Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

This has the chance to be the worst run of sports shittiness in my life.

Sat Duke gets fucked over against Miami
Sat Mets blow 8th inning lead in the WS
Sun Mets blow 9th inning lead (for the 2nd time) and lose WS
Mon Panthers???

It's almost inevitable they lose. Huge favorites at home against a team with injured/backup QB?

And the basketball team will look mediocre at their exhibition game on Monday, and we'll learn that that groin injury to Matt Jones will keep him out for the season.

Does Verizon have serious hacker issues? I've never seen such draconian log-in and password rules. Makes my bank look lax.

I wish TorontoDuke was gay and unmarried, so I could marry him for Canadian citizenship and we could listen to vinyl together all day.

torontoduke said:
I think it's really cool how they get signs to levitate in Canada

john-mccrae-public-school-students.JPG

So, I want to get a car (because Northeastern PA is awful for walking or public transport).

Here are my issues:

1) I have a lot of money in the bank. More than the value of the cars I'm looking at. However, my credit sucks.

2) My roommate is going to benefit from the car too. He has good credit and a good income, but less actual money than me right now.

3) I would like to get something that won't break down all the time. I've been traumatized by my old cars in the past, which were just sinkholes for money. To that end, I'd like to get something no older than 2005. Even that feels like pushing it, especially if it has too much more over 100,000.

4) If I am going to get something on the older end, I'd want one of the reliable brands. (I've always understood these to be Honda or Toyota.)

5) If I'm going to get something relatively new, brand probably doesn't matter as much.

Best course of action? Financing? Just buy something in the 3-4K range outright? If I finance, will my roommate have to cosign so I don't get shafted? Does bank account balance count in my favor at all? Is it worth financing and paying more in the long run for, say, a 12,000 car? Or is the difference in reliability not significant enough to justify that? What is a typical interest rate and % of money down? Also, what about leasing? It's hard to get actual quotes on any of these things online.

Take a look at a 2008 Honda Accord. I just did some messing around on a car site, and it said for about 7 thousand you can a 2008 Honda Accord in "clean condition".
Clean - Some normal wear but no major mechanical or cosmetic problems; may require limited reconditioning.

and it had 90,000 miles.

I can't answer all of your questions, but if I were you, I would go for a used Camry, Corolla, or Accord. As long as you can find one that has been taken care of, it should run for a long, long time and be reliable. Personally, I would finance as little as possible, but I am pretty debt-averse. A car is not good debt. I paid cash for the last two vehicles I bought (and I bought them new), so I don't know much about financing vehicles these days. Around here, there never seems to be a shortage of "0% for 60 months!!!" offers.

0% offers are always for tier one and tier two credit scores, which would be something like 660 and up, which might be out of your range. You could have someone co sign a loan for you in order to get the 0% financing, which means you are just buying a car with free money from the bank, which is great.

Personally, I love new cars, so I look for cheap leases. You can lease a BMW for the same payment as buying a Camry.

Hondas and Toyotas will run forever as long as they've been reasonably maintained. I know several people who have Toyotas with well over 200k miles and they're still rolling along. If I were you, I'd get one of those and pay cash for it. That way if you decide to suddenly give all your money to charity (or me), you won't have that pesky monthly payment hanging over your head.

You're talking about "all my money" like it's not 1/10th of what NOD earns in a year.

I do think this is the tactic I'm going to take. As long as it's not 15 years old and over 150K I feel pretty good about it.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom