able to use oak or something, but it's so expensive. $200-300 seemed like a good range for this project.

Pantone287 said:
ZackM said:

I mean, I'd love to be able to use oak or something, but it's so expensive. $200-300 seemed like a good range for this project.

Only if you're buying S4S lumber. Rough sawn oak or maple are much more affordable. What kinds of tools do you have?

To piggyback on Ben's unfortunate apostrophe'd comment, is PolyShades an option? Basically tinted polyurethane. I've had it turn out well for some cheap lipstick on some old cabinets in a "renovation."

Not much at all since I live in an apartment. My dad's got some basic stuff like drills and a hand sander, but I had to use their neighbors circular to cut the boards, for example. Nothing like a planer or a jointer.

bfactor said:
To piggyback on Ben's unfortunate apostrophe'd comment, is PolyShades an option? Basically tinted polyurethane. I've had it turn out well for some cheap lipstick on some old cabinets in a "renovation."

Isn't that basically a time-saving 2-in-one that combines stain and poly? I'm not sure that would give better results than staining and sealing in separate steps.

I may be wrong as it's been a few years, but I don't think that the stain component really penetrates like a traditional stain. More of a tint that sits on the surface.

Pantone287 said:
Not much at all since I live in an apartment. My dad's got some basic stuff like drills and a hand sander, but I had to use their neighbors circular to cut the boards, for example. Nothing like a planer or a jointer.

That sounds awful. I can't imagine trying to do a legit wood working project without at least a table saw. My jointer, planer, table saw, and miter saw get used on literally every single piece I make.

Sorry, miter saw, not table saw. Their neighbors actually have a pretty nice workshop that they've been great about letting me use, but I can't just set up shop there.

I imagine I'll eventually load up on tools once I'm a bored dad that needs a hobby because I do enjoy this kind of stuff, but that's probably a decade or so away.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom