Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Semi Ojeleye

Holy fucking shit.

Even if he's like our 11th man, how nice will it be to have that kind of intimidating physicalness as a luxury? Seems like we always sort of "run out" of athleticism at some point in most seasons, when we just know we've got to make the best with what we've got, if that makes any sense. There's just no end to it on this team, though.

If Joel Embiid can be a top 5 pick without knowing how to play basketball, Semi should easily project as first rounder. He has the body of LeBron and at least 1/10th of his skill.

If he has a Thorton bulldog attitude on the court... I think i'd fall in love.

Jesus fuck even if he can't shoot a lick you think that 'oop would be a viable offensive play on occasion.

Thing is, he can shoot. He's not a marksman yet, but I think he could knock down open 3s at a rate comparable to Thornton last year.

My official hope for Semi's career is Thornton's game in LeBron's body.

Terrible defense on that play.

I think he's a 1st rounder if leaves after this season without playing a minute. He just has to walk into the NBA workouts naked. His options in life:

1. Stay 4 years, then get a Duke MD and be a doctor like his dad.

2. Stay 3 years, go top 10 in the NFL draft as long as he runs a 4.5 40, become one of the greatest players in NFL history.

3. Leave at any time to go 1st round in the NBA draft, become at worst the superhuman version of Jimmy Butler or Danny Green.

You know he's not going to mess around with drugs, hookers, etc. His body will be pristine well into his late 30s. Fortunately for us he is the quintessential Duke kid so he'll stick around and try to graduate in 3 years.

This is old, but worth raising again in light of the fact that no one expects anything out of him this season:

He scores in bunches, breaks state records, wins championships, has signed with a powerhouse program, and even had enough time left to earn the title of valedictorian at his high school. Edging out several other talented and worthy finalists, Semi Ojeleye is the 2012-13 Parade Boys Basketball Player of the Year. In our 57th year of giving the award, he might be the most impressive winner yet.

This year, Ojeleye was one of the nation’s most prolific prep scorers, averaging more than 38 points per game for Ottawa High School, located just outside of Kansas City in the basketball-crazy state of Kansas. The 6-foot-6 small forward has signed a letter of intent with Duke—his 4.0 grade-point average and membership in the National Honor Society making him a nice fit at a school known for its blend of academics and basketball excellence.

This past season, Ojeleye’s high school team went 25-0 and captured its state title, while he set career and senior-year scoring records (2,763 and 952 points, respectively) for the state of Kansas. No mean feat, especially when you consider that the career mark had stood for 17 years. Along with his ability to score, he also averaged nine rebounds, two assists, and two steals a game. He also shot 38 percent from 3-point range and 82 percent from the free-throw line.

He was a 38% 3pt shooter as a junior and senior while being the focus of every defense he faced. He should be able to shoot at least that well at Duke as the afterthought being left open at all times. Rivers was 33% as a senior and we learned that was because he was always heavily defended, not because his shot was poor.

I'd like to think he will pick up the defense quickly because he's super smart and hard working and has insane athleticism. So if we have a guy who is good at 3s and defense and can probably box out, who is the better option to take those minutes along with our Big Three plus Amile?

I wonder what his usage rate was during his senior year.

Wow, what an amazing dunk.

Do you see Semi in a role that is similar to Behanan of Louisville?

ZackM said:
I wonder what his usage rate was during his senior year.

I wonder what the record for usage rate is. Probably set by Pete Maravich.

@SMTTEM, regarding defense on the Semi dunk. Looks like they were practicing a half court zone trap...

I just thought it was interesting that they were practicing something that a Coach K will probably never use, and the result being what it was.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I was joking about the defense. I would expect some huge jackasses to criticize the defense on that play.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what happened on another board.

What is sarcastic here is serious there.

(Farmer, practicing that could have been just as much about the offensive side of things as the defense. Cuse will be our biggest competition in the league after all.)

Looks ok so far.

I'd like to see more of him crashing the boards - has the quickness and strength to help out there.

Any 3s he hits are gravy.

torontoduke said:
Looks ok so far.

I'd like to see more of him crashing the boards - has the quickness and strength to help out there.

I have no problem with Ojeleye giving up a couple of inches in the post if that's what gets him on the floor. If Amile's in foul trouble, and the team doesn't have a 6'11+ guy, I like Ojeleye out there with Parker and Hood in the frontcourt. He and Parker can switch big-big screens no problem, and can recover quikcly enough to defend the guard-big pick-and-rolls.

Just seeing the dunk posted above. My first thought was "Wow"!!

Then I noticed he stepped out bounds so the entire play was illegal and therefore not nearly as impressive.

childress22 said:
torontoduke said:
Looks ok so far.

I have no problem with Ojeleye giving up a couple of inches in the post if that's what gets him on the floor. If Amile's in foul trouble, and the team doesn't have a 6'11+ guy, I like Ojeleye out there with Parker and Hood in the frontcourt. He and Parker can switch big-big screens no problem, and can recover quikcly enough to defend the guard-big pick-and-rolls.

And his shooting stroke looks good, at least on wide open set shots. That's enough to draw people out of the lane to create space for Hood and Parker drives.

I know, it's weird.

Will opposing players bother to chase him out of the paint when they see his physique?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom