Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

One more thing, I got a multi split, and they are pre charged with refrigerant. If you're handy, you can run the line sets yourself, and you just need someone to vacuum the air out of the lines. My father in law is an electrician, he and I set up the shut off switch to the outside of the house, I built a stand for the outdoor unit, and he ran wire to a new breaker in my panel and all of that took a little over an hour. Running the line sets to 4 units took about 6 hours. That's another reason the HVAC guys don't want Mini's being installed, they charge a bundle to duct a house.

Think of all the space you lose in your house to HVAC--a big closet with an air handler, all the duct work, all the vents everywhere. You don't need any of it. Maybe someplace really, really cold, but you wouldn't want a heat pump anyway if you lived in Detroit, you'd want a furnace.

So for a noob's benefit - how does that work as far as individual room control? Do you just set timers in each room anticipating when you'll use them, or do you just turn them on as needed and they work quickly enough in the wintertime?

dkst0426 said:
So for a noob's benefit - how does that work as far as individual room control? Do you just set timers in each room anticipating when you'll use them, or do you just turn them on as needed and they work quickly enough in the wintertime?

Every room or group of rooms has it's own thermostat. In terms of how you control it, it's just like a normal central AC/heat pump.

Take a look here: http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/how_ms_works.htm

They cost more than traditional duct work heat pumps, but they're ridiculously efficient. Several have SEER ratings above 30.

Now I just need to figure out what it'll cost me to get rid of all these holes in my walls and hardwood floors when I ditch my central air.

dkst0426 said:

Each individual unit has a built in thermostat and a remote control. I was just out of town and had a house sitter. I turned the unit in my babies room off, and my house sitter could set the unit in the living room on whatever he wanted, and the unit in my babies room stays off.

If you have hvac, all you can do is close a vent, but the air is still being blown to that register, whether you want it to or not.

rhfarmer said:
dkst0426 said:

Each individual unit has a built in thermostat and a remote control. I was just out of town and had a house sitter. I turned the unit in my babies room off, and my house sitter could set the unit in the living room on whatever he wanted, and the unit in my babies room stays off.

If you have hvac, all you can do is close a vent, but the air is still being blown to that register, whether you want it to or not.

Also, hvac systems are pressure balanced and are designed with the assumption that every single vent and every room door will be open at all times. Closing vents and closing off rooms puts an added strain on the system as it tries to compensate for that "missing" air. Long term it will shorten the lifespan of the system.

I imagine a lot of people wouldn't like the sight of a wall-mounted unit in each room/zone. My wife would never allow that in our home.

physicsfactor said:
I imagine a lot of people wouldn't like the sight of a wall-mounted unit in each room/zone. My wife would never allow that in our home.

They aren't like they were, when you just had that one big rectangular box on the wall. Now you can get something like this

artcool%20inverter_20121212155341_1.jpg

http://www.lg-dfs.com/art-cool-gallery.aspx/LA090HVP

or this

Ceiling%20casette_large_20130603090750.jpeg

that goes in the ceiling.

There are also floor mounted units that you could conceal behind some furniture.

I went with the big ugly boxes, which are not that big anymore and not that ugly.

They will have my $20 too. Sad part is they will probably get $100 from families who can't afford to put food on the table.

deepdarkblue said:
They're projecting it to be over 1.3 bil next drawing. I'm ok with throwing a twenty at that.

At 1-to-292M odds and $2 tickets, this means you actually get a positive expected return for each ticket purchased.

Will it still be positive after factoring in probability of splitting pot?

I can't believe that it's gotten so high. This is amazing. I will also drop a $20 on this.

sivartrenrag said:
Will it still be positive after factoring in probability of splitting pot?

I can't believe that it's gotten so high. This is amazing. I will also drop a $20 on this.

Yeah, I had assumed that with the number of tickets sold, there would have been multiple winners last night.

I will also be dropping a twenty on this. If there is a single winner, and it's a 30 year annuity, I believe the winner is looking at close to 2 million per month after taxes. Is that correct, math guys?

I propose that of any of us wins, we split the money evenly among the regulars here, except for NOD, who's already rich.

I'm tempted to buy some tickets too. Why? I'm a rational person. It's an categorically stupid thing to do.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom